KTM Duke 390 Forum banner

101 - 120 of 127 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Thanks much, but my confusion about that is because of the instructions on BoosterPlug’s web site. For the 2017+ Duke it shows the plug to use is hanging off the airbox on the right side of the bike just behind the rear shock. Then weirdly for the RC390 it shows where you’re talking about. I can’t imagine why it would be different between the two bikes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I'm not sure what went wrong when BP made the manual but on my bike (2017 model) it's mounted as shown for the RC (top left side of the engine)
good luck, it did wonders for my bike and I'm very happy with it :)

·
Registered
144 Posts
I'm not sure what went wrong when BP made the manual but on my bike (2017 model) it's mounted as shown for the RC (top left side of the engine)

Awesome, thanks!

·
Registered
144 Posts

I finally got my Booster Plug, and it’s Duke-specific. It’s a different connector than the one for the RC, so it doesn’t appear that it will mount where you mounted yours. The connector you’re talking about is oval shaped. Mine is round. So I guess my only choice is to mount it on the right side of the bike by the airbox.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Got it installed, though I haven’t ridden it yet. The install was surprisingly painful, though it’s KTM’s fault, not Booster Plug. The stupid cover over the AIT was impossible to remove, so I just broke it to get it off. I really don’t see what purpose it serves other than maybe to keep exhaust heat off the connector, but it’s pretty far away. So I might just leave it. I put the sensor pretty far back on the sub-frame, so it should be fine.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Let me know how you like it.

I rode it a bit today (just a short one), but it seems to do exactly what it did for my BMW... just smooths out the throttle response. I’ll ride more tomorrow. I’d also swear the fan came on less today, but it was also a bit chilly.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Got it installed, though I haven’t ridden it yet. The install was surprisingly painful, though it’s KTM’s fault, not Booster Plug. The stupid cover over the AIT was impossible to remove, so I just broke it to get it off. I really don’t see what purpose it serves other than maybe to keep exhaust heat off the connector, but it’s pretty far away. So I might just leave it. I put the sensor pretty far back on the sub-frame, so it should be fine.
Strange that they changed the design, I will send them a mail and ask for a comment.

Just a quick heads up, I moved the sensor as I discovered that the sub frame gets quite hot after a longer ride (at least on my bike)
I found a perfect spot for it under the plastic tank shroud on the left side of the bike, it's now placed in the gap between the black and the orange plastic, plenty of air flowing over it during riding and no/limited heat sources.
there is a write up on this in here somewhere

·
Registered
144 Posts
Strange that they changed the design, I will send them a mail and ask for a comment.

Just a quick heads up, I moved the sensor as I discovered that the sub frame gets quite hot after a longer ride (at least on my bike)

I found a perfect spot for it under the plastic tank shroud on the left side of the bike, it's now placed in the gap between the black and the orange plastic, plenty of air flowing over it during riding and no/limited heat sources.

there is a write up on this in here somewhere

Yeah, I saw that write-up, and I really like that location, but I’m not convinced it’s any cooler. Maybe while you’re moving, but when you’re stopped it’s completely dead air in between the two plastic pieces, no circulation at all. And with the sun on the plastic, and the heat rising from the engine and exhaust, it seems like it would be just as bad or worse than the subframe. But an even bigger problem for me is that because of how far back the Booster Plug is mounted, I don’t think the probe wire is long enough to mount it there. I might play around with it today.

·
Registered
442 Posts
The cable can be extended, (cut and solder in a piece of wire)
I was trying to find a better place for the sensor and the thought I had at the time was under the headlight somewhere.. but I was to lazy to cut and extend the cable so it ended up where it is now ;)

·
Registered
442 Posts
Today I remembered to ask Booster Plug about the change :) and it's an easy enough explanation.
During the 2017 KTM changed from TMAP sensor (placed on top of the engine) to a AIT sensor which is placed in the air filter box.
According to Jens from BP the changes are most likely made in order to pass the stricter emission tests as the old TMAP setup was borderline, the new AIT system is a better tech solution
that's why my bike has the old setup, it's one of the early ones.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Today I remembered to ask Booster Plug about the change /forum/images/KTMDuke390Forum_2014/smilies/tango_face_smile.png and it's an easy enough explanation.
During the 2017 KTM changed from TMAP sensor (placed on top of the engine) to a AIT sensor which is placed in the air filter box.
According to Jens from BP the changes are most likely made in order to pass the stricter emission tests as the old TMAP setup was borderline, the new AIT system is a better tech solution
that's why my bike has the old setup, it's one of the early ones.
Just out of curiosity, I wonder what would happen if you put the one for the RC on a newer Duke. That same plug is still there on the Duke just like on the RC, so theoretically you should be able to use either. Hmmm.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Just out of curiosity, I wonder what would happen if you put the one for the RC on a newer Duke. That same plug is still there on the Duke just like on the RC, so theoretically you should be able to use either. Hmmm.
Good question.. I've asked BP, will post when I get a reply

·
Registered
442 Posts
OK I got the answer from BP, once again I have to give them cred for the response time an great support :) I'm amazed how quickly Jens replied to my mails and how much knowlage they have about the different bikes!
The short version is that it won't work.

The top of the engine plug is still in use on the current bike, but it's not exactly the same (although it looks like it) as on the early 2017 models
On the early bikes it's a 4 pin TMAP while on the later bikes (fitted with the AIT sensor) the plug is a 3 pin MAP. So a BoosterPlug for an early model will not work on a later one and vice versa.
The easiest way to define what type you need is to have a look at the right hand side of the air filter box (where the sub frame attaches to the main frame, see pic for details) if you have a wired sensor there you have a later model and will need to purchase the AIT sensor type.

Attachments

·
Registered
144 Posts
OK I got the answer from BP, once again I have to give them cred for the response time an great support :) I'm amazed how quickly Jens replied to my mails and how much knowlage they have about the different bikes!
The short version is that it won't work.

The top of the engine plug is still in use on the current bike, but it's not exactly the same (although it looks like it) as on the early 2017 models
On the early bikes it's a 4 pin TMAP while on the later bikes (fitted with the AIT sensor) the plug is a 3 pin MAP. So a BoosterPlug for an early model will not work on a later one and vice versa.
The easiest way to define what type you need is to have a look at the right hand side of the air filter box (where the sub frame attaches to the main frame, see pic for details) if you have a wired sensor there you have a later model and will need to purchase the AIT sensor type.

Makes sense. Thanks to you and Jens. He is incredibly helpful/ responsive when I’ve talked to him too.

·
Registered
17 Posts
hey guys, i decided im not good enough with tools to fit a rapid bike thing so i ordered and recived a boosterplug today :) i have fitted it and cabletied the sensor thing under the rear subframe as pictured on the this thread, i dont have the oppertunity to go for a ride just now but is there anything i need to do/reset/ switch atall or do i literally just ride it ?

edit i have 2017 :)

thanks all

Adam

·
Registered
144 Posts
hey guys, i decided im not good enough with tools to fit a rapid bike thing so i ordered and recived a boosterplug today :) i have fitted it and cabletied the sensor thing under the rear subframe as pictured on the this thread, i dont have the oppertunity to go for a ride just now but is there anything i need to do/reset/ switch atall or do i literally just ride it ?

edit i have 2017 :)

thanks all

Adam

Great question, you should probably send Jens an email. That being said, I put mine on and started riding. I didn’t pull the battery/fuses/reset. But I’d still like to know what Jens recommends.

·
Registered
17 Posts
been out for a few miles, bike really didnt want to start or tickover at first , it stalled everytime clutch was pulled in , but out about 30 miles on and it seemed better, not sure i can feel much difference if im honest but mayby a bit smoother, wasnt expecting a great deal so so far so good, if i decide to go down rapid bike exclusive route in the future i take it i would then sell the booster plug on not leave it on ?

Adam

·
Registered
578 Posts
been out for a few miles, bike really didnt want to start or tickover at first , it stalled everytime clutch was pulled in , but out about 30 miles on and it seemed better, not sure i can feel much difference if im honest but mayby a bit smoother, wasnt expecting a great deal so so far so good, if i decide to go down rapid bike exclusive route in the future i take it i would then sell the booster plug on not leave it on ?

Adam
Did you do an idle relearn?

·
Registered
682 Posts
Hi Qual,

An idle re-learn probably isn't needed... but it can't hurt. Search the forum & you'll find out how to do it, but from memory you start the bike & let it idle for 15 minutes then turn it off. Don't touch the throttle during the 15 minutes & turn it off promptly the 15 minutes is up.

The boosterplug should start working immediately without any action from you. All it does is tell the ECU the air temperature is cooler than it actually is and the ECU then injects more fuel in line with running at a cooler ambient temp.

On that note, I'm not sure cable tying the sensor to the frame above the exhaust is a good idea. If the boosterplug reads the temp of the hotter air around the exhaust it won't feed the correct temperature info to the ECU. It should be placed in an area away from any heat sources (exhaust, engine, radiator) so it reads as cooler air as possible for maximum effect.

If you do decide in the end to get a RapidBike EVO exclusive... you won't regret it. The booster plug wouldn't be necessary so remove it.

101 - 120 of 127 Posts