KTM Duke 390 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys.
Happy to be here and find this forum of Duke 390 experts.
This may be my first post but, I'll do what I can to help the community when I can.

So, I pick up a brand new 2021 Duke 390 at a dealer today. It had 0 miles on it. I insisted on test driving it since it was a 3 hr. trip to get to the dealer. Everything was fine on the freeway and side roads until 4 warning lights came on the dash all at the same time while I was at a stop light. They were the low oil pressure light, check engine, orange triangle and "kill switch" message. (see attached pic.) The bike never faltered, stalled, stop running, nothing. I rode it into the dealer parking lot 1 extra minute with all the lights on. I had the saleswoman look at and take a picture of all the lights on with the bike still running thinking, it might clear itself after cycling the key off.

So, they rolled it into the shop and said there were no codes and the oil and everything was fine. The guy's English wasn't that great and I think he was trying to tell me something about the first 5 miles on the bike. Well, I put 7 miles on it riding it as if I stole it. I don't believe in babying a motor when it's new, the rings need to be seated and I had this thing revving up to like 8K the whole time. (The blinky red tacho light doesn't stop me).

So, they say to take it out again. Ok, so this time I do all freeway, get her up to about 85 MPH and everything is fine except for one split second all those lights lit up again. I was trying to find the "bad spot" on the RPM gauge of where the bike didn't like me and was blinking the red lights at me. It seemed like it didn't want me over 6.3K RPM which I had been doing in spades.

So, real problem? Or, am I a Delta Bravo for riding the bike too hard when brand new? (She better get used to it Ha ha)

Communication Device Motor vehicle Portable communications device Material property Gadget

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
From what I can gather, you are not supposed to go over 6.3K RPM and if you open the throttle all the way, the bike really hates that. But, to me, you're not hurting anything. Your break-in procedure may vary.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Actually, the bike was still idling when I took this pic. I purposefully left it running to show the sales lady and took this pic. with my own phone before I turned it off. I guess due to the fault, it eliminates some info. off the screen.

The kill switch defintely was in the "run" postion at this time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts