KTM Duke 390 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
here are some pics, continued from my previous Racing Boy Hydraulic Clutch..

I have done several changes on the master pump and ends up wasting too
much time, money and losing patience ...

so here's me biting the bullet ...

1. Brembo RCS19 Hydraulic Clutch and Brake kit
2. Rizoma Hydraulic Reservoir
3. Tylon 6mm Hose
4. Custom Hydraulic Braided Hose
5. Racing Boy Hydraulic Actuator
6. Motul DOT 5.1 Hydraulic oil
7. Rags and buckets of water, hydraulics oil eats up paint and plastic !!!
7. TONNES of patience

no tutorial .. but i lots of nice picture ... promised ! :D:D:D

just FYI, the brembo kits does not come with side mirror adaptor, you much
purchase it separately and also same goes to Hydraulic Reservoir

and here is the result, IMHO

1. Im a 1 finger brake junkie, now with setting to 19mm piston with pivot
distance of 18mm, oppose to stock 8mm piston ... it's either a disaster or Nirvana
solely depends on how hooligans is your taste, for those that loves spongy brake feel, get the RCS16 or stick with stock,
race junkie .... definitely RCS19 ! it has no feel, a slight touch engage braking ...
1 finger braking is possible to stop 43 horses but it may need some time, 2 finger above, ABS kicks in.

1.1 At this point of sharing, i'm upgrading the rotor as i feel 1 finger braking
even on RCS19 is dangerous (due to my need of speed) and if the rotor
dont work as i wanted, it's prolly time to move on bigger caliper 100mm godfather Brembo

2. Clutch .... Hard as a stone ! but ... from pulling 4 to 5cm cable (measured from the end tail of the lever,
now just move 2cm, what u lose if the spongy feel what gain is fast shifter
and the 1million dollar question for converts (cable to hydraulic) will it be hard to find Neutral ... NO ... it's as easy as the non-converts. (pun intended ;))

hope above summaries the thusand of dollars investment ... hahaha
i can't find a smiley that has sad and happy face 2 in 1 ...

another big decision to make is ... Brembo Pumps is a thieve MAGNET,
loose it in seconds ... security bolts is useless, they use HAND SAW !!!

ok .. time to hit the road ... it's 6:30am now and time to break-in the rotors!!!

·
Registered
817 Posts
Thanks for the pics mate, who do you use for all of your parts? Your prices are much more competitve than mine.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry Dan, i didn.t get your question. Mine to advice again ?

Below are price breaks
RCS19 = $850
Rizoma tank = 270
6mm tube = $10
Side mirror bracket mount = 160
hydraulic cable = $80
hydraulic actuator = $80

my bad, total USD1,450.00

Thanks for the pics mate, who do you use for all of your parts? Your prices are much more competitve than mine.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i'll prolly get a 84mm rear and 100mm P34 front new brembo calipers ... now i'm waiting for my friend to figure how to fabricate a new mount to the existing brackets ....

·
Registered
208 Posts
It looks really great. I'm more interested on how those brakes perform. Could you give some details on your experience with them. A bit of a before and after?

It might also be nice to get a picture or two from a bit further away from the bike.

Awesome job though. And it ended up being cheaper than I thought it would be.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It was in the powerparts catalog and MRSP about USD380 , bought it for the
performance i expect it would give as currently braking seem abit unresponsive as i love to speed in high traffic and it's dangerous to have
a slow braking power and with my old habit of using 1 finger braking seems
impossible to stop the bike on time

with the change, the improvement doesn't show after about 50km ...
i can justify that the brake now improve tremendously with stock pad but the
cons is now it gives the usual braking noise ... but i can live with it so long
the braking power is there. i give an improvement of 30% and now 1
fingering braking is possible for normal stop and go but of cos emergency
braking still best at 2 finger above ...

i'm ordering the rear Disc Rotor to match to performance of the front Rotor.
I manage to find the matching wavy rotor at Galfer.com part # DF790W for rear and for front if you can beat USD380 the Galfer do offer a part #DF789CW
it should be similar to Powerparts, cos Galfer is KTM Powerparts OEM.

My Brembo Caliper front and rear is also coming end February, i bought KTM
690 calipers ... need some mods to fit into 390 .... finger crossed ...

It looks really great. I'm more interested on how those brakes perform. Could you give some details on your experience with them. A bit of a before and after?

It might also be nice to get a picture or two from a bit further away from the bike.

Awesome job though. And it ended up being cheaper than I thought it would be.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Clutch

Hey man.. just wanted to know about that clutch setup.. I personally like the spongy feel of the stock brakes.. but the clutch being a pain has to be converted to hydraulic. is it easier or is it still as hard as the stock clutch. pls reply. also how much did u spend on the clutch.?

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Hey man.. just wanted to know about that clutch setup.. I personally like the spongy feel of the stock brakes.. but the clutch being a pain has to be converted to hydraulic. is it easier or is it still as hard as the stock clutch. pls reply. also how much did u spend on the clutch.?
welcome to the forum, post an intro here if you want: New Members Introduction - KTM Duke 390 Forum :)

·
Registered
533 Posts
Really? I've never heard anyone say they enjoy the feel of spongey brakes LOL! Welcome the boards BTW

·
Registered
817 Posts
Really? I've never heard anyone say they enjoy the feel of spongey brakes LOL! Welcome the boards BTW
Get ready to hear it twice in one day then :D I prefer the Nissin brakes on the 675 over the Brembo ones on the 675R. Sometimes you can have to much stopping power on the street......although I cant say the same for the Dukes front :eek:

·
Registered
802 Posts
Excellent stuff, Philly! Loved that reservoir and brake levers, especially. ;)

Cheers!
VJ

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
stock clutch is good ... but longer travel ... hydraulics ones .. the one i'm using gives a ratio of about 1:1.5 so it's a bit harder but i just need 1cm of travel to engage the clutch ...

how much i spend ... minus the R&D .. for the final cost USD800++ just to convert to Hydraulics ... u need a hydraulic clutch lever ... a reservoir tank ... a new hydraulic cable ... hydraulic actuator ...and hydraulics oil they are cheaper brands out there .. but i choose the best in the industry as i ride like a hooligans and nothin comes my way ... except accident and police road block hahahaha :D:D:D

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
690 rotors and calipers DONT fit .. else i would have save alot of $$$ ...
i use the Powerparts Galfer Made rotors and a modified Brembo 990 Calipers now and it's safe to have street racing on 1 finger braking ... :D

Hi Phil,
Long time lurker on the forum.
You do great work!
Just wondering if you ever got around to trying the 690 caliper/disc on your 390?

·
Registered
72 Posts
here are some pics, continued from my previous Racing Boy Hydraulic Clutch..

I have done several changes on the master pump and ends up wasting too
much time, money and losing patience ...

so here's me biting the bullet ...

1. Brembo RCS19 Hydraulic Clutch and Brake kit
2. Rizoma Hydraulic Reservoir
3. Tylon 6mm Hose
4. Custom Hydraulic Braided Hose
5. Racing Boy Hydraulic Actuator
6. Motul DOT 5.1 Hydraulic oil
7. Rags and buckets of water, hydraulics oil eats up paint and plastic !!!
7. TONNES of patience

no tutorial .. but i lots of nice picture ... promised ! :D:D:D

just FYI, the brembo kits does not come with side mirror adaptor, you much
purchase it separately and also same goes to Hydraulic Reservoir

and here is the result, IMHO

1. Im a 1 finger brake junkie, now with setting to 19mm piston with pivot
distance of 18mm, oppose to stock 8mm piston ... it's either a disaster or Nirvana
solely depends on how hooligans is your taste, for those that loves spongy brake feel, get the RCS16 or stick with stock,
race junkie .... definitely RCS19 ! it has no feel, a slight touch engage braking ...
1 finger braking is possible to stop 43 horses but it may need some time, 2 finger above, ABS kicks in.

1.1 At this point of sharing, i'm upgrading the rotor as i feel 1 finger braking
even on RCS19 is dangerous (due to my need of speed) and if the rotor
dont work as i wanted, it's prolly time to move on bigger caliper 100mm godfather Brembo

2. Clutch .... Hard as a stone ! but ... from pulling 4 to 5cm cable (measured from the end tail of the lever,
now just move 2cm, what u lose if the spongy feel what gain is fast shifter
and the 1million dollar question for converts (cable to hydraulic) will it be hard to find Neutral ... NO ... it's as easy as the non-converts. (pun intended ;))

hope above summaries the thusand of dollars investment ... hahaha
i can't find a smiley that has sad and happy face 2 in 1 ...

another big decision to make is ... Brembo Pumps is a thieve MAGNET,
loose it in seconds ... security bolts is useless, they use HAND SAW !!!

ok .. time to hit the road ... it's 6:30am now and time to break-in the rotors!!!

hi.. nice set up bro.. just a question.. i know original brake line from the abs unit to the master is too short for the brembo mc.., so what length did you get for that.. thanks

1 - 20 of 21 Posts