KTM Duke 390 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was wondering about the possibility of fitting a brighter light, say 25W or 35W halogen in the place of the parking lamp below the headlamp. What am not sure of is that would the small space disperse the heat well or not.
Even thinking of a 10W LED which is compact and less heat dissipation as well.
Any thoughts would be welcome.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Probably have more issue with the wire gauge than heat on the backing, check what amperage it runs off then decide. LED is probably easier or just put one of the high intensity kits in the main unit.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I ordered a 10W CREE (T10) to put in the space. I've yet to do it but I think it's roughly the same wattage as the original incandescent T10 (8W from memory).

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Probably have more issue with the wire gauge than heat on the backing, check what amperage it runs off then decide. LED is probably easier or just put one of the high intensity kits in the main unit.
I want to retain the stock wattage for the main lamp.
A halogen lamp of 35W which draws about 3A would probably be too much for the parking lamp circuit to handle.

LED is probably a better idea.

a more powerful incandescent bulb might just melt the housing around it
Yep, am thinking of the CREE LEDs.

I ordered a 10W CREE (T10) to put in the space. I've yet to do it but I think it's roughly the same wattage as the original incandescent T10 (8W from memory).
Nice! Although the wattage is close, intensity of the LED is much much higher due to the coherent beam. So it might serve well. Only issue I can think of is the focusing.

·
Registered
264 Posts
There is one reason to do this; the T10 is not replaceable without some effort - i.e. you won't be able to replace it on the side of the road. Putting a long life LED in will save that effort.

One nuisance of this bike is the **** top hat washers on the top triple clamp - they have a nasty habit of falling out and getting lost (as they are inserted from the bottom). I now use a mini clamping plier to hold one side in place while I take off/put on the cowl assembly.

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I literally went downstairs after my last post and put my CREE T10 in that came in the mail. Results are here;

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/vok7f4rygcfu8k1/Q14QjjX4_O

Final result:

Light pattern:
Haha, result looks very promising :)
Thanks a lot for the effort. Do let us know how the illumination in the night is.
I think this is pretty good. Am gonna ride down to the market and see if I can get hold of a 10 or higher wattage LED bulb.

Yeah, those washers are a real pain, I have dropped them couple of times myself.

·
Registered
264 Posts
When you install the new LED you will find that the beam is not exactly straight - before fitting the entire cowl back on try rotating the T10 socket to aim the beam better. I tweaked mine so it pointed slight left.

·
Registered
573 Posts
guys ... LED may be cool ... save energy and surely looks bright ... but without the yellowish-ness ... it's basically dangerous on rainy days at nite ...

i modded mine into the powerparts slim headlamp with a projector lamp on it ... nothing beats original incandescent bulb ... but i would recommend to change the wattage to 100w with a new lower gauge wire and a relay ...

·
Registered
264 Posts
guys ... LED may be cool ... save energy and surely looks bright ... but without the yellowish-ness ... it's basically dangerous on rainy days at nite ...

i modded mine into the powerparts slim headlamp with a projector lamp on it ... nothing beats original incandescent bulb ... but i would recommend to change the wattage to 100w with a new lower gauge wire and a relay ...
Why is it dangerous?

·
Registered
573 Posts
you can't see tarmac when it rain at night, the white light get trapped on the droplets ... thats why all auto vehicle comes with off amber color.

white is also bad on foggy roads ... we seldom have foggy road here though

Why is it dangerous?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Yea if you have a white light then the reflection off of wet surfaces can be hard to see. Yellow light makes reflections from water/rain easier to see. I see that as the one downside, but generally this seems like a pretty successful mod. Does anyone else know of a different option that works well with the parking lamp?

·
Registered
573 Posts
my mods .. parking lam the T10 i use LED Cree for main headlamp i have modded the slim headmask from powerparts and never tried the halogen bulb, becos i was too eager to fit in a projector lamp, 35 watt 2 1/2inch size is really useless, so i change to a 100w and it melts the casing so i change to a 35w HID, the casing of the projector is too small for the reflection to take effect and my last changes is to bite the bullet and settle for a H3 LED Cree 50W, it looks bright but when it rains ... i see nothing ....

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
you can't see tarmac when it rain at night, the white light get trapped on the droplets ... thats why all auto vehicle comes with off amber color.

white is also bad on foggy roads ... we seldom have foggy road here though
Totally agree Phil. White light looks far too bright and might be dazzling but is not really confidence inspiring to ride with. A pale yellow light delivers the best illumination.
But, with the limited choice we got, am trying if at all a brighter LED can be placed in the parking lamp slot.

Yea if you have a white light then the reflection off of wet surfaces can be hard to see. Yellow light makes reflections from water/rain easier to see. I see that as the one downside, but generally this seems like a pretty successful mod. Does anyone else know of a different option that works well with the parking lamp?
The best thing with this mod is that no exterior changes and the lamp cannot be stolen/no water seeping in during the monsoon. Downside is that am worried about the heat that is generated for a LED bulb, say 16W one.
Nevertheless, will be doing this change in the weekend - still hunting for the bulb.

·
Registered
520 Posts
its always been known that more white/blue lights dont light up the black road as well compared to yellow

so id say anything over 4300k kelvin you will start to notice lighting dropoff when its raining or foggy

·
Registered
573 Posts
true ... it happened on my trucks and cars ... never go after 4300K HID or halogens ...

thats why my new mods on the new slim powerparts headmask would be a bigger projector lamp with 4300K HID ... modding it for 2 weeks now.... the slim headmask is too slim for the big projector lamp ... darn ......:confused::confused::confused:

its always been known that more white/blue lights dont light up the black road as well compared to yellow

so id say anything over 4300k kelvin you will start to notice lighting dropoff when its raining or foggy

1 - 20 of 24 Posts