KTM Duke 390 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive had my eyes on a ktm duke for some time now! ive been on the road for 2 years now but on a sinnis harrier 125, automatic, but dont want too big of a bike to start with essentially, now from what ive read over the years its had it problems and such, but anyone know what the 2021 model is like?? not found a review video online yet only in india and well im in england.

is the 390 duke a good choice?.. for first time on a manual?.. i literally have my heart set on it! and now with the new colour sheme which ive been wanting! the grey and the orange! i just wanted some first hand opinions if possible

looking at buying said bike in next 3month, booked in for full bike test end of next month, but dont want to go straight on a 600cc.. want something in between and going by what ive read over the years it would be the ideal “first” bike so to speak.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Yes it's a great bike. The only thing is it's not good at motorway speeds (red lines about 70mph)
I keep thinking I want the Duke 890 but every time I ride the 390 I love it 🤣🤣

·
Registered
33 Posts
Yes it's a great bike. The only thing is it's not good at motorway speeds (red lines about 70mph)
I'm in the same boat, I'd like to get something bigger but at the same time I love the 390.
The 890 is a beast (also looking forward to seeing the new Monster when it arrives here), maybe the right solution will be the 490, I wish there were more details available, specs and launch date.

·
Registered
448 Posts
You will find in this forum lots of posts from guys who had lots of big bikes and who enjoy the Duke 390. Having a bigger engine and more power is not the same as having more fun. The little Duke 390 has already a lot of power. There is a YouTube video from a race between the Duke 390 and a 1000cc BMW. Guess who won the race?

·
Registered
33 Posts
You will find in this forum lots of posts from guys who had lots of big bikes and who enjoy the Duke 390. Having a bigger engine and more power is not the same as having more fun. The little Duke 390 has already a lot of power. There is a YouTube video from a race between the Duke 390 and a 1000cc BMW. Guess who won the race?
I hear you, and I don't disagree.
In my specific case I rode for 25+ years and had all kinds of bikes. I bought the 390 to get back on the saddle after 15 years of no riding. Great choice, it really was. I somewhat feel the need of a physically bigger bike and a bigger engine, not to go faster but to have a little more substance. Like if I was having plenty of fun with a Mini Cooper, but at some point need to go to a BMW 4 series. Hope the analogy works.
Ideally, I would have more than one bike, like I had in the past, and at that point I would gladly keep the 390. Wife and garage size don't agree with me... :cautious:

·
Super Moderator
1,562 Posts
Redline at 112 km/h? What redline do you mean Charles? I'm cruising 125-130 km/h and if need be push through to 170 km/h without ever having the red light come on?

·
Registered
47 Posts
The whole rev counter starts turning red at 70mph on mine.
ah, you can actually set the redline limit to whatever RPM you wish. it's under the preferences tab in settings.

I too cruise at 100-125km/h comfortably. I do find the vibration irritating for long highway stretches especially if going anywhere further than 20-30km.

on the streets though, with traffic and lights......that is where the duke will outpace most cars and bikes. zips away instantly. and the b roads and corners is where the duke was meant to be.....corner rocket indeed.

·
Super Moderator
1,562 Posts
Ha ha ha okay, I am unfamiliar with the second-Gen TV screens but perhaps this is an adjustable setting?
On the first-Gen, you can manually adjust the rev warning in 2 ways. First an alternating on/off warning or as they call it the 'time to shift gears (up of course) and the constant illuminated red light indicating the set high rev.
On my 390 I run a PT that also allows for an extra 1,000 RPM.

The whole rev counter starts turning red at 70mph on mine.

·
Super Moderator
1,562 Posts
He Chuasv,

What vibrations do you mean?
The engine vibs or the bike vibs?
If the latter you might want to get your bikes suspension and wheel alignment checked/corrected.
On my first-Gen, I do have the resonance that comes with single high compression engines and manifests in the handlebars despite the counterweights but I got used to this.
Otherwise, my Duke 390 from 2015 has absolutely no vibration and doing 3 to 400 km/day are no problem to me.

ah, you can actually set the redline limit to whatever RPM you wish. it's under the preferences tab in settings.

I too cruise at 100-125km/h comfortably. I do find the vibration irritating for long highway stretches especially if going anywhere further than 20-30km.

on the streets though, with traffic and lights......that is where the duke will outpace most cars and bikes. zips away instantly. and the b roads and corners is where the duke was meant to be.....corner rocket indeed.

·
Registered
47 Posts
He Chuasv,

What vibrations do you mean?
The engine vibs or the bike vibs?
If the latter you might want to get your bikes suspension and wheel alignment checked/corrected.
On my first-Gen, I do have the resonance that comes with single high compression engines and manifests in the handlebars despite the counterweights but I got used to this.
Otherwise, my Duke 390 from 2015 has absolutely no vibration and doing 3 to 400 km/day are no problem to me.
its the engine vibration. i know it's a single cyclinder characteristic. just have to learn to get used to it.

and since i don't do long journies often it's a trade off i'm willing to take.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I did my full licence a few years ago but didn’t want to go straight to a 600cc+ either.

I ended up buying a 2018 390 duke, and still have it and still love it!

It’ll cruise comfortably at 80mph on the motorways. After a full day of riding I sometimes get slight tingling in my hands, but it goes away quick, nothing to put me off tho.

As long as you maintain the bike well and ride gently until it’s warmed up the bikes are fine! There were some issues on earlier models like cutting out when decelerating but I never experienced it.

With a new bike you have a 2 year warranty so if you do have any problems KTM are good at sorting them out.

Defo recommend the duke!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well thankyou very much guys! loving the input! wasn’t expecting so much feedback if im being honest. minds definitely made up haha

do you guys think the 390 would be ideal for me? a “beginner” rider so to speak?

·
Registered
47 Posts
well thankyou very much guys! loving the input! wasn’t expecting so much feedback if im being honest. minds definitely made up haha

do you guys think the 390 would be ideal for me? a “beginner” rider so to speak?
oh it'll be ideal for any rider actually. those who are tired of riding heavyweights and want something small and nimble.

those who are new rider that want something exciting yet not too overpowering.

go for it.

·
Registered
183 Posts
You just need a 'rapid bike easy' or similar to fix the lean fueling. Without it it's jerky at low speeds and you find yourself feathering the clutch as the engine is very on-off power wise without it.

Had an inline 4 600cc ninja before and the Duke is much nicer to ride. I've got a car but can't wait for the nice weather, I'm on it all summer 😍

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
oh it'll be ideal for any rider actually. those who are tired of riding heavyweights and want something small and nimble.

those who are new rider that want something exciting yet not too overpowering.

go for it.
cheers geeza! 😎

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sounds like you've not had the first service. Totally transforms the bike.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Yes had that at the dealership nearly 3 years ago, it was even worse before that.
I was on the bike last night and noticed it's not the whole display that turns red, it's the scale that starts to go red at 70mph.

·
Registered
2020 KTM 390 Duke
5 Posts

What about the 200 Duke? Lower cost and definitely good for a mostly beginner rider. I hadn't ridden in years and bought a 2020 390 Duke. Gotta admit that the power, along with the sensitive throttle, was more than I expected and it took me awhile to get used to.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts