KTM Duke 390 Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Yes I have health insurance
The good news is that the ABS works great. Combine that with a super agile bike and it could make for some good commuting. The only drawback is that the low-speed throttle smoothness is terrible IMO. Trying to maintain a constant 20mph in traffic is very jerky as the mapping sucks. You will end up clutching it constantly to be smooth or lug the crap out of the motor in a higher gear (no thanks!). Again, that's just my experience. YMMV.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
These bikes do smooth out a bit more after break-in folks. I know it's aggravating especially during break-in but they smooth out after you get a thousand or so miles on them. Run premium synthetic oil and install some Engine Ice to cool it down a bit.

Pete

·
Registered
250 Posts
These bikes do smooth out a bit more after break-in folks. I know it's aggravating especially during break-in but they smooth out after you get a thousand or so miles on them. Run premium synthetic oil and install some Engine Ice to cool it down a bit.

Pete
Yep, they do get smoother the more they break in. Mine gets smoother every time I ride it - it's at about 1100 miles now. It was noticeably smoother after replacing the break-in oil with full synthetic too.

There is an issue with the fueling in the lower rev range but as soon as an O2 sensor comes on the market that should fix it no problemo.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Checking in from Brooklyn, CT. I put down a deposit and should get my 2016 390 duke in March, very excited. I am planning ahead and think my first mods will be a tall tidy and a ergo seat. Any mods or gear that you recommend. Can't wait to start riding again.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Pete's Duke at Higgins Beach Scarborough, Maine

Shot at local beach, 10 minutes from my house.
hi Pete! i just messaged you to ask where in maine you are, but then found this. i live about ten minutes from higgins as well, and it is the main destination of my duke joyrides! i know this is half a decade late, but i was wondering if you still have your duke.
any others in the portland area; message me!
-Jasper

·
Registered
59 Posts
Original plan before the covid crap hit, buy new Duke and hit the NE, esp. Maine. Got the new Duke, now what?! I'd be interested to know any recommended roads in Maine tho. Never been, and need to go.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Here's my take on it: the only good reason to come to maine, especially from the south, is to see the coast. if you're looking for good twisties, mountains, and lakes, new hampshire, is the best bet. the white mountains are stunning, imo more majestic that the rockies, tetons, yosemete; very broad peaks, and long ridgelines; the northern appalachians are the oldest mountains in the world. i'd say say the kancamagus highway is regarded as on of the best motorcycle roads in new england, if you're alright with alot of cruiser riders around. also an awesome trip would be to take the mt. washington auto road, park at the top, and take a day hike along the ridge. the landscape above treeline is nothing less than lunar, especially in the sunset. i'm not sure how much of this stuff is closed of due to covid, though.
THAT SAID, if you want to see Maine, the lakes region around moosehead has nice, almost boreal forests, and lots of wildlife, though the roads are questionable and often gravel (2020 390 ADV, anyone?). Baxter state park is a similar story.

again, i would say come to the midcoast region (Portland area to Bar Harbor), and experience the unique rocky jagged coastline. Mount desert island is crowded but nice, but Casco bay is really great. portland, falmouth, harpswell; good roads along the coast, especially in harpswell. if you are looking for an adventure, you could also take your bike on the casco bay ferry, and ride around some of the islands, though Peaks is really the only one with many well paved roads.
and be sure to stop by south portland and Cape Elizebeth, to see the iconic lighthouses.

-Jasper

21 - 31 of 31 Posts