KTM Duke 390 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Duke lovers, I have small problem, doesn't matter how hard I try, I can't set perfect timing marks on the engine, I think I need new timing chain, because if I go one teeth further its worse then it was, one teeth back also worse, that I how set is almost good, but I don't like that in my opinion it should be perfect like how manual says, later today I can share photos of my markings, I could not found thread about that, so I just want to tell others about probably weared timing chain. Just ordered new one and I gonna update you how is the difference with new timing chain :)

· Registered
507 Posts
Best timing with old chain…
View attachment 55853
Looks about right..... Timing marks were not perfect to begin with on my 2016 either.... From here, you want to install the tensioner & make sure it opens all the way, then crank it over a few rotations with a ratchet by hand (to get back on the compression stroke) to verify the marks still align & there is no interference.

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Looks about right..... Timing marks were not perfect to begin with on my 2016 either.... From here, you want to install the tensioner & make sure it opens all the way, then crank it over a few rotations with a ratchet by hand (to get back on the compression stroke) to verify the marks still align & there is no interference.
With that markings I think engine would run OK but if im working by the engine I want to make it right and perfect

· Registered
507 Posts
With that markings I think engine would run OK but if im working by the engine I want to make it right and perfect
My gen 1 runs amazing, still on the stock timing chain, & mine was in no way kinky like 1jz's in the video @ 6000 miles, or I would have changed it..... If the engine was out & apart I probably would have done the same, but I did the head gasket job with it still in the frame.

· Administrator
2,667 Posts
I'm not convinced about the QC remark. A factory such as KTM will not release a bike totally out of wack and saddle dealers up with resolving the issue.
I'd still LOVE to see the adjustability I was used to on the cam shafts to cam sprocket on the first series Lancia Fulvia engines.
Little pins locking both together to the exact timing, even if the chain was worn.

Quality Control.

· Registered
378 Posts
I personally would have preferred to see both with the tensioner already installed.
And so I don't accidentally offend anyone, if the tensioner is already installed, with the slack removed from the upper section, via rotating the rear gear backwards.
But hey, that's just me.

I also can't seem to rotate the second picture, up, so I can look str8 across the plane of the head.
Is anyone else experiencing this problem?

Ok, enuff of my playing around...

Were the guides grooved, or worn in any way?

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I tension the chain with my finger and then I set the timing marks, so after I installed chain tensioner markings were the same. Also I have bought new guides but later realised, that to change them I need to open engine head, so I saved them for maybe next big service (I hope not soon) and plus mine guides were not grooved or worn…After I put the engine back in frame it started very easy, after only two or three spins and finaly I’m happy

· Registered
507 Posts
I personally would have preferred to see both with the tensioner already installed.
And so I don't accidentally offend anyone, if the tensioner is already installed, with the slack removed from the upper section, via rotating the rear gear backwards.
But hey, that's just me.

I also can't seem to rotate the second picture, up, so I can look str8 across the plane of the head.
Is anyone else experiencing this problem?

Ok, enuff of my playing around...

Were the guides grooved, or worn in any way?
There is a chain guide that is supposed to be there, that actually keeps a little dip in the chain.

Font Circle Auto part Drawing Engineering

· Registered
378 Posts
Yeah, I know... i have spares.
But in the interests of comparison, i was just saying...
it would be really [on the money] to pull all the slack out, not injecting unknown variables so to speak.

I still can't rotate that 2nd picture up, did you have any luck?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts