KTM Duke 390 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,
I'm new here ✌
I have a question: Today i had to take out a bolt on my 2020 Duke 390 which resulted in a small engine oil leak. After this i checked the engine oil level and it is just at the minimum mark (or just under the minimum mark) depending on which ankle you are looking from. You can see it at the picture i attached.
My question is: Can I run it like this the next 1500km? (I have a service in 1500km.) Or should I get this corrected by changing engine oil immediately?

Attachments

·
Registered
173 Posts
No, you must always keep the oil between the min and max mark. That means you need to keep an eye on the level and top the oil up when necessary between services. You don’t need to change the oil to top it up

To check the oil the engine must be hot, then turned off for one minute, the bike positioned upright, then check the level.

Buy a 1 litre bottle of 15w50 4T semi synth oil and top the oil up ASAP

If you haven’t read the maintenance section of the owners manual, I highly recommend that you do so

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hello everyone,
I'm new here ✌
I have a question: Today i had to take out a bolt on my 2020 Duke 390 which resulted in a small engine oil leak. After this i checked the engine oil level and it is just at the minimum mark (or just under the minimum mark) depending on which ankle you are looking from. You can see it at the picture i attached.
My question is: Can I run it like this the next 1500km? (I have a service in 1500km.) Or should I get this corrected by changing engine oil immediately?

·
Registered
510 Posts
Maybe 8000km ago I noticed my oil level was below minimum, I couldn't see any oil in the window. And I was using the bike everyday (for mostly short rides in city traffic). After that I had an service and until now I don't notice any problems.
Should you do it? No. Will there be any problems if you do it (and if you don't stress the engine 100% all the time)? Probably not.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Definitely not the bright thing to do! Your oil is literally at the level that even the oil pump would starve itself at certain angles during ride. 1500 kays would mean, you'd be returning back on a flatbed, and you'd definitely don't want that. Make sure you top it up, engine cold to the recommended level. Ride for five minutes, let the bike cool, check the oil level again, top up if required until what it's between the two marks on the case. An oil is far cheaper than an engine rebuild I always say, good luck.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts