KTM Duke 390 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I have a 2017 Duke 390. Purchased new in 2017. All serviced per the manual, last oil change was 1000 miles ago, this year. Only 4600 miles, and it's been a pure joy.

I checked the oil about 2 months ago, after the service, and it looked clean and good. Hadn't ridden it in a about a month. On Saturday, took it for a long ride, no problems, about 90 miles. Sunday a short ride, no problems.

On Monday, I got it out and was ready to ride when I noticed the oil light was on. It would flash on and then off then on then off. I decided to ride it to the dealer only 10 minutes away on side streets. I probably should have checked the oil, but didn't. The oil light went off for the last few minutes of the ride, so I figured must be a bad sensor or something but went into the dealer anyways. He checked the oil and saw it was low and we added a quart. The oil window showed it was full so he said, we are good to go, I was a quart low. Took and about a quarter mile away, noticed it had no power and the temp gauge was max! I knew we had a big problem on our hands. Turned around back to dealer. Told him the problem and now the temp gauge was maxing out.

Long story short.......he called me yesterday to say the engine is cooked. I need a new engine. It's out of warranty, he's going to try and see if KTM will do anything but I don't have any hopes. He said I was probably 2 quarts down which begs the question....how does it lose 2 quarts in 1000 miles since he was the last one to change it 1000 miles ago? Other issue is when he put the quart in, he said I was good to go. I guess that was just filter oil or whatever and he says I actually needed 2 quarts. Anyways........I'm done with KTM. Not sure what to do, junk it probably. Just curious....do they sell new engines? What would you guys do? etc.

I bought a brand new Yamaha MT 07 last night........no more problems. That Duke always ran hot it seemed. Fun bike but the fan was always going on and it seemed to run hot.

Any ideas on what to do with the Duke?.......can't find where they sell new engines. Don't want to spend thousands on a bike that cost $4500 new or whatever. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Sorry for what happened to your bike's engine

The mechanics are wrong not only in KTM, what I mean is that not reason enough to stop buying bikes of this brand

I would find out how much it costs to repair the engine, if possible, otherwise how much a new or second-hand engine is worth. If the number is appropriate, I would.

At the same time, I would try to get the dealer to take care of the mechanic's failure, which caused the problem on your motorcycle.

Good luck and I hope you solve

·
Registered
56 Posts
Really sorry to hear this.

I would ask them to try and figure out what happened - clearly it wasn't a leak as you would have noticed that, it must have been consuming the oil. Hope you have a positive result

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry for what happened to your bike's engine

The mechanics are wrong not only in KTM, what I mean is that not reason enough to stop buying bikes of this brand

I would find out how much it costs to repair the engine, if possible, otherwise how much a new or second-hand engine is worth. If the number is appropriate, I would.

At the same time, I would try to get the dealer to take care of the mechanic's failure, which caused the problem on your motorcycle.

Good luck and I hope you solve

Yes, I agree mechanics are wrong on other bikes too. This was actually the owner of the KTM dealer who diagnosed the problem and added the oil and sent me on my way. Still, correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems KTM bikes have more problems than most bikes. And I loved this bike. It was so fun to ride. But it would stall, never got an explanation. It ran hot and the fan was always going on. And finally this. If I had stopped the bike the minute I saw the oil light on, we probably wouldn't be having this conversation. But then again, how does a bike burn through at least 2 quarts of oil in 1000 miles. Even his record shows he changed the oil 1000 miles ago. And no oil in the crankcase? No oil leaks? That's a fundamental problem there alone. Maybe the head gasket went bad and water got in somewhere, or who knows.

If you do research, I believe KTM have a higher than average repair rate. I don't mean to sour anyone on KTMs, I really enjoyed it. But facts are facts. Anyways thanks guys. Oh, and check your oil every single time you ride it. Every time. I will doing that for sure with my new Yamaha MT 07. And if that oil light ever comes on or flickers...stop the bike immediately and turn it off. Thanks.

·
Registered
213 Posts
How does an engine consume 2 quarts of oil in 1000 miles, that doesn’t even hold two quarts of oil when full? Seems strange that the owner of said KTM dealership would make the statement that you must have been down 2 quarts when one quart of oil was added while you were there!!!

Enjoy the Yamaha. That’s a pretty cool MC. I contemplated the MT07 for a while. But the D390 is what I had my mind set on. Still, I consider the Duke 390 a disposable motorcycle, like a Bic lighter is disposable. 20 years from now you won’t see any on the streets.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Where did you get the oil changed at and was it a KTM dealership? I would imagine that if it was done at the dealership that they should be liable for improperly filling the bike, my guess is that failed to shift the bike from side to side or didn't look at the actual site glass to verify that it was indeed full.

The only way that bike is loosing that much oil in 1000 miles is if you have a leak (Which you would notice) or your rings on the piston are shot and you are burning a **** load of oil (Which you would know via a loss in power and a massive amount of smoke / blow by. Changes are if it was the second one it was pressurize the **** out of the crank and it would start blowing oil out of a lot of seals.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi Dukey77,

Wow, I am really sorry to hear about this. Like others, I'm stumped as to how this could occur.
Hopefully KTM will step up to make it right.
Enjoy your MT-07. Those are great bikes too!

Cheers!
Craig

1 - 8 of 8 Posts