KTM Duke 390 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 193 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purchased from Wheelsport in Orleans, Ontario, Canada, a suburb of Ottawa, the nation's capital.

Enquired about a new RC390 they had advertised at C$4999 on September 2nd and rolled out of the dealership September 17th on a white 2016 Duke 390 that they brought in on a dealer trade for me.

Cost out the door was C$6047 including tire tax and HST, or approximately US$4650 based on exchange rate then (~1.30).

Pics provided from the dealer before I took delivery:

Attachments

Reactions: duke200

·
Premium Member
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I ordered eBay crash bars, rear spools, plus front and rear sliders.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
De-stickered the tank and added Renthal 32mm Kevlar grips. We run Oury grips on all our MTBs and have run them on the last couple motorcycles but wanted to try out the Renthals to see what all the hype is about. They're good but I think I will probably go back to Oury's, the only issue is they don't come open ended.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ordered some Auxbeam F-16 H4 LED bulbs but while waiting for them to arrive, installed an H4 'Ion' all weather bulb plus LED for park light. Before and after pics.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
MNNTHBX airbox lid and the taller DNA Racing filter R-KT1SM11-0R version, specially designed for the RC390 CUP Edition.

The MNNTHBX lid needs weatherstripping or similar applied to underside when fitted on top of DNA filters as it won't seal properly otherwise. The filter gasket isn't as tall as the OE so it flops around under the lid unless built up with foam or similar.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ordered a PCV from Chad (cjwells) at Commonwealth aka KTMPerformance.com.

Had it shipped with tune based on Akra base map (flashed at dealer on delivery) for stock exhaust, open lid airbox and high flow filter.

Neglected to zip tie the O2 optimizer control box out of the way so it started melting on the header. Caught it just in time before the innards got melted :-O

Taped it back up tightly with electrical tape, now zip tied to bike.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bike runs awesome with the new PCV. Night and day difference without a doubt. Runs much stronger through mid-range. Keep in mind I was still in break in period and keeping bike below 8k rpms. The 'lean surge' hesitation at part throttle was completely eliminated.

With the PCV, I felt comfortable installing a pipe. I purchased a used GPR Ghost exhaust off chrisdigital21 on the RC390 forum. It comes with two db killers, didn't sound great with both installed and I preferred the tone with the bottom vs just the top, so have left it that way. It's a straight through design, all stainless construction. No catalytic.

The elbow normally present on the bottom db killer was cutoff by chrisdigital21 to improve flow. I was concerned that the exhaust was dumping out too close to rear tire vs having it directed away and out with the elbox. I've been advised it's really nothing to be worried about. The pipe is designed such that it can be run without the bottom db killer at all.

Pics of the pipe, the db killers (before and after = sooted), and the view of how it sits fore of the tire.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I took the bike in for the initial valve adjustment this week. Dropped it at Woody's Cycles in Perth, about an hour away, as his labor rate is C$69/hr vs C$110/hr at Wheelsport. Bike was ready next day and cost is C$194.92. I will be doing the oil change myself after riding it home tomorrow.

I've also got some new bits to put on :)

T-Rex Racing 45mm lowering link and kickstand.

Auxbeam F-16 LED bulbs arrived yesterday.

'KTM' lever guards which just arrived today.

The latter two were ordered off aliexpress.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Reactions: Omnislug

·
Premium Member
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
hows about posting a video so we can hear it......
Here's the video the original owner did with his RC390. He had it with same config as I'm currently running, just the bottom db killer only.

·
Premium Member
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
AliExpress 'KTM' lever guards installed.

Needed a small washer to space off of the throttle, without one, the orange spacer was causing the throttle tube to bind slightly.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Auxbeam F-16 H4 LED

I ordered this one based on fact it had the hoods over the low beam LED bulbs, similar to the shield seen on standard halogen H4 bulbs.

I trimmed the rubber boot to pull out the OE connector and to fit the fan on the outside.

There does seem to be some reflective artifacts on lowbeam, but overall, seems like pretty decent cutoff pattern.

Attachments

Reactions: Diploman

·
Premium Member
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Valve adjustment ended up being just a check - all valves were in spec. Both exhaust measured out at 0.13mm, with intake at 0.09 and 0.10mm respectively - with the spec of 0.15 +/- 0.02mm and 0.10 +/- 0.02mm.

·
Premium Member
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Oil changed for Amsoil Dirt 10w50.

Small screen was pretty clean, but the big one on the drain plug did show a few metal shavings.

Attachments

·
Registered
454 Posts
nice thread.

i believe the inlet at 0.09 is quite tight, it will need adjustment sooner than the maintenance schedule 16.000 km.

i woud like to test this AMSoil 10W50, also, they say Amsoil is the best oil manufacturer in North America.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Auxbeam F-16 H4 LED

I ordered this one based on fact it had the hoods over the low beam LED bulbs, similar to the shield seen on standard halogen H4 bulbs.

I trimmed the rubber boot to pull out the OE connector and to fit the fan on the outside.

There does seem to be some reflective artifacts on lowbeam, but overall, seems like pretty decent cutoff pattern.
Much better than my cyclops. :crying:
Luis

·
Premium Member
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The current state of affairs.

Attachments

Reactions: bcutler2003

·
Premium Member
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Lowered the bike on Sunday night, here's full review thread of the T-Rex Racing 45mm lowering kit:
http://www.ktmduke390forum.com/forum/appearance-modifications/33449-t-rex-racing-45mm-lowering-kit-review.html

Added fuel filler cap sticker tonight - cheap eBay piece, US$.99 shipped. Don't know how they can afford to ship them at that price... It was a bit tricky to align so it's a bit crooked but for now, it's fine. I was worried about scratching the paint on the cap. The last bike had a raw aluminum finish that could be buffed if needed - this is faux look with silver paint and now I've added a faux carbon fiber sticker ;)

1 - 20 of 193 Posts