Premium Member
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #161
RTV plus old gasket leaked. Waiting for new gasket to arrive now :(

·
Premium Member
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #163
No, that's one of the reasons why changing one tooth up front is easier than a several tooth difference on the rear.

Reactions: changohot

·
Premium Member
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #164
So, as mentioned in the separate thread, installed the Gray Area KTM modified airbox with the custom intake runner.

Huge gain in top end as measured on the dyno with before and after -> +5HP! Some loss in low end that I will try and tune out later given time/funds.

The "before" was Competition Werkes shorty exhaust, TYGA Performance header, open lid airbox with inverted K&N filter, and Chad Wells tune.

For the "after", we swapped out the airbox with the modified intake runner and the injector.

Bottom line, totally worth it.

Some notes, there are some subtle differences in the airbox. The position for the vacuum lines is slightly different but of no concern. The existing hoses connect up without issue.

More important however, is the new airbox lacks the 15mm rubber standoffs that my stock box had. I will need to use longer bolts plus add some rubber bushings of some sort. I haven't sourced that yet - will take care of it later this week I hope.

Reactions: KTMasean

·
Premium Member
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #165
Paxton just informed me the standoffs just unthread from original box.

·
Premium Member
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #167
I'll take a look at the reference maps I have now in more detail when I get a chance and do some comparisons.

The intake tract is vastly different now, much shorter column of air going into the throttle body so the flow changed quite a bit. Unsure if timing/fuel adjustments can compensate

Now that tune is overall pretty set, I can probably go in for an hour one day and try to tune that out on the dyno. It'll have to wait until summer though I expect given other priorities.

Reactions: KTMasean and Gordeh

·
Premium Member
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #168
Finally got the bike back together and on the road. Per the lowering link thread, spent a few hours and $$$ getting the upper shock mount bolt out of the frame...

Put on some R&G Racing case covers. Have had them for awhile, finally getting them installed. The supplied bolts had soft pan heads that started to round out before 7ft/lb of torque, so I picked up some new bolts instead.

·
Premium Member
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #169
New brake pads day.

·
Registered
539 Posts
all of this just confirmed my initial assessment, I was doing some tuning on my PCV and couldn't get under 13.8 AFR at 80-100% throttle. I suspect I was running out of injector and it wouldn't push any more than that, just goes to show you there is a good amount of room for improvement.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Just finished reading your entire build thread, very cool and informative!

Also nice that it all took place locally... I know where to ask for future advice!

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #173
Had my Shorai battery die. Solid customer service -> new one on its way under warranty.

·
Premium Member
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #174
New tires day. Except rear mounting fail, it's on backwards.

I'll have to take it back. Couldn't pass up today's milder weather though so still took them out to run an errand.

·
Premium Member
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #176 (Edited)
Hey Bud, I didn't see in the other post... What happened to your upper shock mount bolt?
It galled in the T-Rex Racing lowering link, now removed.

Expensive job.

·
Premium Member
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #177
Got the new tires out for a proper run this weekend. Couple of tanks riding down to the Thousand Islands and back.

Did an overdue oil change. Normally change before storage but neglected to do so last fall.

Painful reminder to wear safety glasses when using brake cleaner. Won't forget that one for awhile.

·
Premium Member
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #178
Finally installed the Gray Area shift support.

Had to grind down the kickstand and trim my case cover....

Reactions: Mirius

·
Premium Member
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #180
Reactions: varroa
161 - 180 of 193 Posts