KTM Duke 390 Forum banner

CDN Duke's build thread

66K views 195 replies 23 participants last post by  CDN Duke 
#1 ·
Purchased from Wheelsport in Orleans, Ontario, Canada, a suburb of Ottawa, the nation's capital.

Enquired about a new RC390 they had advertised at C$4999 on September 2nd and rolled out of the dealership September 17th on a white 2016 Duke 390 that they brought in on a dealer trade for me.

Cost out the door was C$6047 including tire tax and HST, or approximately US$4650 based on exchange rate then (~1.30).

Pics provided from the dealer before I took delivery:

Attachments

See less See more
Reactions: duke200
#2 ·
I ordered eBay crash bars, rear spools, plus front and rear sliders.

Attachments

#3 · (Edited)
De-stickered the tank and added Renthal 32mm Kevlar grips. We run Oury grips on all our MTBs and have run them on the last couple motorcycles but wanted to try out the Renthals to see what all the hype is about. They're good but I think I will probably go back to Oury's, the only issue is they don't come open ended.

Attachments

#4 ·
Ordered some Auxbeam F-16 H4 LED bulbs but while waiting for them to arrive, installed an H4 'Ion' all weather bulb plus LED for park light. Before and after pics.

Attachments

#5 ·
MNNTHBX airbox lid and the taller DNA Racing filter R-KT1SM11-0R version, specially designed for the RC390 CUP Edition.

The MNNTHBX lid needs weatherstripping or similar applied to underside when fitted on top of DNA filters as it won't seal properly otherwise. The filter gasket isn't as tall as the OE so it flops around under the lid unless built up with foam or similar.

Attachments

#6 ·
Ordered a PCV from Chad (cjwells) at Commonwealth aka KTMPerformance.com.

Had it shipped with tune based on Akra base map (flashed at dealer on delivery) for stock exhaust, open lid airbox and high flow filter.

Neglected to zip tie the O2 optimizer control box out of the way so it started melting on the header. Caught it just in time before the innards got melted :-O

Taped it back up tightly with electrical tape, now zip tied to bike.

Attachments

#7 ·
Bike runs awesome with the new PCV. Night and day difference without a doubt. Runs much stronger through mid-range. Keep in mind I was still in break in period and keeping bike below 8k rpms. The 'lean surge' hesitation at part throttle was completely eliminated.

With the PCV, I felt comfortable installing a pipe. I purchased a used GPR Ghost exhaust off chrisdigital21 on the RC390 forum. It comes with two db killers, didn't sound great with both installed and I preferred the tone with the bottom vs just the top, so have left it that way. It's a straight through design, all stainless construction. No catalytic.

The elbow normally present on the bottom db killer was cutoff by chrisdigital21 to improve flow. I was concerned that the exhaust was dumping out too close to rear tire vs having it directed away and out with the elbox. I've been advised it's really nothing to be worried about. The pipe is designed such that it can be run without the bottom db killer at all.

Pics of the pipe, the db killers (before and after = sooted), and the view of how it sits fore of the tire.

Attachments

#8 ·
I took the bike in for the initial valve adjustment this week. Dropped it at Woody's Cycles in Perth, about an hour away, as his labor rate is C$69/hr vs C$110/hr at Wheelsport. Bike was ready next day and cost is C$194.92. I will be doing the oil change myself after riding it home tomorrow.

I've also got some new bits to put on :)

T-Rex Racing 45mm lowering link and kickstand.

Auxbeam F-16 LED bulbs arrived yesterday.

'KTM' lever guards which just arrived today.

The latter two were ordered off aliexpress.

Attachments

#10 ·
Reactions: Omnislug
#13 ·
AliExpress 'KTM' lever guards installed.

Needed a small washer to space off of the throttle, without one, the orange spacer was causing the throttle tube to bind slightly.

Attachments

#14 ·
Auxbeam F-16 H4 LED

I ordered this one based on fact it had the hoods over the low beam LED bulbs, similar to the shield seen on standard halogen H4 bulbs.

I trimmed the rubber boot to pull out the OE connector and to fit the fan on the outside.

There does seem to be some reflective artifacts on lowbeam, but overall, seems like pretty decent cutoff pattern.

Attachments

Reactions: Diploman
#15 ·
Valve adjustment ended up being just a check - all valves were in spec. Both exhaust measured out at 0.13mm, with intake at 0.09 and 0.10mm respectively - with the spec of 0.15 +/- 0.02mm and 0.10 +/- 0.02mm.

#16 ·
Oil changed for Amsoil Dirt 10w50.

Small screen was pretty clean, but the big one on the drain plug did show a few metal shavings.

Attachments

#19 ·
The current state of affairs.

Attachments

Reactions: bcutler2003
#25 ·
Here are gallery pics - rather than hyperlinked attachments above.

#20 ·
Lowered the bike on Sunday night, here's full review thread of the T-Rex Racing 45mm lowering kit:
http://www.ktmduke390forum.com/foru...49-t-rex-racing-45mm-lowering-kit-review.html

Added fuel filler cap sticker tonight - cheap eBay piece, US$.99 shipped. Don't know how they can afford to ship them at that price... It was a bit tricky to align so it's a bit crooked but for now, it's fine. I was worried about scratching the paint on the cap. The last bike had a raw aluminum finish that could be buffed if needed - this is faux look with silver paint and now I've added a faux carbon fiber sticker ;)

#21 ·
Couple items I forgot to mention earlier.

The OE KTM 'HD' radiator guard. Inexpensive and hopefully improves the cooling somewhat with the directed fins. I neglected to order the 4 grommets for the sides, picking those up from the dealer today and will install tonight.

And, one of the most important upgrades to the bike and actually the second modification I did after the tank sticker removal: Upgraded front brake pads. These make a huge difference and should be top of anyone's list if they haven't done it yet. I used Galfer HH as they were more readily available locally than the EBC.

#23 ·
Couple items I forgot to mention earlier.

The OE KTM 'HD' radiator guard. Inexpensive and hopefully improves the cooling somewhat with the directed fins. I neglected to order the 4 grommets for the sides, picking those up from the dealer today and will install tonight.

]
The grommets serve no purpose if don't fit the "HD" side radiator covers (90208061000 & 90208060000 )

#22 ·
Bike going back to dealer today for teardown to understand cause of fender misalignment and see what KTM Canada suggests as solution.

#24 ·
They do fit, but I agree they don't really do anything.

#26 ·
Dealer called to say bike is ready to be picked up. They straightened the rear frame to account for the offset in the tail section and replaced the instrument cluster lens. Under warranty from KTM.

Will rent a trailer and haul it to storage on Saturday.

#28 ·
Hmm... I'll find out when I pick it up. Could be full cluster.

Reason was drip marks on underside of 'glass', seemed dried on and then got new just before I took it in, so I expect seal was bad.

#30 ·
Installed Symtec Heat Demon heated grips, Kijima helmet lock, and new to me Competition Werkes pipe.

Attachments

Reactions: Diploman and 17353
#35 ·
Reactions: Diploman and 17353
#34 ·
Found my receipt, part number matched to same FD450G1371. Maybe manufacturing tolerance on either caliper or pad backings...

Reactions: 17353
#36 ·
Short clip of Werkes pipe. Will do a longer video later when it's warmer out

#37 ·
I need to post up some updates...

KTM part number 61303946044

Passenger peg sliders. Required modifying to fit, trimming so it would fit in peg. Otherwise a simple​ install for a bit more protection.

Attachments

Reactions: Omnislug