KTM Duke 390 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my chain seems aligned but when I'm sitting on the bike, the space between the chain and the plastic piece to the side gets larger and smaller as the chain turns.
Here's a video of what I mean.

chain.mp4

You can see that the side of the chain almost touches the plastic piece.
My chain looks straight, but I haven't used a chain alignment tool.

Is this because my alignment isn't correct? The tickmarks align perfectly on the swingarm. Bike has 2k on it, never been dropped.

chain_before.jpg

Then I roll forward and ....
chain_after.jpg

·
Registered
495 Posts
My chain looks straight, but I haven't used a chain alignment tool.
You shouldn't go by looks. Buy a wheel alignment tool, it should be relatively cheap. KTM powerparts sell one for very cheap.
Is this because my alignment isn't correct? The tickmarks align perfectly on the swingarm.
Tickmarks could be offset off each other, and shouldn't be relied on for wheel alignment.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Wheel alignment won’t of itself cause the chain to move since it will maintain the alignment as it spins.

However unless you have a brand new chain running on perfectly clean sprockets then movement can be expected. Chain wear tends to be uneven so a single tight link will pull the chain at that point.

But movement in the front sprocket can also cause chain movement. I don’t think you can draw particular conclusions from your observations.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts