KTM Duke 390 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My duke is being delivered in 2 days time and I'd like to change the grips for some renthal ones I have had for years. Has anybody else changed they're grips and how easy are they to get off? Thanks in advance

·
Registered
817 Posts
You will never use the original ones again.......for anything cause their CHEAP CRAP!
Easiest way is just use a razor blade and slice down the center then a light spray on the bars with some hair spray (or internally into the grips). Slide on let sit for 10mims and your good to go!!!

Oh be sure to check for grip length before glueing ;)

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks sandy Mary, after reading that the bike has a bad throttle, I think I may go with ordering one of the G2 throttle tubes. I can't seem to find anyone in the UK who stocks them though

·
Registered
104 Posts
On the throttle side of mine the tube has tabs that locate inside the flange (either end) of the original grip.

I used a stanley knife to carve off the ones on the outside and on the inside I just slid the Renthal grip up till it butts against the tabs.

This makes the throttle side grip slightly shorter but prevents the grip getting too close to the non moving throttle housing and causing any binding issues.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Good point MV, I just cut em all off with the Dremel. I also had to trim (shorten) the ends off mine because I used crutch rocket grips. There squishy and comfy :D

·
Registered
12 Posts
I managed to fit my KTM heated grips today. Same as Dan i used the Dremel to file off all the tabs on the throttle tube so I could get a nice snug fit. Glued it a couple of mm short of the switch unit so no binding or anything.

The grips are awesome too. At max power they were getting uncomfortably hot even through my gloves so should be great for those frosty mornings.

·
Registered
264 Posts
If you have access to compressed air there is an even easier way to get grips off and on that I saw in my local shop in Singapore. After removing bar ends; using an air nozzle (the type of long tube is best) blow a stream of air down one side of the grip (inside to outside) - the grip swells and blows or slides off. To put the grip back on repeat but in the opposite direction - use the air to increase the grip diameter - after putting it on then cut / trim the end.

If your bike doesn't have bar ends you can literally pop off the grips by blowing in one end of the bar - the grip pops off the other end.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm looking at replacing the grips on mine, as they are uncomfortable on rides any longer than 20 minutes.

Am looking at Driven D3 grips (in black of course). Will these fit? They are an aluminium grip with a gel rubber grip on them.

I havent replaced grips before, will I encounter any dramas installing these?

·
Registered
13 Posts
grips should be pretty straight forward

almost universal among motorcycles
I ended up going with a set of rizomas. Easy as to fit (no gluing required, screws instead) and shortened the throttle length a little too.

If I could figure out how to add pictures from my tablet I would...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts