KTM Duke 390 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,water coolant is mixing with oil thus oil has become whiteish and creamy.my question is can a mechanic change oil pump seal without opening the engine or changing the head gasget?.thanks in advance

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
As long as everything is ok now the head gasket must be ok too. I’m glad it was an easy fix!
heat level is at 7 bars.i have checked the oil 3 times since the repair.its perfect.by the way i also changed the oil pressure sensor cause low oil pressure alert was popping up.added antifreeze. everything is done and done :) .thanks for the concern moazman

·
Registered
4 Posts
heat level is at 7 bars.i have checked the oil 3 times since the repair.its perfect.by the way i also changed the oil pressure sensor cause low oil pressure alert was popping up.added antifreeze. everything is done and done :) .thanks for the concern moazman
Hello friend.
I guess your mechanic changed both seals behind the water pump (coolant seal & oil seal).
Since you mentioned that it was cheap, I was wondering if at the end they had to open the engine case to replace the inner (oil) seal, or they were able to change them by just opening the water pump cover.
Thanks in advance,
B.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hi there bilstein.just opening the water pump case was enough to change 2x seals.the outer seal was easy to remove but the inner was sticky,like it had become one piece with the metal its holding.it took like 2 minutes to remove the inner seal.there isnt a connection with opening the engine and changing water pump seals.water pump is located next to oil filter cap just below the radiator.Take care... ( picture taken from ktm390 forum)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ps : i recommend changing the water pump gasget when you change the seals.its also a cheap item

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for the fast reply, this helps a lot.
I already have the water pump repair kit for my model, but I was it was not really clear for me if the oil seal needs to be (dis) mounted from the inner part of the engine's case. Last thing: do you know if Amy special grease is needed to be used upon changing then seals?
Cheers

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the fast reply, this helps a lot.
I already have the water pump repair kit for my model, but I was it was not really clear for me if the oil seal needs to be (dis) mounted from the inner part of the engine's case. Last thing: do you know if Amy special grease is needed to be used upon changing then seals?
Cheers
Yes mate,better grease 2x seals and outer gasget before mounting them.i did grease the seals and gasget before mounting

·
Registered
802 Posts
Replace both the seals front and back, and it should solve the issue. If you can source silicone seals that's the best. The front seal is easily removable, the second seal behind the back would mean a complete strip down.

Cheers!
VJ

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
for me,front seal was easy to remove,but the second seal was stuck so the mechanic had to tear it down :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Two layers of oil don't mix but are simply at different levels. You can usually replace the seal without removing the entire oil pan. Still, if you want it to be replaced "painlessly," it has to be removed so you or the handyman can replace it. I had this problem too and read many sources, including SealWithEase.com | The #1 Sealing Resource sealants, hoping to find an easy answer. But it turned out to be the only solution available, and I took my bike to a reliable handyman for repair, too. I didn't want to break anything trying to replace it myself. I'm glad it worked out for you too.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello, I’ve been having issues with coolant mixing with engine oil on my KTM duke 125 2014, so I’ve replaced the first seal but didn’t manage the second, it teared away abit ripping away some of the seal..so I have to change the second seal…my question is does the engine cover or engine need to be opened to replace the inner seal? Or can this be done within the water pump? Also I bought a water pump repair kit online…which I received a impeller and two seals, (both seals are the same) can this be used for the second seal or is it a different seal? (Can’t find anything online regarding this 😨😨)
Thank you

1 - 20 of 24 Posts