KTM Duke 390 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody ever installed Chinese levers and noticed the clutch slipping?

Is there something im installing wrong? It seems like the ones I ordered aren't exactly fitted the same as the stock ones but I thought I'd give it a shot.

Problem is with the new clutch lever is it seems I have to fully disengage the clutch lever compared to 1/3 or half I would of had to with the stock levers. Another problem I noticed was at high RPM it felt like the clutch was slipping and not fully engaging.

I know these cheap Chinese ones are hit and miss so I may of just missed on these ones.

That being said has anybody installed the Puig 2.0 levers? They are a little pricey but I'm willing to pay if the quality is much better.

These are the ones I bought

And these are the Puig ones I am looking at

·
Registered
586 Posts
Did you adjust your clutch cable? I've had a set of cheap Chinese levers for 20,000 miles now and didn't have any issue like what you are describing.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Yes, I’ve had the clutch slip issue because my levers took up a bit more cable than the stock resulting in it not fully engaging. Cure was to create more cable slack at the engine end but it was a close call.

Lever design does affect how much cable the lever pulls so will impact on how much you need to pull the lever in. Some people prefer more lever travel.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, I’ve had the clutch slip issue because my levers took up a bit more cable than the stock resulting in it not fully engaging. Cure was to create more cable slack at the engine end but it was a close call.

Lever design does affect how much cable the lever pulls so will impact on how much you need to pull the lever in. Some people prefer more lever travel.

I'll give that a shot. It seems like I'll need quite a bit of slack to fix my problem. I'm assuming you just adjusted it with the adjustment nut right at the clutch on the motor casing?

·
Registered
622 Posts
I'll give that a shot. It seems like I'll need quite a bit of slack to fix my problem. I'm assuming you just adjusted it with the adjustment nut right at the clutch on the motor casing?
It was necessary to have it with only one nut at the bottom of the outer cable with the second nut the other side of the bracket . I’ve seen pictures of both that and the two nuts together as lock nuts so both seem to work. Overall the cable seems just a bit too short.

·
Registered
763 Posts
I fitted a pair of Chinese levers and they work fine, easy to adjust for the recommended slack at the lever.

One thing l did notice, that the clutch lever was very tight on the pivot and needed filing down a little so it operated smoothly without binding.

But at £14 for two levers l wasn’t complaining, the Puig levers were eight times the price and the KTM ones were over ten times the price.

Only the Chinese levers would adjust closer to the bars (than the standard levers) which is what l wanted to achieve.

l actually tried the KTM and Puig levers and had to send them back.

·
Registered
441 Posts
No matter what lever you go with, a proper install would include adjusting the clutch cable To be within spec so that the clutch plates do not slip. I chose the KTM powerparts levers for my bike, and it was not plug and play.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts