KTM Duke 390 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys, i've misured the diameter of the handlebar in the center, where is kept set... it is 260mm.... now, i tried to find a handlebar to sostituite this but i find only handlebar that misure 220mm or 280mm, can the 280mm handlebar be mounted on my duke? or you think not?

·
Registered
817 Posts
If your refering to the center piece that clamps down its basically down to you how wide you want you bars or arms apart. They will fit but you also need to be careful of low rise etc as they could make the controls bang on the tank shrouds. Handlebars are like finding the right fitting shoe, hundreds of options and never the one you want the first time around. I go into the store and work out which ones I like then look online.

·
Registered
7 Posts
As Dan said. Heaps of options. Are you wanting a similar style, just a bit different? Same, but different colour? Go into a local store and have a look at brands like Renthal, or look online...

I fitted a set of FZ1 bars on my FZ6. A little flatter and a little wider with less sweep back. Made a huge difference to the feel and comfort. Controls are about 1mm away from the tank though.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
As Dan said. Heaps of options. Are you wanting a similar style, just a bit different? Same, but different colour? Go into a local store and have a look at brands like Renthal, or look online...

I fitted a set of FZ1 bars on my FZ6. A little flatter and a little wider with less sweep back. Made a huge difference to the feel and comfort. Controls are about 1mm away from the tank though.
Nice! Did you find out about that through the forums or some other way? In for pic.

·
Registered
533 Posts
anyone done clubmans yet? I'll be interested in clubmans and erhaps moving the pegs once we get them round these parts. Would be nice if someone figured out the logistics first :D;)

·
Registered
104 Posts
I think the OP has added an extra zero and is talking about the clamp diameter of the handlebars.

I measure mine as 28mm though, not 26mm. OP, did you use a caliper to measure?

The choice of 28mm bars does seem a bit restricted so I'm considering fitting new risers so I could use 7/8" or 22mm bars which are much more readily available.

·
Registered
104 Posts
anyone done clubmans yet? I'll be interested in clubmans and erhaps moving the pegs once we get them round these parts. Would be nice if someone figured out the logistics first :D;)
As I see it this type of bar will be the only way to get lower on the Duke as the controls will hit the tank if we fit lower rise or straighter bars.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Nice! Did you find out about that through the forums or some other way? In for pic.
Without hijacking the OPs thread too much, that's what these types of forums are all about - experimenting and sharing ideas. FZ1 bars on the FZ6 are quite common over on FZ6 forum. FZ6 has been around for a while now, so lots of info. Unfortunately the Duke is still in its infancy with mods and changes.

I think we need the OP to come back to confirm if he's talking diameter or length....

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Without hijacking the OPs thread too much, that's what these types of forums are all about - experimenting and sharing ideas. FZ1 bars on the FZ6 are quite common over on FZ6 forum. FZ6 has been around for a while now, so lots of info. Unfortunately the Duke is still in its infancy with mods and changes.

I think we need the OP to come back to confirm if he's talking diameter or length....
Indeed, thats why I love them, one of the better ways to interact with folks with the same toy.

·
Registered
533 Posts
As I see it this type of bar will be the only way to get lower on the Duke as the controls will hit the tank if we fit lower rise or straighter bars.
wait, you think clubmans will bring the controls into contact with the tank, or clubmans are the only ones that won't?

Do let me know what you end up finding, when we get them here eventually I'm interested in a bit more racy position you know, plus I'm a shorter guy, well average 5'8" so I figure I could really hang off her with the right set up :D

·
Registered
817 Posts
Are clubmans also known as clip ons? Sportsbike bars? If thats what your refering to it can be done. Theres a clip on youtube where they modified the Duke for the drag strip in India.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Are clubmans also known as clip ons? Sportsbike bars? If thats what your refering to it can be done. Theres a clip on youtube where they modified the Duke for the drag strip in India.
No, we are talking about ace bars, this kinda thing,

I don't see anyway clip ons would fit with the 'tank' in place.

·
Registered
104 Posts
If you mean the "Valley run 2014" video, they've removed the tank cover. Not that turning circle would be a major concern for a drag bike anyway.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Weird bar diameter size.

I bought "fat bars", they did not fit, measured the bar diameter, and they are indeed some weird middle ground between "normal" and "fatbar". Has any one else replaced their bars , and did you have to change out the bar clamps?

·
Registered
220 Posts
The OP is obviously referring to the diameter of the bars at the bar mounts / clamps, I measured the diameter & my digital calipers are showing 26mm also, I was confused & rather annoyed with KTM when I found this, No choice but to buy genuine KTM bars unless you change the mounting clamp setup

The thought of fitting the hidious looking heavy rust magnet clubman or ace bars as they are known is just ridiculous to me, The whole point of owning a 390 Duke is to enjoy the comfortable upright riding position, I think an RC390 would be a much better option if you want a bike to lay down in the race position on, Try riding it all day though & see how your back shoulders neck etc go??? Maybe even a stripped / naked RC390 might be an option for something different, The bars pictured above belong on a 60s to 80s cafe racer style bike, Certainly would not go down the path of clip ons of any type either to ruin the fork tubes

To fit some 28mm 1-1/8" fat bars it would just be a matter of changing the bar mounts over to suit, There are way more fatbars available nowadays compared to 7/8" / 22mm + fatbars are stronger lighter & PHAT! These are modern bikes, Why put old tech parts on them?

eg These 28mm bars mounts are supposedly a direct fit>
NEW 28mm KTM Duke 200 390 Bike Motorcycle Handlebar Taper Clamp Riser Raiser BAR | eBay

The same seller has 1" bars also but I would certainly be upgrading to 28mm bars if we ever need to>
http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/m.html?_...A0.H0.Xhandlebar.TRS0&_nkw=handlebar&_sacat=0

1 - 17 of 17 Posts