KTM Duke 390 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi everyone,

I'm quite passionate about looking after my bikes and cars and i enjoy cleaning them almost as much as riding driving them. I was wandering if anyone may have any cleaning tips they wish to share with the forum for the duke 390.

thanks in advance.

·
Registered
817 Posts
I start off with some wax and grease remover on the swing arm, rim, sprocket, gear lever area and chain. To wash the bikes I use Mothers car wash with Canuba Wax in it.
After Ive dried everything I then use Mr Sheen furniture polish on the plastics as it keeps a glossy shine on plastics really good! Its been used for a long time so I didnt invent the idea.
Other than some INOX on the engine and swingarm I dont do much else.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I start off with some wax and grease remover on the swing arm, rim, sprocket, gear lever area and chain. To wash the bikes I use Mothers car wash with Canuba Wax in it.
After Ive dried everything I then use Mr Sheen furniture polish on the plastics as it keeps a glossy shine on plastics really good! Its been used for a long time so I didnt invent the idea.
Other than some INOX on the engine and swingarm I dont do much else.
What is inox dan? I'm not familiar with that

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
I have a different approach. Unless I get caught in rain or heavy mud I stay away from the "traditional" wash process, since water can invade electronics, chassis and brake components. I remove as much dust as possible with compressed air, then use Maguire's Quick Detailer followed by several applications of Motul Wash and Wax Detailer, which is a great product for all surfaces, even seats ! I've found over time frequent washing requires due diligence for electrical connections, control pivot points such as shifter and brake linkages, cables, etc. Not saying my approach is better or worse than anybody else's, mind you.

Pete

·
Premium Member
1,630 Posts
I also use Motul Wash & Wax, Motul Chain Cleaner, Motul Chain Wax and Motul Wheel Clean in conjunction with a water pressure cleaner. I don't do it much though, probably once a month, and this on a workhorse commuter.

Need to clean and tension my chain more often, maybe at least every two weeks.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
I gotta give Motul props, they make some really nice chemicals. I used to use Plexus on everything but Motul's half the money (or less). I save Plexus now for instruments and helmet faceshields.

·
Premium Member
1,630 Posts
I gotta give Motul props, they make some really nice chemicals. I used to use Plexus on everything but Motul's half the money (or less). I save Plexus now for instruments and helmet faceshields.
I have a Plexus aerosol I use for my helmet, works really well.

·
Registered
682 Posts
I'm with Pete on this one. I don't like squirting water around unless it's really necessary, 'coz I reckon that can put electrics at risk & push crap deeper into the recesses of the bike.

Having said that I don't ride in the rain or on dirt so the bike stays clean-ish anyway.

I start with a microfibe cloth to gently dust all body surfaces & the frame, then clean with Bowdens Own 'Autobody Detail'. Engine/swingarm/forks get wiped down with INOX sprayed on a rag. Wheels also get the INOX on a rag treatment to clean the crud off, but after I wipe them down again with the Autobody Detail. This removes any oily residue that dirt/dust can stick to.

If I'm maintaining the chain I'll do that first. Take the sprocket cover & chain guard off then wash the chain down with kero & a toothbrush, wipe dry & lube with Lanotec.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
I use WD-40 for my chain cleaning along with a "Grunge Brush". Cheap and effective, fish oil in a can. I have noticed however after cleaning the chain I get surrounded by feral cats down on the docks ;)

Pete

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
I don't really do dirt at all, so rarely an issue.

But SDOC100 is incredible as a cleaner. Just astounding.

That, along with some GT-85 and ACF50 for keeping dirt away in the first place and I'm all good.

Then for polishing I use a DAS6 dual action polishing machine :)

·
Registered
682 Posts
Read on another forum that baby wipes work well to clean wheels so I gave it a try today... and they work !

Reactions: B7ACKTHORN

·
Registered
682 Posts
Hi Pete,

The paint on mine looks & behaves like powder coat should. Tried scratching at it with a fingernail & there were no marks of any kind left behind.

Are you sure the scratches you saw are in the paint ?

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
I'm going to clean my chain and wheels some night this week, having first really good weather weekend since snow melted and I need to rack up some miles to finish break-in. Glad to hear they're powder coated rather than just paint. I'll get some Motul spray wax on them to keep them happy.

Pete

·
Registered
211 Posts
Oh well Muc-Off is really popular in the cleaning industry

I am actually been using the same cleaning products that i am using on my bicycle for my Dukes

Muc-Off 's lifeline essential bike and chain cleaning kit > high quality brushes, designed to remove stubborn dirt without damaging your bike..

Chain Lube Motorex *off road*

Muc-Off's Nano Tech Motorcycle Cleaner.

*Team Sky* Premium Microfiber Polishing Cloth

Muc-Off's Miracle Shine .

Dukes have a lot of plastic and not so good quality even on the rims, i recommend you be reading what chemicals you use on them.

Peace,

biz

·
Registered
440 Posts
If my bike is particularly dirty, then I give it the full over job.

This is the bike beforehand, post a 670mile round trip to the South coast and back over a weekend. It was filthy!

This is the first stage, a good dowsing with Cherry snowfoam, let it sit in that for a wee while to soak through all the grit, grime and oily road deposits.

Then a rinse

But that hasn't got most of the crap off. But like Weeksy, I use SDOC100 and using the two bucket system (one for clean water, one for rinsing out my shaggy MucOff mitt) I spray with SDOC and then go over with the mitt, using MucOff brushes as I go to get into the nooks and crannies. And then a proper rinse over from head to toe, to ensure that all the cleaning stuff is thoroughly removed.

To get it sparkly clean.

Back wheel

Front wheel

I could go on and give it a polish as well, using MucOff Miracle Shine, but it's already got that all over, hence why the crap came off it so well in the first place. So no need to do a full spit and polish so soon, which means I can just don my lid and go for a blast, which I did. :D

·
Registered
802 Posts
Wow, Hedskatoom, beautifully done there, absolutely beautiful.

Cheers!
V

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
You never removed the front bellypan !

What about the underside of the hugger ?

how about the sprocket cover on the front ?

the chainguard ?

What do you mean, REALLY ? yeah really ;)

·
Registered
440 Posts
Well, yeah, I could take the bike apart and wash all the parts individually and then reassemble, but I don't, as i"d rather be riding it than washing it :p

But in answer:

You never removed the front bellypan ! NOPE

What about the underside of the hugger ? IT GOT DONE :p

how about the sprocket cover on the front ? IT TOO, GOT A WASH

the chainguard ? IT WAS WIPED with a degreasing handwipe and then Back to Black

So there! :D

1 - 20 of 30 Posts