KTM Duke 390 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never been able to get my clutch cable play quite right on my 2016 duke 390. The free play is correct when handlebars are straight, but turning the bars to the extreme left definitely pulls on the cable a bit and partially engages the clutch. The manual states this should not happen and if I'm stopped and have to turn sharp left it makes it difficult to get power delivery that I need. I'm putting in a EBC SRK clutch kit in soon so I want my settings perfect.

Has anyone ever had to reroute their clutch cable? Any tight spots I should watch out for specifically?

·
Registered
146 Posts
what year bike do you have, mine is a '16' and I just pushed the cable up out of the holder by the right hand mounting bracket

·
Registered
437 Posts
If the cable is too short - often seems to happen with aftermarket levers or a bar change then just skip one or both of the clamps by the handlebar clamps.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If the cable is too short - often seems to happen with aftermarket levers or a bar change then just skip one or both of the clamps by the handlebar clamps.
what year bike do you have, mine is a '16' and I just pushed the cable up out of the holder by the right hand mounting bracket
I'm a bit confused as to how the cable route can be any more direct. It goes from the left lever through the top triple clamp, behind the headlight, through one of the two loops on the right side of the frame, directly to the clutch cover. Which clamps are you guys referring to? I'm linking a video that shows the clutch cable route. Maybe someone can point me in the right direction based on the video? Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
146 Posts
on mine I have it so it is above the bolts in the silver engine mount brackets, it doesn't give much extra but it releases some tension, another way would be to get a longer cable or route it behind the steering stem,
the downside is that wherever it is routed it will get tight or kinked when you turn the bars fully left or right,
you have to just try things until you find a way that suits you

·
Registered
22 Posts
You can definitely route it more directly than standard. I fitted wider bars on mine and had to do this which helped a bit, but I wanted even more length so I just bought a $15 (AUD) cable off eBay that was 50mm longer. Now I have plenty of slack.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts