KTM Duke 390 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
New member here. Greetings to everyone from Northern Thailand.
I have had my 2018 390 for a little over a month. It had 15,000 km on it. I've added an extra 800 km. I was wondering how long the clutch cables last. Has anyone had to replace one?

·
Super Moderator
1,296 Posts
Welcome CR DUKE 390,

On neither of my 2 Dukes, I have had issues with my clutch cables.

The throttle cable though I have had to replace on my 2012 Duke 200 at around 34,000km.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, KTMasean. I believe on my 2018 390, it is a ride-by-wire throttle, so no throttle cable to worry about. I asked about the clutch cable as I had a Suzuki DR250SH in the early 90s which suffered a broken clutch cable after 3,000 miles, but it had been used offroad before I bought it. That wouldn't help.

·
Super Moderator
1,296 Posts
Right ha ha.
If it worries you, buy a spare clutch cable and keep that in your backpack/luggage when riding. It is a very straight forward swap en-route if it happens.
As said both my Duker (knock wood) never had any clutch cable issues.
On my 200 I swapped both the throttle and clutch cable out for new ones as the throttle cable was rusted inside which made it stick, (revving high at idle).
These cables are a couple of 100 Baht.
There are firms in Thailand (and elsewhere) doing higher-quality stainless steel cable customised at length you want (handy if you would like to raise your handlebars).

·
Super Moderator
1,296 Posts
Not at this moment but my 2015 Duke 390 is. I am in Laos on my 200 Duke now ;)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'd be interested to know how you're going to get back into Thailand. I bet there's some difference between the 200 and 390.

·
Super Moderator
1,296 Posts
The difference is about 173cc ;) bike-wise not much difference, my 2012 Duke 200 has a small 280mm front brake rotor but sufficient for here.
No charcoal canister and I have Pirelli MT60's on her now as I do a lot more dust roads here. (got Rally STR on order arriving in Jan. 2021).
Obviously, the 390 has noticeably more power, torque and top speed but for Lao the 200 is perfect.
If interested check out: KTMLaos

I will just sit it out in Laos until border crossings will be relatively normalised again. Recon with close to this period 2021.
The 200 is on Lao plating so no issues there.

·
Super Moderator
1,296 Posts
Steady as a rock.
200 bought in BKK and ridden to Mukdahan, imported in Savannakhet and so far done about 25,000 in Laos.
390 bought new at Burn Rubber Suk. 26 KTM Import in Nov. 2015 done about 25,000km in Thailand from the Malaysian border up to Myanmar border and now unfortunately parked since Feb 2019 on Phuket.
Run Motorex semi-synth.10W-50 in the 200 and Ipone full synthetic 10W-60 in the 390
Both bikes have DNA air filters and a PowerTRONIC piggyback.

I'll have a look at KTMLaos. Have both your KTMs been reliable?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Steady as a rock.
200 bought in BKK and ridden to Mukdahan, imported in Savannakhet and so far done about 25,000 in Laos.
390 bought new at Burn Rubber Suk. 26 KTM Import in Nov. 2015 done about 25,000km in Thailand from the Malaysian border up to Myanmar border and now unfortunately parked since Feb 2019 on Phuket.
Run Motorex semi-synth.10W-50 in the 200 and Ipone full synthetic 10W-60 in the 390
Both bikes have DNA air filters and a PowerTRONIC piggyback.

That's encouraging news. Mine has done almost 15,700 km. A friend owned it before me for 5,000 km - no issues whatsoever. I can only assume the first 10,000 km went smoothly for the first owner as he only had it for nine months. I am mightily impressed with the performance. It has had an airbox mod, performed by BKK KTM, coupled with a K&M air filter. The gearing has been upped a bit with a different sprocket, resulting in a bike which will pull top gear cleanly at 3,000 rpm but feels relaxed on the highway. I find it difficult to believe it's only a 373.

·
Super Moderator
1,296 Posts
I'd be curious to what your air-box mod entiles. Is this the airfilter cover mod in order to be able to hold the K&N element upside down?
These are amazing in power output and I love the sweet spot between 6,500 - 7,000 rpm.
My 200 was the first ever KTM Duke in the PDR about a year before the KTM dealer arrived here (and is gone already).

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I know it involved the airbox being drilled. I don't know whether the K&N filter is upside down or not. What would be the benefit of it being so?
I'll ask the last owner what the mod entailed.

·
Super Moderator
1,296 Posts
If it has been drilled it most likely is the filter element cover (where the snorkel sits).
An easier way would be to separate the bottom part and the top part of the cover.
The advantage of fitting the filter element upside down is to create a slightly larger intake filter volume underneath the filter element which some argue benefits running the engine.

Correction: I am referring to a first Gen Duke, no idea on the after 2016 models.

·
Registered
2019 KTM Duke 390 w/RapidBike Evo ECU piggyback
21 Posts
Thanks, KTMasean. I believe on my 2018 390, it is a ride-by-wire throttle, so no throttle cable to worry about. I asked about the clutch cable as I had a Suzuki DR250SH in the early 90s which suffered a broken clutch cable after 3,000 miles, but it had been used offroad before I bought it. That wouldn't help.
Another thing you can consider is lubricating your cable once a year. That’s what I do. I use a regular cheap chain lube spray (non-paraffin based). Some people use motor oil. You can find videos on YouTube on how to lube the cables. Super easy and even cheaper than buying new.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Another thing you can consider is lubricating your cable once a year. That’s what I do. I use a regular cheap chain lube spray (non-paraffin based). Some people use motor oil. You can find videos on YouTube on how to lube the cables. Super easy and even cheaper than buying new.
Thanks for that, John. I will.

·
Registered
21 Posts
If it has been drilled it most likely is the filter element cover (where the snorkel sits).
An easier way would be to separate the bottom part and the top part of the cover.
The advantage of fitting the filter element upside down is to create a slightly larger intake filter volume underneath the filter element which some argue benefits running the engine.

Correction: I am referring to a first Gen Duke, no idea on the after 2016 models.
Keep in mind that increased air volume requires more fuel and if the ECU cannot give you the right amount of fuel the air/fuel ratio will be too lean and that will be harming the engine. It really depends how much air is being available though.
I read that to take advantage of more air one needs to invest in piggyback fuel controller as those controllers wich has the feature to dynamically self adjust the ratio will ensure the proper air/fuel ratio.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Keep in mind that increased air volume requires more fuel and if the ECU cannot give you the right amount of fuel the air/fuel ratio will be too lean and that will be harming the engine. It really depends how much air is being available though.
I read that to take advantage of more air one needs to invest in piggyback fuel controller as those controllers wich has the feature to dynamically self adjust the ratio will ensure the proper air/fuel ratio.
It was all done by BKK KTM. It isn't running lean.

·
Super Moderator
1,296 Posts
This is where the O2 probe comes in. The OEM ECU is being fed the exhaust data and (I presume) will inject more fuel if the exhaust gasses indicate a too lean burning process.
A piggyback in general adds more fuel in the open circuit but the majority of piggybacks rely on the bikes ECU for the closed circuit.
I believe that the air column inside the air box determines the amount of air being able to enter the engine at the intake sequence, a clean and/or enlarged air intake filter will not change this much.
It becomes a different story when the whole process is enlarged, air intake and exhaust (larger air/fuel displacement).

·
Registered
21 Posts
This is where the O2 probe comes in. The OEM ECU is being fed the exhaust data and (I presume) will inject more fuel if the exhaust gasses indicate a too lean burning process.
A piggyback in general adds more fuel in the open circuit but the majority of piggybacks rely on the bikes ECU for the closed circuit.
I believe that the air column inside the air box determines the amount of air being able to enter the engine at the intake sequence, a clean and/or enlarged air intake filter will not change this much.
It becomes a different story when the whole process is enlarged, air intake and exhaust (larger air/fuel displacement).
I don’t understand what you mean by “open circuit” and “closed circuit”. Also if you’re drilling more holes in the air box’s cap you are enlarging the amount of air that comes in more easily.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts