KTM Duke 390 Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,307 Posts
Dear Johngalt,

Open- closed-circuit = open- closed-loop of the OEM ECU.
There is only that amount of air passing through a certain opening at a set amount of time.
The restricting factor is our inlet port and/or angle of the butterfly valve.
This opening at full throttle most likely equals the amount of air able to pass through the snorkel leading the air towards the outside part of your air filter element.
By drilling holes into the air filter element cover will only reduce the resistance "upstream" from the butterfly valve.
This does not mean there will be any more volume of air passing by the butterfly valve (it is not a forced inlet such as a turbo).
So, yes, the air is lead to the air filter element more easily.

I don’t understand what you mean by “open circuit” and “closed circuit”. Also if you’re drilling more holes in the air box’s cap you are enlarging the amount of air that comes in more easily.

·
Registered
2019 KTM Duke 390 w/RapidBike Evo ECU piggyback
23 Posts
Dear Johngalt,

Open- closed-circuit = open- closed-loop of the OEM ECU.
There is only that amount of air passing through a certain opening at a set amount of time.
The restricting factor is our inlet port and/or angle of the butterfly valve.
This opening at full throttle most likely equals the amount of air able to pass through the snorkel leading the air towards the outside part of your air filter element.
By drilling holes into the air filter element cover will only reduce the resistance "upstream" from the butterfly valve.
This does not mean there will be any more volume of air passing by the butterfly valve (it is not a forced inlet such as a turbo).
So, yes, the air is lead to the air filter element more easily.
Ok I get it now thanks.

·
Registered
2019 KTM Duke 390 w/RapidBike Evo ECU piggyback
23 Posts
Is it okay to lube the clutch cable with 3 in 1?
I wouldn’t lube it with any liquid that says “penetrates and cleans” like WD-40 or 3 in 1 for example, because the cleaning agents act are fundamentally opposite to longer term lubrication that we want in the cable.
Cleaning agents (kerosene based) are degreasers and they strip away the grease while leaving a thin film of oil substance wich is perfect for locks and hinges with tight clearances, but not as good for cables, moto chains, and other uses with higher clearances such as a cable. This is not to say that pouring 3 in 1 is going harm the cable a lot. No, but it will simply not be as good a lubricant and it will not last as long as a proper cable lubricant (or what I use is a regular, non-paraffin based, chain lubricant).
I recommend to use a proper cable lube or chain lube or just cheap gear oil mixed with motor oil.
3 in 1 (unless it’s some special made version for heavier duty jobs) will evaporate within a few months and will not protect the cable as well, so you would need to lube it again every few months. Wich is an option too if you enjoy this type of tasks and if you don’t forget to do it.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts