KTM Duke 390 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can any body tell me how well the clutch lever fits into its housing,
I'm trying to decide if my bike has a bad fitting aftermarket lever fitted (it has been dropped on the left side so possibly got broken), or if they are like it as standard,
my lever does not neatly fit into the housing shape, there is about 3mm of gap along the 'closed' line but it does touch against the stop area by the cable adjuster,
it works ok but it does seem quite a long reach out for the fingers

·
Registered
489 Posts
They all wiggle in the housing and feel loose. I haven't measured the gap, but it's probably normal. I've heard you can put a washer in to tighten it up, but I'm lazy and haven't tried it yet.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know they can wiggle, on mine it looks like the bolt hole is too far back in the lever which pushes the lever forward leaving the gap

·
Registered
522 Posts
I fitted aftermarket Chinese levers which are beautifully made, cost under £20 for the pair including postage, and they fit perfectly

They also adjust closer to the bars than the KTM OE levers.

This was after trying the KTM Powerparts ones at seven times the price and the Puig ones at five times the price.
Neither of which were any better than the Chinese ones.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Here you go, £13 for a pair
Having fitted and used them l cannot fault the quality
Shows how much they REALLY cost to make, if they can sell/ship these from China and still make a profit

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thank you for the link to the levers :cool:,
yes I should've taken a picture, I'll get one later :)

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
my new adjustable levers arrived, I fitted the clutch lever to the bike and then took it off again, I put it back in its wrapping and sent them both back,
I want an adjustable clutch lever because my fingers are short and the standard lever is a bit far out for me, the new adjustable one was further out on its 'closest in' position than the standard lever !
I have now fitted a cable tie between the lever and the mount which brings it in by about 15mm, it works fine for me and with the rubber cover it can not be seen

·
Registered
44 Posts
I made a spacer to insert inbetween the lever and housing to reduce the slop. Click the link in my signature to take to you the page on Thingiverse where you can download the STL that I created, and either print it or have someone else print it.

·
Registered
522 Posts
They are all like that.

If the aftermarket levers have a small turn knob or lever to adjust the span, you can file down the adjuster so the lever sits closer to the bars.
It’s not possible to do this with the OE levers because of the way that they are made.
On mine l filed down the contact point of the adjuster so the lever sat about 2cm closer to the bars on the minimum setting.
Doing this still gives you a range of adjustments if you aver find yourself with larger hands.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yes that's what I did with one on my Vmax, I just couldn't bothered doing it again :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts