KTM Duke 390 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I’ve been riding recently, and noticed that the clutch lever has about twice as much free play and the the lever has to be pulled and released much closer to the grip. The temperature is about 3-4 degrees C or 40F.
this happens when the bike is cold and has been warmed up equality.
Is anyone else experiencing this, is it common practice to adjust clutch lever for cold weather riding?

·
Super Moderator
1,946 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum,

Although we do not get such cold weather here often I did ride in close to 2C in the mountains up north before but never noticed this phenomenon.
Do you mean to say that after the bike has warmed up the free play goes back to the normal play?
I have no explanation as to why this would happen, perhaps others can chip in with ideas.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi and welcome to the forum,

Although we do not get such cold weather here often I did ride in close to 2C in the mountains up north before but never noticed this phenomenon.
Do you mean to say that after the bike has warmed up the free play goes back to the normal play?
I have no explanation as to why this would happen, perhaps others can chip in with ideas.
No, the extra play in the clutch lever remains the same as after cold start. It is pretty significant that I had to focus extra hard on shifting, it’s almost like a totally different bike.

·
Super Moderator
1,946 Posts
Wow, is there excessive play in the spindle operating the clutch plates?
Perhaps something is wrong with the friction stag or clutch basket?
At higher speeds, do the revs go up while your speed does not?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow, is there excessive play in the spindle operating the clutch plates?
Perhaps something is wrong with the friction stag or clutch basket?
At higher speeds, do the revs go up while your speed does not?
No, seems to operate and accelerate as before, just the clutch lever seems to be an issue

·
Super Moderator
1,946 Posts
There are 2 things I think, that possibly have caused this.
1) the routing of the clutch cable was not ideal and popped into place causing this play.
2) the cable (inner) is deteriorating and perhaps is about to snap.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts