KTM Duke 390 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I've just joined here as I'm considering the 390 Duke as a bike to use for commuting, Motogymkhana and the occasional trackday.

I'm sure it will do well at Motogymkhana, even with my bulk on board, but I'm not sure whether a trackday might be a bit much for the 390 - has anyone taken theirs around a track yet? I'm not exactly a fast group rider but I wouldn't want to feel like the 390 is getting flogged.

I probably need to sort a test ride out.

Cheers

L

·
Registered
179 Posts
I think the KTM Duke 390 would be fun for the track. It may not be quite as powerful as other track bikes but with a top speed of 169 km/h, you will have enough power to have fun on the track. Fun that you shouldn't be having on the regular road.

·
Registered
51 Posts
In my (very limited) experience of track days, the Duke should be fine. You'll always find slow people on big bikes and fast people on middleweights and small bikes. It's just a question of getting yourself in the right group. But that does depend a little on the tracks themselves. Oulton Park and Donington would probably be good for the Duke though.

Your bigger concern should be commuting as I'm not at all convinced that the Duke's rather average finish would stand up at all well to a British winter. And it's a shame to trash such a nice bike.

Riding the Duke in traffic is less fun than it should be too. I find the handlebars are at door mirror height for most family cars, and the mirrors at door mirror height for SUVs. A double-whammy of irritation when filtering.

bm

·
Registered
533 Posts
welcome aboard @ledwardo!

The duke will be a real thumper at the track although ou'll likey need some suspension mods to keep her really planted. Also the lack of an aero package might make things a little squirmy, but fun nonetheless!

·
Registered
264 Posts
In my (very limited) experience of track days, the Duke should be fine. You'll always find slow people on big bikes and fast people on middleweights and small bikes. It's just a question of getting yourself in the right group. But that does depend a little on the tracks themselves. Oulton Park and Donington would probably be good for the Duke though.

Your bigger concern should be commuting as I'm not at all convinced that the Duke's rather average finish would stand up at all well to a British winter. And it's a shame to trash such a nice bike.

Riding the Duke in traffic is less fun than it should be too. I find the handlebars are at door mirror height for most family cars, and the mirrors at door mirror height for SUVs. A double-whammy of irritation when filtering.

bm
I agree the mirrors and bars are at the wrong height for filtering.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the feedback.

Commuting is going to be the least of its duties so I'm not too concerned about the mirrors and I'll keep an eye on the finish.

My angle on trackdays is enjoying the corners rather than seeking top speed so the 390 sounds like it would suit what I'm after ok.

All good food for thought.

Cheers

·
Registered
817 Posts
Pick small tracks that are more turns than straights and it should be a blast, I can out corner most bikes in the twists but the straight line kills me.......actually to be honest they rape me on the straight. Im going to my first track day hopefully this month, its a small track but for me thats a bonus.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Thanks for the feedback.

Commuting is going to be the least of its duties so I'm not too concerned about the mirrors and I'll keep an eye on the finish.

My angle on trackdays is enjoying the corners rather than seeking top speed so the 390 sounds like it would suit what I'm after ok.

All good food for thought.

Cheers
Welcome to the Forum!

If you want to do trackdays...best to wait for the RC390...(The sportbike sibling)...coming soon!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The RC390 is a nice looking bike but it's the nimbleness of the Duke at low speed which I'd need for the Motogymkhana, plus it'll have the same power as the 390 Duke so thrashing it would still be a concern.

I think I'm going to have a test of a 390 and 690 Duke, see how they compare.

Thanks

·
Registered
533 Posts
The RC390 is a nice looking bike but it's the nimbleness of the Duke at low speed which I'd need for the Motogymkhana, plus it'll have the same power as the 390 Duke so thrashing it would still be a concern.

I think I'm going to have a test of a 390 and 690 Duke, see how they compare.

Thanks
heres a couple vids of the Duke 200 but its the same chassis so everything applies :D

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm considering one too. But then again, upon doing more research, I could get my dream bike which is a Triumph street triple R with less that 5000 miles for that money. Here in the Uk the Ktm sells for £4.500 so how can I justify paying that much for a new bike when that money could get me a 2 year old used 600cc which will blow the 390 out of the water. Decisions decisions

·
Registered
817 Posts
I'm considering one too. But then again, upon doing more research, I could get my dream bike which is a Triumph street triple R with less that 5000 miles for that money. Here in the Uk the Ktm sells for £4.500 so how can I justify paying that much for a new bike when that money could get me a 2 year old used 600cc which will blow the 390 out of the water. Decisions decisions
The Triple is a very nice bike but incomparable to the Duke. Ultimately its going to come down to the punch your looking for, if your looking for something that causes you to suck up an inch off seat cloth everytime you screw the throttle then dont choose the Duke. If your looking for something thats just fun everytime you hop on then the Dukes the go.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You can't really compare new prices to used - there are lots of superb secondhand bikes for £4500 to suit every desire.

That said, if your 'dream bike' is a Street Triple then I say go get one - they're meant to be great bikes :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts