KTM Duke 390 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2017 duke 390 and am researching the coober piggyback ecu and airbox cover. Its almost $600 so before I spent the money was curious if anyone has any experience with these mods? If so did you notice any kind of gains in power at all and if so what exactly?

I'm new to all this so another question I have is what exactly is plug and play? does that mean the bike does not need to be tuned after installation and that the new piggyback ecu will automatically adjust the bike for me?

I bought the bike used about 6 months ago, the previous owner did a cat delete with a slip on exhaust and K&N air filter.

Any advice is appreciated

·
Registered
28 Posts
I can't speak specifically to the Coober ECU/airbox cover combo, as I've no experience using their product(s). That said, they do get quite favourable reviews on here & elsewhere... Most ECU reviews report small power gains overall, but significantly smoother engine performance at lower RPM's. I wouldn't expect more.

Plug & Play generally refers to parts or accessories manufactured for a specific make/model bike and installation will require no significant modifications, if any. Install of the ECU piggyback only requires plugging the pre-configured wiring harness into the OEM harness at various points

I don't believe the Coober ECU automatically adjusts to the bike (like the Rapid Bike EVO) but comes with a couple different maps preloaded for use - depending on your specific configuration. There may be other tuning/mapping options available, but don't hold me to that.

Cheers!

·
Registered
185 Posts
I have the Coober ECU, I didn't notice any power upgrade (tho the redline is higher, so probably there is some top-end increase) but there's a night-and-day difference in low RPM behavior. It's a different bike on low RPMs and that's what I was after.

Coober says the ECU will self-adjust to the lid and a decat. I'm running with stock exhaust and stock airbox lid, so can't vouch for that. Coober also says the airbox cover only makes sense in conjunction with a decat exhaust.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have a 2020 Duke and have a Coober ECU. I have had it only for a week. I love it. Low RPM is much more manageable and I get a more even pull in acceleration across the RPM range. I have a cat-delete pipe installed but I left the Silencer installed otherwise it would be way to loud. I also have a K&N filter and Coober Airbox lid. Coober is a great company I have corresponded with the Owner via email. They sent me a T-shirt. The company is based basically down the street from KTM Austria. It's the only ECU that I know of that won't screwup your warranty, so there's that. There are no maps, it is a self contained system. Plug and Play. I highly recommend..

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a 2020 Duke and have a Coober ECU. I have had it only for a week. I love it. Low RPM is much more manageable and I get a more even pull in acceleration across the RPM range. I have a cat-delete pipe installed but I left the Silencer installed otherwise it would be way to loud. I also have a K&N filter and Coober Airbox lid. Coober is a great company I have corresponded with the Owner via email. They sent me a T-shirt. The company is based basically down the street from KTM Austria. It's the only ECU that I know of that won't screwup your warranty, so there's that. There are no maps, it is a self contained system. Plug and Play. I highly recommend..
Thanks man, more I research the more I like the coober setup. Going to pull the trigger on the ecu and airbox.

·
Registered
185 Posts
FWIW I had a engine failure shortly after installing Coober. It was probably not caused by the unit tho.
During a max-speed run the engine died. I unplugged the unit and got the bike fixed under warranty (the dealer didn't know about the ECU) - valve clearances zeroed themselves out (very strange failure!).

KTM central said this could happen with a new, not yet fully broken-in engine during extended max power operation. The bike had 2500 km on the odometer at the time.

They set valve clearance properly and the bike is fine now.
It's been through several track days since, with plenty WOT runs.

I guess the takeaway is: don't push your engine too much when it's young. The ECU might make it easier to overload a non-broken-in engine, so take it easy.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
FWIW I had a engine failure shortly after installing Coober. It was probably not caused by the unit tho.
During a max-speed run the engine died. I unplugged the unit and got the bike fixed under warranty (the dealer didn't know about the ECU) - valve clearances zeroed themselves out (very strange failure!).

KTM central said this could happen with a new, not yet fully broken-in engine during extended max power operation. The bike had 2500 km on the odometer at the time.

They set valve clearance properly and the bike is fine now.
It's been through several track days since, with plenty WOT runs.

I guess the takeaway is: don't push your engine too much when it's young. The ECU might make it easier to overload a non-broken-in engine, so take it easy.
I’m just a casual rider, I’ve had the bike for a few months now and haven’t hit anything over 85mph. It’s got power as is but I wouldn’t mind a little more of a kick to make it even more of a fun ride.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I also did the Cat-Delete pipe (which fit perfectly). I left the silencer in place and am glad I did. Without the silencer it would be really really loud (IXIL slip on Exhaust).

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have had a Coober for my 2019 390 Duke for about a week, and while it wasn’t cheap as such, it’s definitely worth doing. I got an unused second hand unit for a Husqvana 401 as it’s apparently 95% the same as the duke one. Throttle response and smoothness is so good. More smooth torque right through the rev rang which mow extends to 12k, although there isn’t much right up there. The airbox lid I 3d printed but my filter is a bit slim and the induction noise is really loud so I will have to work on that.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So I finally got the ECU installed about a month ago. Unfortunately the first unit didn't last long as I had an ECU failure mid-ride which killed the bike on me. The unit itself began to smoke on two different occasions and also popped a couple of fuses at the same time. COOBER was great as they sent me a new unit without hesitation. The second unit was installed and had no issues, the wiring was double checked, the ground wire was connected to the negative terminal, we really couldn't find any issues with the setup. I have had the second ECU running for almost a month now without any issues, the bike at low RPM's is much smoother no jerkiness, the acceleration is smooth with a little extra juice throughout the RPM range.

COOBER contacted me and said they sent the original unit to Austria for testing and found out the power regulator blew which happens when the ground wire's connected to the + terminal. But like I said that was double and triple checked and it never was so not sure what went wrong.

At the end of the day I'm happy with the purchase and how the bike feels now, would deff recommend to anyone who has a full exhaust system and an upgraded airbox cover, bike feels much better now.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have a 2017 duke 390 and am researching the coober piggyback ecu and airbox cover. Its almost $600 so before I spent the money was curious if anyone has any experience with these mods? If so did you notice any kind of gains in power at all and if so what exactly?

I'm new to all this so another question I have is what exactly is plug and play? does that mean the bike does not need to be tuned after installation and that the new piggyback ecu will automatically adjust the bike for me?

I bought the bike used about 6 months ago, the previous owner did a cat delete with a slip on exhaust and K&N air filter.

Any advice is appreciated
A piggyback ECU would give the bike a richer mixture and would make your jerky single cylinder duke at low revs quite smooth and refined. Other benefits are that a richer mixture will run a cooler engine and would increase your engine life. I would also recommend you to get a cheap free flow slip on exhaust from ebay etc to squeeze out the max from the ECU.
Another big selling point is also the unlocked rev counter till 12500 RPM

·
Super Moderator
2,014 Posts
Not all the piggybacks offer the rev limiter increase option. Some Dimsport units need to get released by a software point. I don't think any cheap slip-on of the Bay's is a good idea.

A piggyback ECU would give the bike a richer mixture and would make your jerky single cylinder duke at low revs quite smooth and refined. Other benefits are that a richer mixture will run a cooler engine and would increase your engine life. I would also recommend you to get a cheap free flow slip on exhaust from ebay etc to squeeze out the max from the ECU.
Another big selling point is also the unlocked rev counter till 12500 RPM

1 - 14 of 14 Posts