KTM Duke 390 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought a Coober secondhand off eBay the other week for my new shape 390 Duke. It's made a huge difference to the tractability of the engine, and has extended the rev range of the gears in both directions (ie it's less fussy what gear your in).

However, every now and then it hesitates, as though the chain's knackered, or even the cush rubbers are knackered, but both check out. It only happens at lowish speeds, and it kinda stalls momentarily and then gets on with it.

Any ideas anyone?

ETA: I use Shell V Power as a rule (99 RON, IIRC), and use 95 if the 99's not available

·
Registered
673 Posts
My 2018 Duke 390 occasionally has a “lurch” at low RPM in first/second gear and it’s quite disconcerting when it happens. (Three times in 800 miles)

I fitted a Rapid Bike Easy module which stopped it happening, but had to disconnect it because my insurance wouldn’t cover the bike with it fitted.

The Coober is supposed to be a really good unit, have you tried contacting the company about it?

You don’t need to use higher octane fuel it will be fine on 95ron
It’s designed to run fine on the 91ron available in some countries

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don’t have any experience of it yet, but if it was me, I would clean and reseat all the connectors and test again
Yeah, I'll be doing just that this weekend, if the weather behaves itself.

<snip>

The Coober is supposed to be a really good unit, have you tried contacting the company about it?
Not yet. I imagine that they're not going to be that interested in a secondhand unit. However, if the cleaning and checking of connections doesn't solve matters, an email will be sent to Coober HQ

·
Registered
673 Posts
I’m sure they will be OK to give advice on their product.

I contacted the company who make the RBE unit as l was getting a check engine light and they were really helpful, they never even asked if l bought the unit new or used.
(the unit worked after changing one of the settings and the check engine light went out after a couple more rides)

·
Super Moderator
1,158 Posts
The Coober ECU units are not customer adjustable at all.
This is a plug & ride unit unlike other available piggybacks.
How many kilometres have you done with your piggyback before your insurance made you it take you off?
If you experienced the glitch 3 times in 1,290 kilometres but not on your ? kilometres run with the piggyback it could have been anything.
The Coober units, when bought new, can be factory set at a certain modification setting as in Power Parts exhaust.
First step would be to contact the seller and ask if this unit is for a standard set-up or ordered for any modifications.
Unlike you, I'm not too sure Coober will be getting into a dialogue on their units being bought second hand not knowing what has happened to them.

I’m sure they will be OK to give advice on their product.

I contacted the company who make the RBE unit as l was getting a check engine light and they were really helpful, they never even asked if l bought the unit new or used.
(the unit worked after changing one of the settings and the check engine light went out after a couple more rides)

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The Coober ECU units are not customer adjustable at all.
This is a plug & ride unit unlike other available piggybacks.
How many kilometres have you done with your piggyback before your insurance made you it take you off?
If you experienced the glitch 3 times in 1,290 kilometres but not on your ? kilometres run with the piggyback it could have been anything.
The Coober units, when bought new, can be factory set at a certain modification setting as in Power Parts exhaust.
First step would be to contact the seller and ask if this unit is for a standard set-up or ordered for any modifications.
Unlike you, I'm not too sure Coober will be getting into a dialogue on their units being bought second hand not knowing what has happened to them.
I've contacted the seller, and the Coober is apparently absolutely standard. Which doesn't help matters. Next step is to contact Coober themselves.

·
Super Moderator
1,158 Posts
Not trying to stir the pot.
There are tests being done by Rottweiler on the Coober piggyback product.
Mind you this is on the 790 bikes.
It seems, according to the testers, that Coober is putting out false claims on the decat of the 790's.
These tests have shown that the Coober unit does absolutely nothing in the closed-loop other than ignition advancing.
Oil tests have also been done showing no difference between cat or no cat (as Coober claims).
The band of closed-loop on the 790 apparently is much larger than on our 390 bikes.
Just informative as we all are eager to learn what is going on, I hope.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I hear of another test I believe being done with a Coober unit so I await news of that. But given Coober are responsible for warranty so I’m not going to be overly surprised if they prove to have taken a conservative stance. I wonder too if decat only is already within the parameters of the stock ECU.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts