KTM Duke 390 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 68 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #22
Because its an "either/or" question. The answer cant be yes to both unless you care to elaborate 馃槈
The answer would be still Yes. Working on both, like the OEM.
There is even a ktm paper existing, showing the 390 on 91, 93, 95 and 99Ron. It was in the measurement tolerance.

Recommendation is always to use higher octane fuel

Registered
Because its an "either/or" question. The answer cant be yes to both unless you care to elaborate 馃槈
The answer would be still Yes. Working on both, like the OEM.
There is even a ktm paper existing, showing the 390 on 91, 93, 95 and 99Ron.
It was in the measurement tolerance.

Recommendation is always to use higher octane fuel
Ok thank you.

Registered
I contacted Coober GmbH via their web site contact form, and asked for a forum discount.
The intention was that this would apply to anyone on this forum.
However, what happened was that they offered me a discounted price based on a promo that they had running a little while ago.
The upshot was that I was able to buy the ECU for a discounted price of 拢360 (regular price is 鈧469 or 拢410), which included shipping.
Therefore, if you're interested I suggest that you do the same as I did - got to be worth a 拢50 saving.

Registered
Good info @bucksfizz. I just stumbled upon this product on the AOMC website and was looking for more info. Does anyone here have one yet? Is there an install video or instructions available to look at?

Registered
Good info @bucksfizz. I just stumbled upon this product on the AOMC website and was looking for more info. Does anyone here have one yet? Is there an install video or instructions available to look at?
I have one, but I'm waiting until the first service is complete before installing.
Coober provides an installation guide in PDF format - it looks pretty easy to me.
Unfortunately, it's too big to attach (max file size is 20KB - boo).
Looking at the Coober wiring, there are connections for:
- Crankshaft Sensor
- Ignition
- Throttle
- Fuel Injection
Therefore, it controls more than a simple Boosterplug.

Registered
I have one, but I'm waiting until the first service is complete before installing.
Coober provides an installation guide in PDF format - it looks pretty easy to me.
Unfortunately, it's too big to attach (max file size is 20KB - boo).
Looking at the Coober wiring, there are connections for:
- Crankshaft Sensor
- Ignition
- Throttle
- Fuel Injection
Therefore, it controls more than a simple Boosterplug.
I too am interested in the feedback bf 馃弽馃挩

Registered
I have a general question @coobecu: How is it possible that you, according to your dyno chart, produce more power over the whole RPM range? And as far as I see you claim to do this for about 30 different bikes.

As far as I understand you "just" change the fuel and ignition timing. So, at least in theory, it seems KTM could change their maps and they could produce the same results, correct?
Why does KTM not do that? I guess they have spend a lot of time to develop and optimize that engine, likely (just my guess) they will have spent more time with that engine than you. So why can you do it so much better?
Are they restricted by laws and regulations and you don't have these restrictions?
What are they doing wrong?

Registered
They aren't doing anything wrong. They tune the bike lean for emission.

Optimizing the fuel along with tuning will improve this.

Registered
Stock bikes are increasingly jumpy due to ever tightening emissions targets. I'd rather KTM sell a bike that requires aftermarket upgrades than not sell the bike at all. I think this will be a continuing problem for vehicles that use internal combustion, at least for vehicles with production numbers and a sales point like the 390 Duke

Registered
I have a general question @coobecu: How is it possible that you, according to your dyno chart, produce more power over the whole RPM range? And as far as I see you claim to do this for about 30 different bikes.

As far as I understand you "just" change the fuel and ignition timing. So, at least in theory, it seems KTM could change their maps and they could produce the same results, correct?
Why does KTM not do that? I guess they have spend a lot of time to develop and optimize that engine, likely (just my guess) they will have spent more time with that engine than you. So why can you do it so much better?
Are they restricted by laws and regulations and you don't have these restrictions?
What are they doing wrong?
hello Ede

I am not really in to posting in other threads, but here i can help with info.

Got a chance to talk to their tech chef few times about their product and company. Makes it easier instead of guessing.

To say they "Just" change fuel and timing is not really true.

An example. Duke 390 the original Bosch is calibrating in every 500rpm step, this is enough to hit every permit regulation and enough to get the power they promises (or not) . Coober can do it in worst case every 10rpm if needed. This is 50 time more accurate then original. Also generating own signal like a standalone controller, Compared to dumb products like power commander, or bazzaz i would agree that they are 10 generations ahead, to what we can buy promoted on internet.
I hope you understand the first big difference.

Then there is an industrial background So far on my research coober is definitely involved in engine development, dyno testing and material research, for BMW sure they are involved, based on massive KTM knowledge they have i think there is a link somewhere. For sure they own the whole KTM range for testing, would like to know if any of competitors use tho have more then one bike.

Also running a full scale oil lab is something that is stat of the art in the industry, i guess it is a must if you provide configured units.
They told me the controller is road legal in some countries, so definitely not making emissions worse.

I would say KTM is doing nothing wrong, it is more up to you to see the whole picture.
@RRocket I agree. OEM is going for the regulations and there is still some room left over.
@Crazy Uncle Jon 100% True. It gets problematic when the company makes more then 50% with parts then with motorcycles.

Registered
hello Ede

I am not really in to posting in other threads, but here i can help with info.

Got a chance to talk to their tech chef few times about their product and company. Makes it easier instead of guessing.

To say they "Just" change fuel and timing is not really true.

An example. Duke 390 the original Bosch is calibrating in every 500rpm step, this is enough to hit every permit regulation and enough to get the power they promises (or not) . Coober can do it in worst case every 10rpm if needed. This is 50 time more accurate then original. Also generating own signal like a standalone controller, Compared to dumb products like power commander, or bazzaz i would agree that they are 10 generations ahead, to what we can buy promoted on internet.
I hope you understand the first big difference.

Then there is an industrial background So far on my research coober is definitely involved in engine development, dyno testing and material research, for BMW sure they are involved, based on massive KTM knowledge they have i think there is a link somewhere. For sure they own the whole KTM range for testing, would like to know if any of competitors use tho have more then one bike.

Also running a full scale oil lab is something that is stat of the art in the industry, i guess it is a must if you provide configured units.
They told me the controller is road legal in some countries, so definitely not making emissions worse.

I would say KTM is doing nothing wrong, it is more up to you to see the whole picture.

@RRocket I agree. OEM is going for the regulations and there is still some room left over.

@Crazy Uncle Jon 100% True. It gets problematic when the company makes more then 50% with parts then with motorcycles.
Thanks for the info. Interesting.
I think the funny thing with information like the 10RPM instead of the 500RPM adjustments is that it is extreme difficult to judge if that (10 vs 500) makes the big difference. As stated above I don't know in this case. But I am pretty good with computers and I remember lots of CPU generations which had lots of new features which were supposed to make them so much faster than the last generation. But in reality the extra performance came often from higher CPU frequencies and bigger caches. All the other features probably helped a little but all in all not much.
So I wonder if maybe the Coober would be almost as good even if the would check "only" every 500RPM like KTM. I guess we will never know. They do something better - but not sure which part really makes the difference...

Registered
Thanks for the info. Interesting.
I think the funny thing with information like the 10RPM instead of the 500RPM adjustments is that it is extreme difficult to judge if that (10 vs 500) makes the big difference. As stated above I don't know in this case. But I am pretty good with computers and I remember lots of CPU generations which had lots of new features which were supposed to make them so much faster than the last generation. But in reality the extra performance came often from higher CPU frequencies and bigger caches. All the other features probably helped a little but all in all not much.
So I wonder if maybe the Coober would be almost as good even if the would check "only" every 500RPM like KTM. I guess we will never know. They do something better - but not sure which part really makes the difference...
Agree, at the end it will be close connection to KTM and all bits and bytes together.
We have now 3000 miles with their product and it rocks.

Registered
A 10 RPM step is a ~1000 row map. Perhaps some things are better left to interpolation :laugh:

I personally need a solution where I can edit closed loop maps. There was a guy on here named Josh who reversed his ECU and defined a bunch of tables. If the stock maps have 500 RPM step I wonder if that is just in that area (non-linear). That guy sold his 390 so can't really ask him what he found in his reverse engineering

The cheapest solution if one is resourceful is to physically open the ECU (or better yet, one from ebay) and use a cheap Chinese programmer to read and write the ROM. I think there are a few tuning software packages that can edit them.

Maybe I'll megasquirt this bike :eek:

Registered
I personally need a solution where I can edit closed loop maps.
Then coober is not the way to go for you, it works as a standalone and they have a version to remove the closed-loop, but still locked and configured.

In your case, a standalone ECU is the best solution
We have on our superduke a standalone ecu from Pectel. I think it starts at 5k USD, very good product.
With low cost ECU you are going to replace the Throttle to mechanical version. Then you simple remove the 02 sensor.

Registered
Then coober is not the way to go for you, it works as a standalone and they have a version to remove the closed-loop, but still locked and configured.

In your case, a standalone ECU is the best solution
We have on our superduke a standalone ecu from Pectel. I think it starts at 5k USD, very good product.
With low cost ECU you are going to replace the Throttle to mechanical version. Then you simple remove the 02 sensor.

Now the coober is a standalone? It's been described as a piggy back. They have a version that runs completely open loop? Where is this information is published? You said the power commander was trash compared to this product. But as far as I can tell it is similar to power commander and powertronic piggybacks. Can anyone link to a datasheet for this product??

Registered
Now the coober is a standalone? It's been described as a piggy back. They have a version that runs completely open loop? Where is this information is published? You said the power commander was trash compared to this product. But as far as I can tell it is similar to power commander and powertronic piggybacks. Can anyone link to a datasheet for this product??
You are active in almost every thread on this forum, are you reading what other people type? or just posting, so we all can see you are definitely not reading?

21 - 40 of 68 Posts