KTM Duke 390 Forum banner

61 - 68 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Installed and am enjoying the performance boost at higher RPM's since break in....Its fully warrantied with KTM and I felt necessary since I did a CAT delete and slip on with Werkes USA and DNA Filter...
I wanted to do the same exact setup. How is the sound compared to stock? Super loud? Any other advice?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Is the Coober unit auto adjusting?
So after a little research before I was about to pull the trigger on this unit I came across this on ktmtwins pagehttps://ktmtwins.com/products/coober-ecu-for-ktm-390-rc-duke-17-18. "If you change your header or remove the catalytic converter this ECU is not a magic solution. You must get your bike re-tuned/mapped. The Coober ECU is built to bring the most out of the stock engine mapping."

Looks like I'm going with a Rapid bike evo

·
Registered
101 Posts
So after a little research before I was about to pull the trigger on this unit I came across this on ktmtwins pagehttps://ktmtwins.com/products/coober-ecu-for-ktm-390-rc-duke-17-18. "If you change your header or remove the catalytic converter this ECU is not a magic solution. You must get your bike re-tuned/mapped. The Coober ECU is built to bring the most out of the stock engine mapping."

Looks like I'm going with a Rapid bike evo

This is false. I just removed my cat today and have a coober ECU. the unit is just a general map that makes the bike more rich. I reached out to coober and they sent me a custom map made for the duke with a competition werkes cat delete. If you want to do changes constantly, its not for you. If you build a bike and reach out they will help and provide the proper setup. My setup was dynoed by coober and made precisely for it. Coober is a much higher quality company and hardware. I highly recommend.

·
Registered
20 Posts
This is false. I just removed my cat today and have a coober ECU. the unit is just a general map that makes the bike more rich. I reached out to coober and they sent me a custom map made for the duke with a competition werkes cat delete. If you want to do changes constantly, its not for you. If you build a bike and reach out they will help and provide the proper setup. My setup was dynoed by coober and made precisely for it. Coober is a much higher quality company and hardware. I highly recommend.
Hmm well I may reconsider the Coober. From what I've read Coober can adjust much more than the Rapid Bike EVO, but not self-adjusting. I don't plan to do constant changes but if they can send me a map that I can flash that fits my exact specs then maybe they're the way to go. But by the sounds of it doesn't the power commander do the same? couldn't I just buy that and get custom maps made but for less $$ than the Coober?

·
Registered
941 Posts
The way I read this all, Coober does basically the same as the PowerTRONIC unite BUT it is not customer adjustable in order to take over the warranty from KTM (makes sense as anyone can alter fuel and ignition to their own liking which will present issues with people not understanding a combustion engine in general).
I would not go as far as claiming that Coober is a "much higher quality" company than any other.
These engines are tuned to make the EURO4 or 5 emission regulations and as such run too lean for our liking.
What all ECU's do is to manipulate the OEM ECU in thinking the parameters are different than the OEM pick-up signals.
Coober has created maps for different modifications and so when ordering their unit, you need to supply them with the modifications you have done or plan to do.
With a PowerTRONIC you are able to create your own maps using their software program and a notebook.

·
Registered
101 Posts
The way I read this all, Coober does basically the same as the PowerTRONIC unite BUT it is not customer adjustable in order to take over the warranty from KTM (makes sense as anyone can alter fuel and ignition to their own liking which will present issues with people not understanding a combustion engine in general).
I would not go as far as claiming that Coober is a "much higher quality" company than any other.
These engines are tuned to make the EURO4 or 5 emission regulations and as such run too lean for our liking.
What all ECU's do is to manipulate the OEM ECU in thinking the parameters are different than the OEM pick-up signals.
Coober has created maps for different modifications and so when ordering their unit, you need to supply them with the modifications you have done or plan to do.
With a PowerTRONIC you are able to create your own maps using their software program and a notebook.

Well said. I claim coober to be higher quality simply because the work with KTM whom holds high standards. Other companies make great products, i just trust coober the most.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
89 Posts
Interesting thread! It would be nice to hear more from Coober @coobecu directly on this thread regarding aftermarket exhaust compatibility.

I saw on their website that they now have a "Power Kit" for the 390 including airbox lid filter saying
If you go de-cat, this is the best setup you can get.
https://www.coober.eu/?127,ktm-duke-390-power-kit

Has anyone used this yet? Any feedback?

The Coober website is absolute rubbish. No useful technical info at all :rolleyes:

61 - 68 of 68 Posts