KTM Duke 390 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, found out my duke had a leak from being laid down but previous owner so i had no coolant left... no where in my area sells motorex m3.0 which the manual calls for. I was wondering what other options I have that wouldn’t require me ordering online and it taking forever cause of COVID19.. I heard some people just flush it with distilled water and then use engine ice but unsure how that will play out with my 2016 390. lmk if y’all have experience with different coolants other than motorex

·
Super Moderator
1,046 Posts
He sharpleskm,

Basically you can use ANY modern automotive coolant, I have been using Toyota pre-mixed Super long life coolant for about 4 years now, great stuff (red-ish so easy to check the level as well.
Engine Ice (as many claim) is one of the best cooling-wise but no experience with this.
When changing coolant it is good practise to rinse the system.
Use distilled water with a little white vinegar, run the engine till fan comes on (and off perhaps 2x)
Let the engine cool and flush completely before putting in the new coolant.
Obviously you will need to fix the leak first :rolleyes:
Another option could be a "waterless" coolant such as Evens Waterless.
With such a product you won't have any pressure build-up in the system,
Coolant is not only there to get rid of the heat an engine produces but also to protect against corrosion and in colder climates, it carries some freezing protection as well.
Good luck.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Appreciate the swift response, thanks for all the advice and input! Ill try out the most popular and top rated that the local auto store carries and do that. Thanks again!!
He sharpleskm,

Basically you can use ANY modern automotive coolant, I have been using Toyota pre-mixed Super long life coolant for about 4 years now, great stuff (red-ish so easy to check the level as well.
Engine Ice (as many claim) is one of the best cooling-wise but no experience with this.
When changing coolant it is good practise to rinse the system.
Use distilled water with a little white vinegar, run the engine till fan comes on (and off perhaps 2x)
Let the engine cool and flush completely before putting in the new coolant.
Obviously you will need to fix the leak first :rolleyes:
Another option could be a "waterless" coolant such as Evens Waterless.
With such a product you won't have any pressure build-up in the system,
Coolant is not only there to get rid of the heat an engine produces but also to protect against corrosion and in colder climates, it carries some freezing protection as well.
Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
1,046 Posts
The safest is topping it up with distilled water.
Mixing coolants is not the best of ideas.
In general, the dealers use Motorex 3.0 (as recommended by KTM) however a lot of bikes are filled up by the dealers with the Motorex 5.0 fluid (used for the 690)
M3.0 = pink
M5.0 = green/blue

thanks! so if i were to just top it off with any type could i use any type thats pink and then next week flush it and fill with whatever i decide on?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Definitely flush a few times before replacing with a different type of coolant. This takes a while, as you need to wait for it to cool before draining, then warm up again til the thermostat opens. It took three complete flushes to get all the green coolant out before I replaced it with the recommended Motorex M3.0. Don’t forget to flush the coolant overflow reservoir, too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts