KTM Duke 390 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
I just received the KTM crash bars ordered from my dealer and have found them extremely difficult to install. Bolt won't thread properly and screw holes won't line up. Frustrated.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Follow the instructions. Make sure you install the bolts/fasteners a few threads until you have them all started. I would imagine you will have to strong arm the bars in order to get the holes to line up so that you can get the bolts started.
Or you can resell them and purchase something more attractive.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Follow the instructions. Make sure you install the bolts/fasteners a few threads until you have them all started. I would imagine you will have to strong arm the bars in order to get the holes to line up so that you can get the bolts started.
Or you can resell them and purchase something more attractive.
I did follow the instructions thanks. And I have no problem with the appearance.

You will need to clean the powder coat out of the threads to make them easier to install.
Why on earth wouldn't they do that before shipping them out? Pathetic quality control.

Any suggestions on how to clean the threads? I tried working the bolt in and back several times and it still won't thread through all the way.

·
Registered
33 Posts
You need the correct size of tap to cut the powder coating out and clean up the threads as its pretty tough stuff. As for lining the holes up its a case of trial and error and persevering, it is a bitch of a job that should theoretically take 20-30 minutes tops but took me about 3 hours all in, with lots of cursing and throwing of tools about. I still don't know if mine are on correctly but they seem secure enough, hopefully I will never need to find out.
I think there is already a thread on here about the install of the KTM bars and the problems encountered.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Weird, I installed my SW Motech bars without any issues and OEM bars are finicky?

Then again, those SW Motech bars broke my frame during a minor lowside. Now I've had the OEM ones installed by the dealer as part of the insurance-covered crash repair, so I don't know how hard the install was. I've already managed to have a tip over with the KTM bars and they've held up nicely - earned a scratch but the bike was unharmed this time.

·
Registered
19 Posts
You need the correct size of tap to cut the powder coating out and clean up the threads as its pretty tough stuff. As for lining the holes up its a case of trial and error and persevering, it is a bitch of a job that should theoretically take 20-30 minutes tops but took me about 3 hours all in, with lots of cursing and throwing of tools about. I still don't know if mine are on correctly but they seem secure enough, hopefully I will never need to find out.
I think there is already a thread on here about the install of the KTM bars and the problems encountered.
I did search but didn't find that thread. Will have another look thanks. I guess it's time to invest in a tap and die set as I don't have one. Still, you'd think this would be something done at the factory before shipping them out.

Those SW Motech bars broke my frame during a minor lowside.
That's precisely why I didn't go for the SW Motech bars...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts