KTM Duke 390 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

There has never been a better time to buy a small displacement motorcycle in North America then RIGHT NOW. The Toronto Motorcycle Show was my first taste of not just the RC390 but also the two potential competitors for my dollars, the R3 and CBR300R.

I'm having a difficult time deciding between the three as all carry advantages and disadvantages relative to one another.

Most important IMO is ergonomics. In short, the RC390's ergonomics are pure sex. Currently I have a CBR125R, which seats you more like a standard then a sport bike, so my baseline is that.

I really like how the RC nestles you in there between the tank and rear, er, 'seat'. The ergos are MUCH more racy compared to the other two, but I didnt feel pitched too far forward as to hurt the wrists. One thing the Yamaha guy tried to warn me about was in the event of a drop the RC is much more exposed and will likely be a more costly fix then the other two more beginner bikes.

Whats tripping me up is A)price, purchase price on the RC will likely equal the cost of buying an R3/CBR plus a years worth of insurance. Not to mention that I believe the RC will be classified as a Supersport which will affect rates considerably. B)dealership network, there are 2 'local' KTM dealers, each an hour away in different directions. AFAIK there are no immediate plans for a KTM retailer within Toronto proper.

But then again, being a smaller guy at 5'8 140 lbs soaking wet, the RC390 offers an interesting proposition. Would I even need to upgrade to a larger bike down the line? It already comes with big boy suspension, proper clip ons (not those comfort clips you get on the other two), excellent ergos and a power to weight on par with a few 500's. Yes there is extra initial cost, but my rationale is that I wont get bored of the RC as quick as one might an ordinary CBR300. And thats not to say the CBR or R3 are poor choices, far from it, I want all 3, but I think I want the RC the most...

If you're interested I'm also on the R3 and CBR sites as well.

·
Premium Member
1,630 Posts
..Not to mention that I believe the RC will be classified as a Supersport which will affect rates considerably...
Why would that be, Supersport starts at 600cc?

..Yes there is extra initial cost, but my rationale is that I wont get bored of the RC as quick as one might an ordinary...
There's a reason why KTM has the top motorcycle sales in Europe for 2014, even surpassing BMW. That reason is the Duke/RC 390.

·
Premium Member
1,630 Posts
I don't believe it will happen! If it does I think you will see it on R models (Duke 390R) not the stock models. Just my opinion. :nerd:
Its already been confirmed for the 2015 model, whether you believe it or not.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Its already been confirmed for the 2015 model, whether you believe it or not.
There? As far as I know KTM have announced nothing. Suggest speculation on Indian forums. I have a 2015 KTM Duke 390 (no slipper clutch). Dealers says no known plans.

·
Registered
84 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,630 Posts
Like I said speculation on an Indian site. No test rides or comment from KTM. So as we are in March and 2015 spec on the KTM website doesnt mention a slipper clutch, I am sure it is not coming on a standard Duke or RC in 2015 to the UK but maybe in India.
So the motorcycle.com link not good enough for you?

·
Registered
84 Posts
So the motorcycle.com link not good enough for you?
First of sorry to whoever started this thread as it seems to been hijacked talking about Slipper clutches this will be my last post on the matter.

motorbikewriter.com (if this is the link your talking about can not see a motorcycle.com) only talks about India and he is a single guy in Oz what is he going to know over anyone else?

This is the trouble with forums one person posts something and it gets repeated and repeated and repeated until every thinks it is truth.

There have already been some major bike shows this year (where manufactures are showing off whats new and coming up) and to my knowledge KTM have not mentioned a slipper clutch once. Why would they keep it quite? Until there is a KTM press release it is not happening.

These rumors could even have been started by the competition to hurt sales of the RC and Duke.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Bikes they had at the Toronto show were Euro spec. Rep mentioned slipper for the Duke, nothing about the RC, well actually what he said was that he couldn't confirm. So either he was playing rope-a-dope or he doesn't know if NA RC's will receive the upgrade.

Thanks for all the replies boys. My soul certainly wants the RC and BAD. But my brain is saying hold on and observe. I notice there have been issues with the Dukes so am fearful the RC will repeat the issues in its first year...

Still have my 125, which still does make me smile (something about WOT all dem day LOL)

·
Registered
208 Posts
The one thing I'll say about the Duke (and all KTM bikes) is that they do not have comfortable seats. If you are going to do any extended periods of riding, you should plan on buying some type of seat replacement or cushion.

Just my two cents.

·
Registered
533 Posts
@Nubian I think this is an important factor as well, from Motorcycle.coms look at the Duke but it applies the same to RC...

More importantly, the 390 Duke looks like something special rather than a typical entry-level sportbike that can’t hide its penny-squeezing build sheet.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts