KTM Duke 390 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone.

I am having some sprockets made by a local machine shop for the rear of the KTM duke 390. They will be made out of 7075T6 alloy and will be considerably lighter than standard as well as having 47T. They will have to be supplied in bare alloy in colour as I don't have facilities for anodising.

Who on the site would be interested in one of these sprockets?

I'm not sure on exact price yet but due to each one being machined by hand and each one being a one-off job I suspect they will be reasonably expensive.

If anyone is interested please comment on this thread so I can get the ball rolling.

Kind regards

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
A rough price, although by no means exact is about £55 for the rear sprocket. This is £27.60 for the blank and 2 hours labour at £15 an hour.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry, I forgot to mention, for those interested I will arrange postage to anywhere at cost of buyer.

·
Registered
104 Posts
There's a lot of sprockets available on eBay, anodised and in your choice of tooth count for under £20, chances are you'll be able to find something to fit the Duke so why would you bother making your own?

·
Registered
533 Posts
There's a lot of sprockets available on eBay, anodised and in your choice of tooth count for under £20, chances are you'll be able to find something to fit the Duke so why would you bother making your own?
Sounds like the big thing is the 7075T6 alloy. you know Mos if you can dig up enough interest its possible yo can get the cost to come down ;)

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did look into buying a sprocket in the hope it'll fit but the problem with this is I could spend loads trying to find the one that fits

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The new sprocket is now being machined and should be ready to pick up tomorrow and fitted Friday. I'll let you know what's it's like once fitted.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just a quick one for those interested, I have got the weights of the new sprocket compared to the old. The old weighs 1376g and the new one weighs 412g so that's nearly a kilo in weight difference. I will have the sprocket on the bike tomorrow so I'll let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi folks, just a bit of an update. I now have the sprocket fitted to my bike and wow what a difference, to both looks and performance. Acceleration now feels much, much faster and the biggest benefit for me is the fact that 6th gear becomes a lot more usable and less like an overdrive gear.

Also, if anyone is interested, I can get the sprocket machined and supply a 120 link gold chain for £85 and it'll take 10 days ish before I can post them out.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Hi folks, just a bit of an update. I now have the sprocket fitted to my bike and wow what a difference, to both looks and performance. Acceleration now feels much, much faster and the biggest benefit for me is the fact that 6th gear becomes a lot more usable and less like an overdrive gear.

Also, if anyone is interested, I can get the sprocket machined and supply a 120 link gold chain for £85 and it'll take 10 days ish before I can post them out.
got any pics mos?

When you say 6th becomes more usable what do you base it on? RPM when hitting 6th, speed? Just curious really...

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I can get some pics on Thursday when I'm home as in away for a few days at the moment and I took the car as the weather was awful.

6th pulls a lot better and is more comparable to 5th on the normal sprocket arrangement. You can overtake using 6th gear as opposed to occasionally needing to drop down to 4th. I'm hugely impressed.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Umm first is shorter but it's not what I'd call unusable. It makes pulling off in second a lot easier too

·
Registered
2 Posts

Just PM you!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts