KTM Duke 390 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So.......... It seems that my duke likes to cut out/stall when braking sharply (with the clutch in) once I come to a stop? Anyone else experienced this at all???

·
Registered
72 Posts
Interesting.... this just happened to me 2 days ago. I thought I might have hit the kill switch with my thumb.

I’ll see if I can replicate it. I do remember stopping a little quick because the light changed.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Mine will stall on take off if I'm too light on the gas, but I don't think I've ever had a problem when stopping.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Mines doing this all the time now,twice this morning on a 15 mile commute, I'm starting to get pissed off as it has been leaving me stranded in traffic.
My bikes a 2019 model with 1000 miles on it.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Never had any issue with mine stalling. If it’s a new bike, take it back to the dealer.
You’ve got a two year warranty on this bike.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had the same issue so I got the booster plug and thats fixed it almost completely. I have a 2019 with 750 miles on it.
I have a cat and pre muffler delete so I needed more fuel.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Same here, it’s an hours ride to my nearest dealer and then it’s next to impossible to get home if l have to leave it there as they don’t do courtesy bikes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
So.......... It seems that my duke likes to cut out/stall when braking sharply (with the clutch in) once I come to a stop? Anyone else experienced this at all???
I did read on here somewhere about the kickstand kill switch being the culprit for some people.
Ill post it if I can find it.

·
Super Moderator
1,076 Posts
fox250fox,

how do you brake?
Are you using the engine to brake or pull the clutch and then brake sharply without using engine braking and downshifting?
Most fuel injected (ECU run) bikes do not really like to rev high under power and then have the clutch pulled.
Obviously some bikes resent this more than others.
Perhaps experiment with this?
My nearest dealer b.t.w. is in a neighbouring Country some 300 km's away hence me doing all the work on the bike myself.

·
Registered
465 Posts
All the time. But it’s always when I fail to pull the clutch in enough. It’s a small engine with a small flywheel and it’s very easy to stall it out by locking up the rear wheel. Check your clutch adjustment to make sure it’s disengaging the clutch properly.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
fox, did you say 2 months ago your bike is a 2017 and only had 1300 miles on it? How many miles are on it now?

I'm up too 1760 ish now............I tend to ride the thing like I ride my dirt bikes! It doesn't seem to matter wether I am engine braking beforehand, once the clutch is in and I stop a bit lively it will cut out. Annoying...........

·
Registered
13 Posts
Mine cuts out regardless of how im braking,coming to a gentle stop it will still do it.Since Monday when the bike cut out twice its been totally fine and the only thing im doing differently is i let the bike idle for 30 seconds after i start it.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Right. In the case of both fox250fox and dukeofmark, I'd say 'idle learn' them both, b4 I even considered anything else. But for different reasons, of course.
Have either of you tried doing the '10 minute idle relearn' on your bikes, just in case noone else did, after their batteries were reinstalled, b4 delivery to a new 'you'?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Right. In the case of both fox250fox and dukeofmark, I'd say 'idle learn' them both, b4 I even considered anything else. But for different reasons, of course.
Have either of you tried doing the '10 minute idle relearn' on your bikes, just in case noone else did, after their batteries were reinstalled, b4 delivery to a new 'you'?
I'll do it tonight when i get home from work

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just experienced this last week when coming to a quick stop at a red light. Thought I didn’t pull the clutch in enough but I did

1 - 20 of 31 Posts