KTM Duke 390 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have some LEDs on the way, and am not sure what ohm resistors I should put inline. I see a lot of people talking about it, but no one actually stating what ohm resistors they finally got to work.

Suggestions?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
or would it be easier to just get a new relay? If so, what relay are you guys using?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess here is my question:

if my OEM bulbs are 12v 10W, and I add an LED that has a power consumption of 3W, will a 21.5 Ohm resistor work? These are the resistors I am looking at:

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/rg-racing-turn-signal-resistors

it states that "the 21.5 Ohm resistors when going from 10 watt incandescent turn signals to LED turn signals" and while I am an Engineer, I am not an electrical engineer.

·
Premium Member
48 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Check out this thread on just changing the bulbs to LED, worked fine on my Duke ( cheap too...) https://www.ktmduke390forum.com/forum/parts-accessories/44473-changed-led-turn-signals-bulbs.html

On my Husky 401 Svarp. I when with Rizoma Leggera front turn signals and some other Rizonma on the back. They come with resistors you buy separate.
my goal here is to get rid of the massive and ugly turn signals. i would go with incandescents if that were an option on the signals I am replacing with, but its not.

·
Registered
342 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Motogadget m-Blaze Pins ordred, and R&G resistors. Will report back if this works (unlike most of the other people who have tried to get LEDs to work and just abandon the thread after).

·
Registered
130 Posts
Sorry I don't have the answer to what value works, but here's the theory...

You have 2x10W at present. Changing to 2x3W means you reduced the power consumption by 14W.
To consume 14W using a single resistor you would calculate V squared / W = R, (12x12) / 14 = 144/14 = 10.2 Ohms.
Note that the resistor needs to go in parallel, not series.

That said, the lower the resistor value the more power it is consuming, and it basically turns that power into heat - and in this case a lot of heat!
The 21.5 ohm resistor will only consume half the power and might slow the flash rate enough.

Let us know what happens.

·
Registered
342 Posts
For additional info: The resistors from the original LED indicators in the rear are in the cables to the indicators and these cables runs through that ugly long metal extension. I guess part of the reason for that is because they get warm so they are mounted in an outside part for better heat exchange.
And no, I never measured them and I didn't see the actual resistors. I only noticed the "bumps" in the cables.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The US model does not come with LED, so we have to add resistors.

On a positive note, the above ones work. Now I just need to solder everything up, and reinstall.

Attachments

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Installed the rear, just need to get the fronts off, rewire, and mount.

Attachments

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
also, i ran the lights for about a minute, and the resistors never warmed up.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Fronts are done.

Attachments

·
Registered
123 Posts
Makes sense now... as in, I was wondering how these were gonna look on the Duke.

Of course, I also looked at the time stamps and was trying to figure out... how the heck you got the time off to be putting new lights on your bike. >:D

Hey-hey! Can we get a couple of full iso shots of the bike, so we can see how it blends on the total?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Makes sense now... as in, I was wondering how these were gonna look on the Duke.

Of course, I also looked at the time stamps and was trying to figure out... how the heck you got the time off to be putting new lights on your bike. >:D

Hey-hey! Can we get a couple of full iso shots of the bike, so we can see how it blends on the total?
yeah, give me a few and I will snap a few pics and maybe shoot a video and move around to show angles.

As far as time off, I don't work 24 hours a day :p

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
342 Posts
Just out of interest, are these legal where you live? If not, what kind of fine would you expect?

Just to make it clear, personally I don't care if it's legal. I live in Bangkok and nobody here cares about little issues like that.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
AFAIK there are no local laws on the size of blinkers. ****, you don’t have to actually have them if you use hand signals.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
My buddy is a cop here, and he just walked out as I was sending the last message. He confirmed that size isn’t an issue, more about visibility.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts