KTM Duke 390 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a previous post about the need for skid plate following an accident when a small piece of metal in the road hit my crank case and caused $2,155 in damage. The problem with the 390 Duke is that the vertical seam is in line with the front tire and the plastic protection has a large opening right where something kicked up by the tire can hit the crank case at the vertical seam causing engine oil to leak out quickly. See picture below of the damage.

The parts department at my dealer tried to locate a skid plate for my 2019 390 Duke but couldn't find one. I ordered one from Amazon that cost about $140 but didn't come close to fitting. I decided that what really needs protection is that vulnerable area in the center where there is no protect from the plastic. Using the ill fitting skid plate I bought from Amazon I cut a section 4 inches wide by 8 inches long and bent it to shape based on a card board mock up. The existing plastic is held in place by several bolts and I used four of them to attach my home made partial skid plate. See picture below:

This is not complete protection, rather it adds to the existing engine protection in the most vulnerable area. I think that if that metal piece had hit my crank case off to the side it might have dented it but not cause the oil to leak out. That center seam is what needs protection. Anyone can make this with a piece of aluminum about 1/4 inch thick cut to 4"x8" and bent on a vise and drilled to match the existing bolts.

·
Super Moderator
1,301 Posts
Not sure if they make them for the second-gen Dukes (probably) but I bought 1 for my first-gen as I ride at least 50% on dirt roads and gravel.
A word of caution: although this bash-plate fits my bike correctly, it uses the original front & rear bracket (where the plastic OEM thingy hangs off.
I have had my front bracket thorn off twice (vibration/weight?) and have made a more sturdy one.
I have also drilled (more) holes in the plate in order to allow more (cooling) air onto the sump (ride in the tropics).
You could easily copy this design and make 1 yourself.
It works great keeping rocks, twigs and other stuff away from the engine but I would not go rock climbing with this.

·
Registered
578 Posts
That came out pretty good, what happened to your old engine if you don't mind me asking

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That came out pretty good, what happened to your old engine if you don't mind me asking
I had the original motor repaired by my dealer. My son urged me to buy a used motor on line and replace it. If I were younger I would have fixed it myself but at my age (71) I'd rather just take it to the dealer and let them fix it. So nothing happened to my old motor it just got fixed with the replacement of many part. BTW it's running fine and not leaks.

·
Registered
578 Posts
I had the original motor repaired by my dealer. My son urged me to buy a used motor on line and replace it. If I were younger I would have fixed it myself but at my age (71) I'd rather just take it to the dealer and let them fix it. So nothing happened to my old motor it just got fixed with the replacement of many part. BTW it's running fine and not leaks.
I wouldn't want to do all of that at 71 either lol

1 - 6 of 6 Posts