KTM Duke 390 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
Just a general question - if you had the chance who would swap their Duke 390 for the LAMS approved (Oz and NZ) Ducati Monster 659 ?

Anyone down this way ridden the 659 in comparison to the D390 ?

Cheers

·
Registered
817 Posts
Quick bike no comparison to the Duke, cant throw it as much but still handles well and has enough squirt to satisfy.....but :) its a Ducati their noisy (engine/clutch) and expensive to service or repair so theres a trade off.
I cant say if I would or wouldnt, really depends on what you want out of going for a ride.

·
Registered
51 Posts
The Monster is a bit of a yeah-nahh bike for me. Looks brilliant, plenty of torque, solid handling. On the other side, it's too heavy, horrid in traffic (tall gearing) and very average finish. Epic noise, but equally epic service costs.

That said, I've not ridden a LAMS version, I imagine it's similar (but slower).

bm

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am thinking the exact same thing. I find the Duke a bit small ( bike not engine ) for my liking. I am riding the Ducati in Wellington on Friday. I love my Duke but ...

I am 12 months off a full license and don't know whether I wait or change. New LAMS Triumph Street triple on the way soon also.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I'd go STR over 696 any day. Especially if you're in the mood to flick around. Monsters have a wonderful sound, refined harley like VTwins make such a grumble, but there's a couple guys I see leaving the office everyday on monsters, I see them cutting a jutting inner city light traffic and maybe its my eyes, maybe its just these riders, but they have to seriously swing this thing around, exaggerated leans with massive swings out to come back in. I've never ridden one so thats my anecdote, type of bike you almost need to fight to get it to tip in...

·
Registered
817 Posts
I am thinking the exact same thing. I find the Duke a bit small ( bike not engine ) for my liking. I am riding the Ducati in Wellington on Friday. I love my Duke but ...

I am 12 months off a full license and don't know whether I wait or change. New LAMS Triumph Street triple on the way soon also.
I would wait the 12 months until you get an open license, the Duke will be easier to sell than the Duc (Ducati) for new riders etc.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I havent ridden a ducati before but i think its a bit like comparing apples and oranges. Epsecially when it comes to price.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Cheers all. RichardS - be interested to hear how the test ride goes ! May try and jump on one up here in AKL this wekeend also

1 - 9 of 9 Posts