KTM Duke 390 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2015 duke 200, Previous bike (2009 er6n Kawasaki, 1982 honda nighthawk cb450)
Joined
·
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So looked this up on you tube, First time adjusting my buttons (2015 duke 200) and sure enough they snapped and went through and button pin even fell out. Was able to place them back in. My fix like many others I saw was duct tape. I used 2 layers and cut away excess, and used car key to smooth edges. I wasn't too worried. But I saw this allow moisture in display.

So My questions:
1.) do broken button cover allow moisture into the display causing damage.
2.) Should I buy new cover, and just accept quirk and shitty design?
3.) long term solutions and or fixes?
4.) display upgrade or replacement.

Cheers,

At least I got correct time now.
 

·
Registered
2015 duke 200, Previous bike (2009 er6n Kawasaki, 1982 honda nighthawk cb450)
Joined
·
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
PN is the person FB name? Your talking about parts page correct?
 

·
Registered
2015 duke 200, Previous bike (2009 er6n Kawasaki, 1982 honda nighthawk cb450)
Joined
·
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This looks pretty decent. Maybe better way.
 

·
Registered
2015 duke 200, Previous bike (2009 er6n Kawasaki, 1982 honda nighthawk cb450)
Joined
·
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Look for PN on the Thai KTM FB pages to correct your quirk and shitty designed dash. PS time will be off again tomorrow.
I'm still confused about the PN part?
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
2,536 Posts
 

·
Registered
2015 duke 200, Previous bike (2009 er6n Kawasaki, 1982 honda nighthawk cb450)
Joined
·
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh thanks
 

·
Registered
2015 duke 200, Previous bike (2009 er6n Kawasaki, 1982 honda nighthawk cb450)
Joined
·
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So I should replace it then, just tape for quick fix?
 

·
Registered
2015 duke 200, Previous bike (2009 er6n Kawasaki, 1982 honda nighthawk cb450)
Joined
·
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok cool, When I replace it, I'm going to do something similar to youtube video because The buttons have no flexibility and support so should keep them from breaking. Also I think from day one cover with duct tape to prevent further UV damage from sun.

@KTMasean I talked to PN on facebook. He said he fixes for 1500 and new for 1600. How does he fix the broken buttons? plastic welder or something? and is fix stronger than original?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
So looked this into on you tube, First time changing my buttons (2015 duke 200) and sure enough they snapped and went through and button pin even dropped out. Had the option to put them back in. My fix like numerous others I saw was conduit tape. I utilized 2 layers and remove overabundance, and trade-in vehicle key to smooth edges. I wasn't excessively stressed. In any case, I saw this permit dampness in show.
 

·
Registered
2015 duke 200, Previous bike (2009 er6n Kawasaki, 1982 honda nighthawk cb450)
Joined
·
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So looked this into on you tube, First time changing my buttons (2015 duke 200) and sure enough they snapped and went through and button pin even dropped out. Had the option to put them back in. My fix like numerous others I saw was conduit tape. I utilized 2 layers and remove overabundance, and trade-in vehicle key to smooth edges. I wasn't excessively stressed. In any case, I saw this permit dampness in show.
I'm not sure what your last sentence means " I saw this permit dampness in show" I'm guessing you don't speak english. Did you mean it ended up letting water in?
 

·
Registered
2015 duke 200, Previous bike (2009 er6n Kawasaki, 1982 honda nighthawk cb450)
Joined
·
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So today I took off my speedometer display to open up see if I could come up with better solution. My options were 1.) Replacement best option. but cash is tight. 2.) Glue on piece of rubber over housing. Not bad option. May still do this 3.) Better tape job, until more permanent solution.

3 it is. Materials I used 3m duct tape, aluminum tape, plastic posterboard , superglue.

Tools basic screwdriver, and specialty tool for working on computers, like fine tipped tweezers, and scoopula type thing.good for small clips and seating gaskets in tight spaces.

After several youtube videos disassembly was easy. Just screws. Be careful not to strip. Once I was inside I was hoping remnants of old buttons would be repaired but they were just small fragments.

So used aluminum foil tape to cover buttons then small amount duct tape on inside to seal. Used superglue on insides.

Then 3 more layers of aluminum tape on outside. At this point I reassemble to make sure button pins would function. After confirming. I smoothed edges with plastic tools I had at hand then duct tapes. Because duct tape on side had creases overlap. Think like wrapping up a present. I used superglue to seal hold edge. Trimmed excess. Another layer of duct tape, and reassemble to test button function.

Because buttons didnt work. I open up realized I needed more movement on inside.so tore out previous tape. I then used corrugated plastic board cut small polygon to fit in space. Once it seemed ok tested. But needed another but space to match distance so cut another layer plastic. Used superglue to attach. Reassemble test. It worked but buttons still needed alot pushing.

So i added plastic corrugated piece to outside. Secured with glue, and covered with tape. When using tape smoothing out surface of wrinkles make end product be much better.

It now worked well so one more outerlayer duct tape.

The hardest thing was reseating gasket which was glued together. And stretching to fit in place. Computer tools came in real handy hear.

Tested on bike everything worked refitted and assembled. Hopefully last another month or so.
 

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top