KTM Duke 390 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2015 duke 200, Previous bike (2009 er6n Kawasaki, 1982 honda nighthawk cb450)
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so I'm heading down today to get residency permit. I've inspected the bike once a month ago and test rode it. I got dealer down to reasonable price. I know documents needed for transfer, green book in current owners name, copy of there drivers license/id signed. But if they are a dealer are the greenbooks supposed to be in their name? and should they accompany me to DLT (Department of Land transport office). Should I worry if bike seems find, but there many previous owners in greenbook.

The bike is 2015 200 duke, with just under 20km on odometer. Last ride I inspected belly pan for leaks, around oil. Shocks for seal leaks, It started right up. Engine was clean. Ride was fine. Nothing unexpected. Is there anything I'm missing? this time I'm taking a little light with me, and inspecting chain sprocket, and coolant levels? They claim to have changed fluids (assuming just oil recently).

What will a new chain and sprockets run me in Thailand? And Oil Change Filter? I"m assuming it's reasonable.

·
Administrator
2,536 Posts
Hi tmoney,

Exciting times, right?
I have moved your post to the Asia category rather than the general discussions as your question is very Thailand-related.

From what I know that motorcycle dealers, in general, will not transfer the documents to their names as the bike was bought/traded in with the purpose of selling it.
Transferring documents, in Thailand, is a time-consuming affair and cost money.

If, however, it is a reputable dealer/motorcycle they should take care of the Green Book transfer to your name which might require both of you to visit the DLT.

As for the bike's technical state:
Thai, will always buy the cheapest stuff available, and there are loads available in Thailand.
Oil, brake pads, chain & sprockets, air/oil filters, you name it.

For chain & sprockets check with Dr Bike (BKK) for RK stuff (around THB 1,800 for an O-ring RK chain
For brake pade, contact Gavin at EBC brakes Thailand (HH sinterred/front - organic/rear)
I would stick to Motorex 4T semi synthetic oil, Hi-Flo (brand) or OE oil filter and a solid (no Hurricane SS) air filter

For what it's worth, when you have bought the bike, change the oil, oil filter and perhaps check the brake pads.
If these are the Thai Nexter (or something like that) get some decent EBC pads.
Chain, if already changed from OE will most likely be a JT one, crap, swap out for an RK or EK or DID chain with new sprockets.

Good luck and happy/safe rides.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah very exciting indeed. Thanks for moving makes sense to move it to Aisa. Didn't see there was a Asia section before. My gf said something along lines as you about paperwork, but she doesn't always have right words at hand.

for my inspection: last time I checked for fork seal leaks, looked at head and engine, Belly pan, tires, no signs of leaks or oil. Checked after too. I didn't check coolant but plan on checking that this time, and chain, before taking another test ride. My first ride I was pretty nice on bike and I think need to rev it a bit more this time.

I was thinking same things about changing the oil. However The local ktm shop doesn't seem to try to really understand you. At least in facebook messages. I got something from them about 4500 for service check. I think checking valves and stuff. But not sure if that includes oil change. The Schweine garage (seemed decent had alot big fancy bikes there). they said something like 800 to change oil for full synthetic. But Does that sounds right?
I've been talking to Iniciar sessão no Facebook (KTM parts thailand) Not sure if there good or not seem to know their stuff. Is their shop chiang mai you'd recommend to get oil filter changed?

Also maintenance question: Chain lube, what where should I pick some up? I used Mo S2 Molybdenum disulfide on mountain bike chain. I'm assuming that not great for motorcycle chain. In US I could always just get quality stuff but here, so hard. So appreciate any advice.

For upgrades: I'm thinking maybe change foam in seat to something softer, and eventually I'm thinking crash bars, and rear rack? Opinions?

Anything I'm forgetting or local knowledge for owning bike in CM or Thailand?

Should I get additional insurance?
I'm fairly poor as I'm just teaching English online.

Cheers

Thanks for all the help

·
Administrator
2,536 Posts
Interesting and learning daily, never heard of this KTM parts Thailand FB page.
Seems relatively new with only 900+ followers.
Things that make me cautious are that many things on this FB page are blocked off, for example, they have 900+ followers but looking for the followers the page says: KTM Parts Thailand อะไหล่'s list of followers is unavailable.
On the fly, I wasn't able to see since when this seller started.
All this is not necessarily any problem, just be cautious and build experience.

The THB 800 oil change does not sound crazy to me, providing they supply a real brand oil (many copy oils in Thailand) so either Mobil, iPhone, Motorex or Amsoil I would not settle for Shell, PTT and whatever 'general' brands as too many are fake.
I would also stick to the recommended grade and amount, 15-W50 and 1.5 litres when putting in a new oil filter.
Have them measure out 1.5 litres before filling the new oil as I have seen the most incredible ways some Thai mechanics determine when enough is enough.
Another issue is the fastening of the drain plug.
This is a brittle piece of kit with an o-ring providing the seal.
I have seen Thai torque these, and the bottom strainer drain plug to rear axle spindle torques (Thai NEVER use a torque wrench).

Coolant is pretty easy to check as you can look at the surplus reservoir, wiggle the bike a bit and you should see the level move in between the min- and max line.
Don't worry if it is not filled all the way up till the max line.

Warm the engine up, while riding, and by all means rev her up to the max and through all gears as she'll love this and really comes alive plus it will give you the confidence to go through with the purchase.

For a 2015 bike it might become time to renew the fork seals soonish, unless the previous owners have really looked after her well.
In such case order some SKF from seals from Plot Thailand (BKK) as you won't be able to fins anything better.
They are about THB 1,350/side, oil and dust seal in 1 package.

I have heard about the Schweine Garage (Swiss or German, right?) I have no experience with them though.
My only experience in CM is with the Piston Shop (good English) and that was fine but no idea price-wise.

For chain lube I wouldn't make too much of an issue about brands, probably the stuff you use for the bike is okay.
The main thing is you clean and lube regularly to enjoy your chain for the longest possible.

Upgrades and insurances are very personal and I'll let you figure that out, I, for one, do not use/like crash bars or racks. To me, the seat(s) OE on my 200 and Power Parts on my 390 are fine for me. 350 km days are fine for me.
Insurance I do have and won't ride without.
Good gear to wear (for both) and a quality helmet and gloves would be my advice. Revít provided by Panda Rider in BKK carries some great tropics stuff and a dedicated women's line.

Riding the CM surroundings with all her great curvy roads I can only suggest riding with good tyres of the preferred sizing, in our case 140 rear, 110 front (I know the OE rear is 150).
For me Pirelli Diablo Rosso's have been the way to stay, rubber down on the Duke(s) since 2012, Piston Shop will be able to provide these to you, mount them and balance the wheels.

Wishing you well in the purchase and enjoyable rides for a long time to come.

Keep us posted.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok great I just asked around and saw Piston shop as well, and lots of review. Messaged them answered all my questions. I was already thinking I'd let them do oil change like 1300 something. I'd like to have additional insurance but I guess I'll shop around.
Assero have good rep for pants, but I have huge legs and they don't look like cut to be roomy. I have new Oneal helmet and leather gloves and Tourmaster heavy mesh jacket from states, but i'll more than work for now.

I'll try inquire the used dealer about changing of everything, and last valve check. The bike seemed well maintained.

For upgrades I'll see how seats are after few rides, maybe there ok. If so I'd like tail tidy but that pure cosmetic so. No biggy. I did find foot pegs a bit uncomfortable not sure if that can be changed. But I'll prolly get used it.

I'm a good rider. Which to me means safe and cautious, and work on skill rather than thrill. It's what kept me alive rock, ice, and mountain climbing. But am excited about bike. Tomorrow the day unless I discover something weird.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Follow up question. Why that grade and amount of oil. and what is OEM requirement?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I got it. I went over everything best I could, Brought my high end headlamp, checked all engine gaskets, belly pan, fork seals, couldn't find any leaks. Oil looked clean and at right levels. Brake fluids, and coolant ( a bit low but above min). Still had cobwebs from not being moved. No leaks on concrete. Brakes looked great. Chain and sprocket tight. Chain link said EK on them. Not sure if that's good or bad. 18,000km.
Called US and dealer there looked up vin for me, sent me history pdf. Not much, but orginal engine number. Purchased in Bangkok in 2017. Even though it was 2015 model. Last recorded service 1300km.
The only thing I found was cracking in tread of tires. Not sidewalls. They still had little rubber tassel things. Not sure if this is ok for a bit or should replace right away. Tires are MRF REVZ-C no idea about their quality. Let me know what you guys thnk about tires or anything else.

Took on test ride, gave it more rev's this time, and definitely more get up and go than my first test ride a month ago. Came back repeated checks. Still everything looked good.

So did the deal.

Attachments

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So got Diable Rosso III today, There was only two choices, so I went with cheaper ones. Changed Brake fluid. Found out from dealer vin info the bike was purchase in 2017 in Bangkok, and that person is only other one on Green book. So that makes me 2nd owner. Looks like they got rid bike 2019 after warranty period. And Then I'm guessing it sat from then until now.

Reactions: JingalalaHoe

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Bike is now Legal in Thailand, get plates in about a month. Then transfer it into my name. Don't ask. Thai gf don't need to say more.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
What shitty writing, switching between miles and kilometers. But information is good, even if standardized units aren't. I've been actually doing a bit of low speed drills, and you turns in government building parking lot at night and practicing emergency breaking. Getting used to my clutch friction point. I've been watching Motojitsu channel on you tube seems to have ton of good safety riding tips, as well as advanced stuff. Definitely been good refresher.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I want to close this thread for record and anyone searching similar things. So bike is all sorted. Waiting for number plate. It's in my GF name as we were worried about bike still being registered in bangkok to previous owner. As we bought it from used dealer. Apparently this is normal some permission for dealer to not have their name in green book. The tax hadn't been paid in 3 or 4 years on bike. Which for whatever reason, meant a new green book. It took 3 different trips to Department of Land Transport. First we paid the tax, Second was getting all paperwork in order, and then waiting several days for preparation of green book. Last was inspection. Which people told me could be crazy. The guy checked engine number, and frame, and was done in 90 seconds. No big deal. Just make sure your engine number and frame match green book as well as bike colors. Things can be changed but must be reported to office. So they can update them. Then it was getting green book and tax sticker. Each day was about 500 to 600 baht so around 1500 to 1800 in total. Not really a big deal.

As a side note, I think everything would went smoothly but dealer didn't want to do anything extra. Thai people are lazy in this way often. Just give me my money. Ideally it would of been better to have them come to office with me. But GF got involved. I am planning on transferring everything into my name. Make sure your comfortable with your partner, as this is exact way thai women steal houses bank accounts, and vehicles from significant others and spouses. I trust my gf but **** happens hence the transfer. Anyways hope this helps someone in the future.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts