KTM Duke 390 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I've seen the error "CAN ABS FAILURE" on my console. After multiple trips to the service center, they didn't know the root cause and recently they replaced the "abs modulator" under warranty. I haven't seen the error for a while and I saw it again today.

Is anyone familiar with this issue? The error only occurs when I'm braking. It's quite scary as the abs indicator light turns on indicating that abs is not functional.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Wheel speed sensors ? Wiring problem? Go back to the dealer and live it there till they find it.

Sent from my ASUS_X00HD using Tapatalk

·
Registered
396 Posts
This is just a little technical information. Maybe it helps you with the diagnosis and solving of the problem.
The CAN-BUS is used in the Duke for communication of many devices, i.e. ECU and others.
Physically the CAN-BUS are just two wires with high speed digital signals.

The service connector under the back seat is a connector to the CAN-Bus. It's also called OBD connector for On Board Diagnostics.

You can buy a relative cheap ELM327 adapter and use something like the Torque App to read information from the OBD which is similar but not equal to information from the CAN-Bus.
The Torque App also reads past OBD errors which might help with the diagnosis.
You need an adapter to be able to connect the ELM327 to the Duke connector. It's is described in this forum.

I guess that the error "CAN ABS FAILURE" indicates that there is something wrong with the CAN-Bus or any CAN-Bus connector, the ABS sensor electronics or mechanics or the ECU.
First I would check all electric ABS connections at the wheels. Maybe it's just a lose connector.

·
Super Moderator
1,314 Posts
Wow Ede,

Thanks for this.
As a total electronics no-no this at least gives me an insight on the matter.
I love all the mechanic stuff but when electronics fail, to me, that 'is just swap out' for new :)

This is just a little technical information. Maybe it helps you with the diagnosis and solving of the problem.
The CAN-BUS is used in the Duke for communication of many devices, i.e. ECU and others.

The service connector under the back seat is a connector to the CAN-Bus. It's also called OBD connector for On Board Diagnostics.

You can buy a relative cheap ELM327 adapter and use something like the Torque App to read information from the OBD which is similar but not equal to information from the CAN-Bus.
You need an adapter to be able to connect the ELM327 to the Duke connector. It's is described in this forum.

I guess that the error "CAN ABS FAILURE" indicates that there is something wrong with the CAN-Bus or any CAN-Bus connector, the ABS sensor electronics or mechanics or the ECU.
First I would check all electric ABS connections at the wheels. Maybe it's just a lose connector.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Wow Ede,

Thanks for this.
As a total electronics no-no this at least gives me an insight on the matter.
I love all the mechanic stuff but when electronics fail, to me, that 'is just swap out' for new :)
I know you like to "play" with your bike. You should have a look at OBD as a first step and CAN-Bus as a second.
It's amazing which information are available on OBD and CAN-Bus. I.e. individual wheel speed, brake pressure, temperatures and a lot more.
I build already a CAN-Bus reader based on an ESP32 and I have some ideas what to do with that info - secret project until now. ;)

·
Super Moderator
1,314 Posts
Looking forward to meeting you ones the borders have opened and I am able to fly to BKK again.
Eager to learn more about this but, although this is all interesting info, I am more of a rider.
Next week head up to the north on my Duke 200 with new clutch plates/springs, stator and front brake pads.
Will be an interesting journey planned for 10 days during the monsoon.
I plan to visit some Khmer and other ruins along the way but first a couple of beers with some buddies in Savannaketh.
For my 390 Duke on Phuket I have some stuff lined up to modify, MotoMaster brake rotors, titanium bolts, Frando front calliper (MC already from Frando) and there is a Vizi-Tec brake light modulator on its way

I know you like to "play" with your bike. You should have a look at OBD as a first step and CAN-Bus as a second.
It's amazing which information are available on OBD and CAN-Bus. I.e. individual wheel speed, brake pressure, temperatures and a lot more.
I build already a CAN-Bus reader based on an ESP32 and I have some ideas what to do with that info - secret project until now. ;)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Thank you @Ede . I don't have any equipment right now. I'll check with the service center guys for now. But, I'll definitely read more about this.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey @Ede ,
I visited the service center again. They replaced the wiring harness which didn't fix the issue. Yesterday they replaced the console display. They still don't know the root cause.

One odd thing was that as soon as the mechanic started the bike after replacing the console, the "CAN ABS FAILURE" error popped up again briefly. He mentioned that it could be because of low current supplied from the battery as he connected the OBD device for few minutes to read codes earlier. His justification was that the obd device would've consumed power from the battery and the available current was low when he started the bike. I feel that he was just covering it up to avoid any further investigation. and also the error doesn't say anything related low battery.

It's just weird that they've already replaced abs modulator, wiring harness and console display and still it occurred.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Hey @Ede ,
I visited the service center again. They replaced the wiring harness which didn't fix the issue. Yesterday they replaced the console display. They still don't know the root cause.

One odd thing was that as soon as the mechanic started the bike after replacing the console, the "CAN ABS FAILURE" error popped up again briefly. He mentioned that it could be because of low current supplied from the battery as he connected the OBD device for few minutes to read codes earlier. His justification was that the obd device would've consumed power from the battery and the available current was low when he started the bike. I feel that he was just covering it up to avoid any further investigation. and also the error doesn't say anything related low battery.

It's just weird that they've already replaced abs modulator, wiring harness and console display and still it occurred.
The CAN-BUS and controllers and OBD will use very little power.
How easy or difficult it is to diagnose the problem is probably directly related to KTM's software (in the bike and in their diagnostic tools).
In my experience bike mechanics are exactly that, mechanics. Few are good in electric and even fewer in electronic.

Personally I used the CAN-BUS only to read real time values and I never used it for diagnosis so unfortunately I don't have any better info for you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks @Ede , I'll escalate this issue and ask them to give a written acknowledgment regarding the error. You are correct, the mechanic doesn't look knowledgeable in electronics.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts