KTM Duke 390 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, Got Duke 390 2016 and since I bought it its strange when full throttle and low RPM and it doesn't go immediately. its like chocked and goes after 4k Rpm. Also when at low rpm lets say at 4th gear and full throttle quickly it stops like has no fuel till I release the throttle again. Any ideas? ( changed the fuel filter and air filter is open now)

·
Registered
437 Posts
Sounds normal to me. Why would you be at low revs in fourth? I anticipate people disagreeing with me

When you start the bike KTM remind you that it’s ready to race, which gives some insight into how they set the bike up. Personally I’m never below 4K revs unless I’m waiting at a junction, though I know plenty of people change their bike setup so it will pull from low revs.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I think lots of people think the 390cc engine is a thumper like i.e. the old XT500. They imagine low revs and thump, thump, thump.
That is not what this engine is. It's designed to rev it high. Little power at low RPM, fast revving and a lot of power at high RPM. It's different...

·
Registered
22 Posts
I don't think you guys are reading what he's saying, he said "it stops like has no fuel till I release the throttle again".

That's not normal. In a carburetor bike that happens when the mixture is way too lean. So I'd be guessing that it's a similar situation. Put the air filter back the way it's meant to be and try again. You shouldn't run an open filter without a tune.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Undo whatever was done to the air filter if the problem is gone or improved you then have some idea what is then needed .

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't think you guys are reading what he's saying, he said "it stops like has no fuel till I release the throttle again".

That's not normal. In a carburetor bike that happens when the mixture is way too lean. So I'd be guessing that it's a similar situation. Put the air filter back the way it's meant to be and try again. You shouldn't run an open filter without a tune.
It was the same with the original filter.. Probably is the ECO

·
Registered
3 Posts
What's your shifting like? You can get the same problem if you shift too early. It loses power quickly off the throttle and it's gutless if you shift early. The redline indicator is premature and set for easy street riding. I tape off the red light indicator at the track and I generate so much more power and torque over 7000 rpm. I'm flying over 150 on the back straight in 5th and the red light is blinking the whole **** time and I'm still generating power before I have to turn. You can get away with shifting around 5000-6000 but anything lower and you won't be able to accelerate.

·
Registered
22 Posts
What's your shifting like? You can get the same problem if you shift too early. It loses power quickly off the throttle and it's gutless if you shift early. The redline indicator is premature and set for easy street riding. I tape off the red light indicator at the track and I generate so much more power and torque over 7000 rpm. I'm flying over 150 on the back straight in 5th and the red light is blinking the whole **** time and I'm still generating power before I have to turn. You can get away with shifting around 5000-6000 but anything lower and you won't be able to accelerate.
Why don't you just change the shift light setting? Or is that only with the Gen 1?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Why don't you just change the shift light setting? Or is that only with the Gen 1?
It can be changed on this model, I just haven't gotten around to it yet. I just go by how much power my bike generates since it's not a good idea to look at it on the track (hence taping off the panel). It's a game changer for lap times :p

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi GTodoroff,

With all due respect, I also think you're lugging the engine. WOT at 4k rpm is too low. How does it respond if you shift at 6k or 7k rpm? That's about what I use as a minimum for sporty riding. Usually I keep it around 7k where the engine is responsive and happy. You can get away with cruising at 5k with minimum throttle but really need to downshift to keep the engine happy.

Cheers!
Craig

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I even increased the RPM to 11500 and the blink to 10k. Probably I use to drive 1000cc xD and the torque in low rpm

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm asking because the Guy repairing my bike asked me " why your bike is thinking before go" its like lag at low rpm

1 - 13 of 13 Posts