KTM Duke 390 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are your experiences on riding Duke 390 2017+ on track?
Have you made any modifications to make it better on track?
I have felt the Duke's ergonomics are far from pleasent on track. Handle is kind of too high.
I am also planning to get an RC390 for track use. But really confused whether it's worth it as essentially both have same power train.
Does it make sense to have 2 390s? Or is there anything I can do to make the D390 more track worthy?

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
The Duke is very circuit worthy.
Are you riding for fun or competing?
Modifications would be brakes upgrade, suspension and have a look at Mantra Racing or Athena for ECU flash.
You can add a QS, buy a Li-Ion battery, TYGA header pipe, exhaust, air filter etc.
have fun.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Duke is very circuit worthy.
Are you riding for fun or competing?
Modifications would be brakes upgrade, suspension and have a look at Mantra Racing or Athena for ECU flash.
You can add a QS, buy a Li-Ion battery, TYGA header pipe, exhaust, air filter etc.
have fun.
Thanks for the reply.
Riding for fun and to improve my skills on road.
What about Racedynamics Powertronics v 3.0?
I'm actually afraid to do too much mods as I don't want to sacrifice the reliability since I'm planning to keep this for a long time.

·
Registered
120 Posts
If you're riding to improve skills on road, not to chase lap times and win trophies, then you're more concerned about being faster than you were a month ago, rather than being faster than everyone else. No point in getting a track bike with wildly different ergos, you'd be training yourself to ride a different kind of machine.

There is a point in making your main bike as correct, in terms of handling, as it should be to allow safe and consistent training. This includes getting better suspension or brakes, if you feel they're limiting you. Messing with the powertrain (exhaust, de-cats, ecu) might indeed affect long term reliability and that isn't likely to make you ride better, just gain fractions of a second when racing.

FWIW, my track "mods" as of now include just good tires, crash protection and Powerparts cast foot pegs. I'm looking into upgrading suspension next. The Duke 390 is a very fun and capable track bike, even if it might technically be ever so slightly worse than an RC390. As long as you're in this to gain skills that you'll then carry over to daily riding, stick with the bike that you'll be riding on the street, or at least one that has similar ergonomics and thus riding technique.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I agree with Big Mac for most,

On your question on the PowerTRONIC piggyback, I can safely say go for it.
I run a V3 on both my 200 and 390 and for some years now.
The 200 was equipped after some 12,000 km while the 390 after the first service at 1,000 km.
Long term reliability I believe will increase with the installation.
It is also pre-configured to install their up-shift QS.
Comes with 2 maps, 1 you may use on the track and 1 for road riding.
It is a good thing yo get to know the Duke on track as you will be far more aware of her capabilities as when only riding on the roads.
Start as is and when your skills improve and you encounter limitations due to hardware than upgrade, suspension, brakes etc.
I would though check the rear SAG on the std shock and set this as close as possible to your weight.
Be safe, and have fun.

Thanks for the reply.
Riding for fun and to improve my skills on road.
What about Racedynamics Powertronics v 3.0?
I'm actually afraid to do too much mods as I don't want to sacrifice the reliability since I'm planning to keep this for a long time.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you're riding to improve skills on road, not to chase lap times and win trophies, then you're more concerned about being faster than you were a month ago, rather than being faster than everyone else. No point in getting a track bike with wildly different ergos, you'd be training yourself to ride a different kind of machine.

There is a point in making your main bike as correct, in terms of handling, as it should be to allow safe and consistent training. This includes getting better suspension or brakes, if you feel they're limiting you. Messing with the powertrain (exhaust, de-cats, ecu) might indeed affect long term reliability and that isn't likely to make you ride better, just gain fractions of a second when racing.

FWIW, my track "mods" as of now include just good tires, crash protection and Powerparts cast foot pegs. I'm looking into upgrading suspension next. The Duke 390 is a very fun and capable track bike, even if it might technically be ever so slightly worse than an RC390. As long as you're in this to gain skills that you'll then carry over to daily riding, stick with the bike that you'll be riding on the street, or at least one that has similar ergonomics and thus riding technique.
Thanks.
I was looking forward for a powertronics piggyback not for the power increase, rather for a smoother power band and I read that stock map is lean at some places for passing emission tests. Do you think likewise?

·
Registered
120 Posts
The stock ECU indeed is twitchy and people say it's lean. I've just ordered a Coober piggyback to see if it'll help.

On the track, it doesn't make much difference, but it's a major pain in the ass for moto gymkhana riding

1 - 7 of 7 Posts