KTM Duke 390 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, swapped my 015 390 duke with a 021 390 Duke (BSVI). The new quickshifter+ is an amazing additional to the already feature loaded beast. Quickshifter+ works pretty well except in some points. 2nd and 3rd shifts are utterly jerky after that rest of the gears are smooth but not as smooth as i like it to be. Also noticed something, different rev range has different feel to the quickshifter+, like under 4k rev the shifts are pretty smooth and you don't even feel it, about 6k is also the same, in between that some times its massively jerky, one time it kind of stuck in the middle. Haven't tried it on the higher rev range as just have ridden it approx 550km and still am under break in period.

Is this the same on all of you guys? Is there any way to make this smother?

·
Registered
2021 KTM Duke 390
2 Posts
Try using it above 7500rpm. Also, don't worry about occasionally going above the rev limit. There's nothing stopping you apart from the preset shift light. Don't worry about the engine either.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok noted, as right now i am taking it carefully as of the engine break in period. I will make sure to try it above 7500 rpm. Thank you for the suggestion. Cheers.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Oh dang, does it come with the Quickshifter enabled out the gate? For some reason I thought it had to be unlocked when you get your break-in service.

I just bought my Duke yesterday so I have no idea what I'm doing. Hahaha.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yup buddy it comes stock from the factory. But do check if its the newer 2021 BSVI edition or not. Only the BSVI edition are equipped with it. Also its not just the qucikshifter, its quickshifter+ which means you get both up shifts and down shifts.

Cheers buddy, enjoy and ride hard!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Yup buddy it comes stock from the factory. But do check if its the newer 2021 BSVI edition or not. Only the BSVI edition are equipped with it. Also its not just the qucikshifter, its quickshifter+ which means you get both up shifts and down shifts.

Cheers buddy, enjoy and ride hard!!
Is there a particular way to tell if I have the BSVI edition? I mean I say that but I'm totally gonna hop on tomorrow afternoon and try shifting without the clutch. But still. :p

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
One way to know is, you can check if it has or not through your setting menu. Turn on you bike, and hit the engine switch to on position. No need to start your bike. Go on to setting, motorcycle and there you should see a Quick Shift+ option. (Pic for Reference). If you see that than yes your bike has one, if there is only the option for ABS than it does not have one. You can go ahead and check it now as well.

MY FINGERS ARE CROSSED!!!!:LOL:
Font Material property Gauge Technology Auto part

·
Registered
18 Posts
Welp, you've inspired me to run out to my garage at midnight in flip-flops. Alas, no Quick Shift+ on my TFT. There do seem to be a lot of peculiarities with the US versions of the 390 Duke; perhaps this is one of them. :C

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ohh dang it man, i was counting on it so bad. Any ways weather you have it or not, you still have a very powerful and fun to ride bike at your disposal.

Your enthusiasm shows us that you have made a well decision on getting the Duke 390. No one would run on their flip flops on the middle of the night. Love your attitude.

Keep in having the same attitude and keep on riding hard mate! CHEERS!!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I took the bike out for a long ride this morning and it can totally shift without using the clutch. It does feel a little jerky doing so, so maybe it's something I'm not supposed to do until the break-in service. Who knows!

·
Registered
747 Posts
You can upshift any bike without using the clutch. Since your bike has a slipper clutch it can also downshift without using the clutch lever. The quickshifter is more for racing application where precise matching of revs with gear change is more critical.

·
Registered
747 Posts
I should point out that although you can shift without the clutch it will always come with a price. Clutchless changes with or without a quickshifter are fun but will tend to wear the clutch plates out faster and have the potential to cause more stress through the transmission - for example when you don’t quite get it right and it’s jerky. For racing this is an acceptable price for going faster which is one reason why racing is expensive. For daily riding I recommend and use the clutch lever.

·
Registered
22 Posts
(motorcyclist magazine's Ari Henning's opinion on clutchless shifting)

I don't see how the clutch plates wear out faster. I can see the potential for more stress through the transmission, if the shifts aren't done very smoothly, but if done precisely and smoothly, I don't see how it would add stress to the trans.

·
Registered
747 Posts
(motorcyclist magazine's Ari Henning's opinion on clutchless shifting)

I don't see how the clutch plates wear out faster. I can see the potential for more stress through the transmission, if the shifts aren't done very smoothly, but if done precisely and smoothly, I don't see how it would add stress to the trans.
Upshifting is rarely an issue but any small mistake will add stress. It’s not going to blow the transmission in a couple of thousand miles, well not unless you do it really badly but every small error is incremental. Whilst I’m sure many of use believe we are highly skilled, the reality is that none of us are perfect all the time.

The clutch plates are part of the transmission and are the primary point where any shock loading will be absorbed. Will it be worse in terms of clutch wear than a poor change with the clutch? Not necessarily.

I change without the clutch all the time. My first car and my current car require double declutching to change gear. But I’m not going to pretend that there isn’t a potential cost.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts