KTM Duke 390 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the Duke 390 the same size as the 690? I know there is a 10kg weight difference and the seat height is slightly higher on the 690 (and the horsepower obviously), but are the bikes the same size?

·
Registered
817 Posts
Nope, totally different frame, suspension, brakes, height, engine, overall quality etc etc. visit the ktm website and compare the spec sheets.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am a a beginning rider (taking my motorcycle classes next weekend) and my first bike will be a Honda Grom (getting it first week of June) do you think the Duke 390 will be a good second bike after the Grom (probably in a year) or should I go for the 690? I live in the US and supposedly the 390 is coming this year, but I wouldn't be buying one for another year or so. I have to get riding down with the little Grom first.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
One thing I'm worried about with the 390 is that I read it is a smaller bike. Does the 390 work well with passengers? I would plan on eventually taking my girlfriend on rides (we are both small) and I don't want it to be too difficult or hazardous.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Yes, the 390 is a smaller bike but it is perfectly capable of carrying a pillion.

My wife (5'2" and about 105lbs) manages okay, but doesn't like the elevated position and slippery seat all that much. If anything the bike feels a little more planted two-up.

bm

·
Registered
264 Posts
One thing I'm worried about with the 390 is that I read it is a smaller bike. Does the 390 work well with passengers? I would plan on eventually taking my girlfriend on rides (we are both small) and I don't want it to be too difficult or hazardous.
The 690 - for a new rider - is much more troublesome with a pillion than the 390. The 390 is lower, lighter and has plenty of power for two up riding up to 70MPH or so.

IF you were an experienced rider the 690 is ok with a pillion but frankly neither bike is really ideal for pillions. If you want to do a lot of pillion work think old school like this below with a long bench seat.

Yamaha SR400: 35th Anniversary Edition | RideApart

·
Registered
2 Posts
I ride a 690 and I carry my missus around from time to time. She said it is much more comfortable on my Duke than on my CBR500R. But I would imagine most naked bikes would have better pillion ergo than (faux) super-sports.

I do not think the 390 is good for pillion if you are going to carry one on regular basis. It is under-powered and severely under-sprung. Besides, comparing to the new price of a 390, I only spent $1k extra to get a 690 with 4000 km and a free Akra pipe ($1k by itself).

To me 690 is a no brainer. I don't know how well a 390 handles, but my grandma can ride my 690. It is a very confidence-inspiring bike.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts