KTM Duke 390 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow KTM owners,

Tired of waiting for the KTM 390 Adventure, I ended up purchasing a KTM Duke 390 and am now getting ready to transform it into an Adventure style motorcycle, to the best of my ability. I hear that some have already gone down this path and I'm hoping to learn from them instead of reinventing the wheel. Here is a list of what I want to do:

1) Raise front shocks by 5 to 6 inches
2) Remove gear shift linkage and move gear shifter to control the gear shift shaft directly. This will move the left front foot peg forward by 3 to 4 inches and downwards by an inch.
3) Make corresponding change to right side foot peg and brake

The idea is to alter the riding position from leaning forward to sitting upright. These are my initial thoughts and I'm wide open to suggestions on better ways to achieve my objective. I have some other modifications in mind, but I want to first get this crucial piece of the puzzle right.

If any of you could point me to people who have done or can do stuff like this, any off-the-shelf parts that I can buy and use, any other information or anything that can help me, I would greatly appreciate it.

·
Registered
440 Posts
"1) Raise front shocks by 5 to 6 inches
2) Remove gear shift linkage and move gear shifter to control the gear shift shaft directly. This will move the left front foot peg forward by 3 to 4 inches and downwards by an inch.
3) Make corresponding change to right side foot peg and brake

The idea is to alter the riding position from leaning forward to sitting upright."

In answer

1) you won't be able to do that, even if you did the handling would be awful at best and down right dangerous at worst.

2) & 3) there's no need to, the 390 has an upright stance already, it's no superbike. You'd be better off leaning the handlebars towards you a bit or buying some handlebar risers to make the reach to the bars a bit more comfortable.

Then you're onto things such as bigger screens, panniers, top boxes etc., some of which is covered in my thread (link below). You might want to look at upgrading your rear shock as well as the standard one fitted is exceptionally basic and doesn't have much of a shelf life.

Here's my 390

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
you won't be able to do that, even if you did the handling would be awful at best and down right dangerous at worst.
Thanks for your feedback. I've ridden adventure bikes with long front forks and I found no problem handling them. I know its not exactly the same thing. But have you actually ridden a 390 with a raised fork?

In any case, for me this is one expensive big experiment. :) If it doesn't work out, or I don't feel comfortable, I'd turn the bike back to stock and either keep it or get rid of it.

·
Registered
440 Posts
You're comparing the merits of a bike with long forks as it was designed to be with a bike who's handling your going to ruin?

If you've already got a motorbike, why not raise and then lower your forks by 10mm and report back.

Thanks for your feedback. I've ridden adventure bikes with long front forks and I found no problem handling them. I know its not exactly the same thing. But have you actually ridden a 390 with a raised fork?

In any case, for me this is one expensive big experiment. :) If it doesn't work out, or I don't feel comfortable, I'd turn the bike back to stock and either keep it or get rid of it.

·
Registered
209 Posts
This is my very own version of an adventure D390. It has already a pretty upright position. However you may find your legs positioned too backwards which is uncomfortable in longer rides.

Given the tires, the fuel autonomy and legs ergonomy this is not an adventure bike, but if you're an urban rider who eventually go for short rides to the country side it's enough.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
This is my very own version of an adventure D390. It has already a pretty upright position. However you may find your legs positioned too backwards which is uncomfortable in longer rides.

Given the tires, the fuel autonomy and legs ergonomy this is not an adventure bike, but if you're an urban rider who eventually go for short rides to the country side it's enough.
Looks like you really put that duke to work :D

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here are my options for raising the handlebar

1) Swap the fork for a longer one
2) Add a handlebar riser
3) Swap the handlebar for a deeper one

The smart thing maybe to do a little bit of all three. However, pretty soon I'll start hitting the limits of the clutch, accelerator, speedometer cables.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Custom Pillion Seat

I started out by customizing the pillion seat to make it thicker and give the rider lumbar support.

Before:

After:

Details on my blog at http://www.deelipmenezes.com/?p=1597

·
Registered
100 Posts
Hi Deelip,

Nice work on Ratchet.
I was wondering if you could share the contact details of Babu Chari in Mapusa so I could get a skid plate made by him. My fabricator 'Chacha' in Poona passed away sadly.

The crash guard you ordered from Aliexpress isn't available anymore and the one's that are do not have sliders.
I was wondering if Babu could fabricate one for me with some modifications if he had yours to base his measurements off? I want the crash guard only for Leh, and need it to carry 2x 2L water bottles.

Have you tried the Ceat Secura and Vertigo Sport tires? I know they fit just fine on a D200.
Looking at Project KTM 390 Adventure | DeelipMenezes.com you've made a lot of modifications, did you not consider wire spoke rims? I feel the lightweight alloys on the D390 are asking to be bent off road.

I live in Poona but come down to Agonda often, do let me know and I'd be happy to buy the first round of drinks.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts