KTM Duke 390 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2021 KTM Duke 390
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently bought a 2021 Duke 390. I was under the impression that the first service should be around 600 miles. When I crossed the 100 mile mark on the bike the red line jumped from 6k to 10k RPM and the service light came on. Is this normal or something I should look into? Thanks!
Sports equipment Vehicle Bicycle handlebar Gauge Bicycle accessory

·
Registered
848 Posts
lt's likely the service reminder was incorrectly programmed.

You can either ignore it and carry on running the bike in, keeping below 6,000rpm and not thrashing it generally. Take it in for the service when the odometer reads 600 miles

Or (and l would do this if the dealer was nearby) take it back and get them to sort it.

The ECU doesn't stop you exceeding the recommended RPM limit for running in, it just warns you if you exceed it.

The arguments about running bikes in stretch long and far, personally l just rode my 390 Duke normally but carefully during the first 600 miles, then gradually increased the RPM after the first service.

·
Registered
848 Posts
lt's possible the owner reset the service indicator, it can be done by pressing the right buttons.

If the bike is running okay it should be fine to just take it back when the odometer reaches 600 miles/1,000km

·
Registered
Duke 390
297 Posts
The arguments about running bikes in stretch long and far, personally l just rode my 390 Duke normally but carefully during the first 600 miles, then gradually increased the RPM after the first service.
A whole ‘nother 40 page topic of its own indeed….😳

I’m kinda with you ! You see / hear everything from a quite frankly ’laboured’ revs and silly slow speed method. To people doing a quick series of brisk runs; to create heat cycles and ‘bed the rings in’ 🤷‍♂️

I’m somewhere inbetween. Obviously fully warm before going over 4K for example: but pretty much drive as normal - varying the speed / revs. You don’t want the engine to Labour, or risk bore glaze.

Conversely you don’t want parts perhaps not fully mated to each other in an Engineering sense: unduly forced to excessive stresses at high RPM. ***Although this is probably less so in this modern age of high tolerance mass production. **Seeing lots of ‘swarf’ in the oil come first oil change is pretty much non existent these days…..

So: The couple of new vehicles I’ve had I’ve pretty much driven as normal when running in / for the first 3-500 miles. Just been careful to avoid the two fairly extreme ends of the Rev range. And then I’ve built it up a bit at a time from there…..

Tin hat on and ready for the oncoming flak 🤣

·
Registered
949 Posts
Conversely you don’t want parts perhaps not fully mated to each other in an Engineering sense: unduly forced to excessive stresses at high RPM. ***Although this is probably less so in this modern age of high tolerance mass production. **Seeing lots of ‘swarf’ in the oil come first oil change is pretty much non existent these days…..

Tin hat on and ready for the oncoming flak
Swarf in the oil first service is quite common with the 390. Make of that what you will, but high tolerance and high quality production, maybe not so much.

I’m running in an engine at the moment and I’m about on board with your suggestions though a Ninties Sportster isn’t exactly modern engine.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Swarf in the oil first service is quite common with the 390. Make of that what you will, but high tolerance and high quality production, maybe not so much.

I’m running in an engine at the moment and I’m about on board with your suggestions though a Ninties Sportster isn’t exactly modern engine.
Ryan-F9 (FortNine) did a decent review of different manufacturers with regards to their engineering/build tolerances and how much "crud" ended up in the oil at the first change. The results were maybe not that surprising, but it was interesting nonetheless.

·
Registered
Duke 390
297 Posts
Ryan-F9 (FortNine) did a decent review of different manufacturers with regards to their engineering/build tolerances and how much "crud" ended up in the oil at the first change. The results were maybe not that surprising, but it was interesting nonetheless.

Interesting - thanks for sharing 👌

1 - 9 of 9 Posts