KTM Duke 390 Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
Duke 390
297 Posts
The arguments about running bikes in stretch long and far, personally l just rode my 390 Duke normally but carefully during the first 600 miles, then gradually increased the RPM after the first service.
A whole ‘nother 40 page topic of its own indeed….😳

I’m kinda with you ! You see / hear everything from a quite frankly ’laboured’ revs and silly slow speed method. To people doing a quick series of brisk runs; to create heat cycles and ‘bed the rings in’ 🤷‍♂️

I’m somewhere inbetween. Obviously fully warm before going over 4K for example: but pretty much drive as normal - varying the speed / revs. You don’t want the engine to Labour, or risk bore glaze.

Conversely you don’t want parts perhaps not fully mated to each other in an Engineering sense: unduly forced to excessive stresses at high RPM. ***Although this is probably less so in this modern age of high tolerance mass production. **Seeing lots of ‘swarf’ in the oil come first oil change is pretty much non existent these days…..

So: The couple of new vehicles I’ve had I’ve pretty much driven as normal when running in / for the first 3-500 miles. Just been careful to avoid the two fairly extreme ends of the Rev range. And then I’ve built it up a bit at a time from there…..

Tin hat on and ready for the oncoming flak 🤣

·
Registered
Duke 390
297 Posts
Ryan-F9 (FortNine) did a decent review of different manufacturers with regards to their engineering/build tolerances and how much "crud" ended up in the oil at the first change. The results were maybe not that surprising, but it was interesting nonetheless.

Interesting - thanks for sharing 👌

1 - 2 of 2 Posts