KTM Duke 390 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys,

I was wondering if by any chance I could swap my 2016 Duke 390 with a newer one, let's say 2017+ or an engine from an RC390? The engine on my bike has blown, the piston rod broke and did too much damage on the inside. The engine is not worth repairing and there's too much work. A new engine would cost me as much as I paid for the whole bike, but I found some used engines online and the 2017 engine looks the same, the engine carriers seem to be in the same place as I look the photos. The prices are okay, from 800€ to 1500€ depending on the mileage. Anyways, let me know if I could throw in an engine from an RC390 or a newer Duke390.

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
1,946 Posts
The engine will fit alright but you will need to the whole shebang as the later ones are RBW and I also believe the air intake pressure/temperature sensor is now located in the airbox instead of the throttle body etc.
The engine on itself should be a straight swap.

·
Super Moderator
1,946 Posts
Well, the loom, airbox (or get a Chimera Cold air intake and you'll probably need to figure out how the old headlight needs to be connected to the new, second series, loom.
No idea if the "old' ECU can be used (would be great as you will still be in the lower Euro regulations).

I don't understand this part, can you elaborate?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, the loom, airbox (or get a Chimera Cold air intake and you'll probably need to figure out how the old headlight needs to be connected to the new, second series, loom.
No idea if the "old' ECU can be used (would be great as you will still be in the lower Euro regulations).
What about the RC390, are there any differences and could that be an easier solution?

·
Registered
807 Posts
The engine will fit alright but you will need to the whole shebang as the later ones are RBW and I also believe the air intake pressure/temperature sensor is now located in the airbox instead of the throttle body etc.
The engine on itself should be a straight swap.
I’d bet the old style throttle body will bolt right on the newer engine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts