KTM Duke 390 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2018 KTM Duke 390
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody out there know a part number for the seal washers for 10mm bolts that go up thru the bottom of 17'-20' fork ends (cartridge bolts)?
In looking at parts diagrams, the bolts nor the seal washers are not shown for some reason, huh?
Stealer was no help at all, he said huh? What do you need those for? Why was I surprised???
Seems like a part to replace while I'm replacing a leaking fork seal? Prudent, no?
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
262 Posts
If they are simply flat aluminum washers, you can place them on a piece of 300-600 grit 'wet' sand paper, on top of a plate of thick glass or granite, and deburr/flatten them by sliding to and fro just enough to accomplish the task. in some cases, it is even acceptable to then 'flip them', if a slight concave condition exists.

the torque is only 18.4 ft-lbs in this application, so any deformity of the washer should only be slight.

a smear of blue locktite (or red anaerobic) on both sides of the washer should act as an additional sealant, but don't use red locktite whatever you do.

18.4 ft-lbs.jpg

·
Registered
2018 KTM Duke 390
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If they are simply flat aluminum washers, you can place them on a piece of 300-600 grit 'wet' sand paper, on top of a plate of thick glass or granite, and deburr/flatten them by sliding to and fro just enough to accomplish the task. in some cases, it is even acceptable to then 'flip them', if a slight concave condition exists.

the torque is only 18.4 ft-lbs in this application, so any deformity of the washer should only be slight.

a smear of blue locktite (or red anaerobic) on both sides of the washer should act as an additional sealant, but don't use red locktite whatever you do.

View attachment 53020
Thanks for your response-
The seal washers are plated steel with a black rubber sealing material applied around the inner diameter of the washer, both sides. Under magnification the material looks just "ok", I'd replace them if I only had a part number to prevent having to pull everything apart again if they leak.
You bring up a good point! If I just can't find a KTM part number or the parts from them, a soft aluminum washer would work well also! Not sure I'd have thought of that one.
I'm not giving up yet, I will be contacting KTM on this if no one in the community can crack the code.
Thx again!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts