KTM Duke 390 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.... not sure if this issue was already discussed...
I just bought my ktm duke 390 2020 model three weeks back. I was shocked to notice there were dangerous rapid wobbles from front wheel once I cross 130kmph. The bike is brand new and was shocked to see this. Also there are no visible defects in wheel or handle bar..I checked air pressure too. All were good and placed right...may be wheel alignment? Or any serious issue...Please share if this is common on ktm duke or specific to bike .
Also share solution to stop the front wobble

·
Registered
92 Posts
Probably out of balance, take it back to the dealership and have them balance it properly. Could just need the tire spun on the rim.

·
Super Moderator
1,690 Posts
A brand new bike? are you keeping to the brake-in recommendations RPM-wise?
Has she had her first service yet?
I do not have the mentioned wobble even around 170 km/h on my 2015 Duke.
At the initial service the dealer checks all/most fasteners, perhaps your triple-clamp nuts securing the forks need checking.

I just bought my ktm duke 390 2020 model three weeks back. I was shocked to notice there were dangerous rapid wobbles from front wheel once I cross 130kmph. The bike is brand new and was shocked to see this. Also there are no visible defects in wheel or handle bar..I checked air pressure too. All were good and placed right...may be wheel alignment? Or any serious issue...Please share if this is common on ktm duke or specific to bike .

·
Registered
42 Posts
Balance beads like Dynabeads
are the best way to balance a wheel.

·
Super Moderator
1,690 Posts
It just came to mind someone on here was saying that a certain type/model of handguards did the same on his bike, perhaps an aftermarket large windscreen?

·
Registered
800 Posts
Yes l had the KTM handguards fitted and it caused a similar instability at higher speeds. l took off the handguards and the bike was fine after that.
Duke 390 2019

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thats weird ..how can the hand guard cause wobble ? Anyways i will give a try and share the feed back...thank you

·
Registered
24 Posts
Thats weird ..how can the hand guard cause wobble ? Anyways i will give a try and share the feed back...thank you
I have the KTM handguards on my 2019 duke 390 and have found that they make no difference on or off at any speed.... I come from dual sports and have put around 80,000 road miles (50,000 with knobbies) on the bikes... so maybe i am just use to the said front end feeling.... but I ride my bikes like I stole them and no wobble. Before or after handguards..... just my experience.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Could be steering head bearings need to be tightened a bit. Mine loosened up after taking it to a dealership.

·
Registered
1 Posts
did you sort this out? if yes how?

·
Registered
313 Posts
Bumping because I also wanna know what happened.
I was shocked to notice there were dangerous rapid wobbles from front wheel...
Quoted so maybe it will hit his inbox again.

Edit: am i the only one who thinks this -- once I cross 130kmph -- means he was riding at 130,000 mph?!?
I will say, it does keep me impressed, yes. and I feel good about that.

·
Super Moderator
1,690 Posts
I probably miss the joke in this post but unless you creep out of the dark Imperial ages you might continue your confused life ;)

Bumping because I also wanna know what happened.

Quoted so maybe it will hit his inbox again.

Edit: am i the only one who thinks this -- once I cross 130kmph -- means he was riding at 130,000 mph?!?
I will say, it does keep me impressed, yes. and I feel good about that.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Mate,

Was this problem solved. Facing same issue beyond 130kmph 2020 december duke 390. It's unpredictable. While driving on the same road, at times i get it and at times even 147kmph and no wobbling. Let us know if you got this solved and how

1 - 20 of 20 Posts