KTM Duke 390 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I'm new here and wish to seek advises. I have just gotten this duke 390 not long. I'm living in a tropical country where its either sunny or rainy only. The heat is quite intense in alot of days.

This duke 390 that I just got, I thought that it could be just my personal tolerance issue but I had never such issue even with vfr and vfr is extremely hot for a 400cc. My whole lower thighs/knee areas were reddish and painful.

I had my mechanic checked out previously and he had changed the coolant, making sure that there's no air etc. He had done everything that I read on Google but its still having this issue.

Can anyone help advise how else can I counter this issue? I read on another Google info that duke 390 is roasting the legs and rc390 isn't so bad as the heat is deflected downwards.I believe I'm not the only one facing this issue. Is there any oem side fairing made to deflect the heat like rc390?

My duke 390 is 2014 model.. its midnight now and still painful. I was wearing a thick long pants.

The temperate bar is always one to minimum 2 bar away from the maximum..

·
Registered
386 Posts
I had a VFR400 and now I have a Duke 390 2017. And I live in Bangkok with tropical climate.

The VFR got hot but the exhaust pipe is far away from the feet and legs.

The Duke gets hot, the exhaust pipe is near the left foot and leg and the fan blows the hot air and that makes it worse.

I wear long jeans and mostly shoes without socks. Me left ankle is permanently heated. And sometimes my thigh is a little red. As far as I see there is no solution. My workaround is to keep my let leg as far away from my bike as possible when I stop. That makes the situation better but it is far away from perfect.

I can't imagine anybody has a solution to this problem but I will follow this thread to look what others have to say.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I'd guess that you are riding relatively slowly to experience that kind of heat discomfort, at faster speeds the heat should just blow away, my only suggestion is ride with your knees pushed out when going slowly, or make some simple protective panels yourself

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had a VFR400 and now I have a Duke 390 2017. And I live in Bangkok with tropical climate.

The VFR got hot but the exhaust pipe is far away from the feet and legs.

The Duke gets hot, the exhaust pipe is near the left foot and leg and the fan blows the hot air and that makes it worse.

I wear long jeans and mostly shoes without socks. Me left ankle is permanently heated. And sometimes my thigh is a little red. As far as I see there is no solution. My workaround is to keep my let leg as far away from my bike as possible when I stop. That makes the situation better but it is far away from perfect.

I can't imagine anybody has a solution to this problem but I will follow this thread to look what others have to say.
I can't put my leg away. I mean there's no way ? I am tip toeing badly as im only 153cm.

Vfr heat makes it too hot for me to press against the tank tho and the heat is intensed esp at noon. But when riding even at noon and far away I swear i never gotten burnt before.

I really hope someone has a solution for us in tropical climate

I'd guess that you are riding relatively slowly to experience that kind of heat discomfort, at faster speeds the heat should just blow away, my only suggestion is ride with your knees pushed out when going slowly, or make some simple protective panels yourself
At here there's alot of traffic lights and stopping. I try to use expressway but alot of times I hit traffic lights and peak hours. So there's really nothing much around for me.

I thought of doing some simple protective panels but I have no idea using what materials and where exactly to target to let the heat go downwards. At first I thought that rc390 and duke390 frame was the same and wanted to use rc390 panels but my mechanic told me is different so my solution can't work

·
Registered
376 Posts
2019 Duke390. No issues. But I stay inside when it is 100 degrees F outside.

·
Registered
222 Posts
make some simple panels lined with cooking foil to reflect some heat, use imagination to shape them, you can probably fit panels from any bike if you are willing to cut, drill and make brackets,
the only way you will get heat to go down is by fitting a fan to blow it down

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
2019 Duke390. No issues. But I stay inside when it is 100 degrees F outside.
If i do that i don't need to go out at all lol

make some simple panels lined with cooking foil to reflect some heat, use imagination to shape them, you can probably fit panels from any bike if you are willing to cut, drill and make brackets,
the only way you will get heat to go down is by fitting a fan to blow it down
Sorry i have never done before and my creativity level for this is.......
I'm willing to cut and make brackets. Any suggestions on what bike panel to fix that is easier for a newbie. And how does it work in fixing a fan to blow down. Thankyou so much for your input

·
Registered
386 Posts
I can't imagine any panel will work. I guess in theory you would have to close the whole left side so that no hot air gets from the pipe to your leg. If you would do that the heat must go somewhere or the bike will overheat. But where should the hot air go? I have no idea how that could possibly work.
I guess the best you can do is wear some heat protective trousers. But that does not sound like fun in tropical climate.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I can't imagine any panel will work. I guess in theory you would have to close the whole left side so that no hot air gets from the pipe to your leg. If you would do that the heat must go somewhere or the bike will overheat. But where should the hot air go? I have no idea how that could possibly work.
I guess the best you can do is wear some heat protective trousers. But that does not sound like fun in tropical climate.
I mean to the shape of duke bikes .. else would be weird if there's panel oversized or sticking out of now where
I thought of this theory too but that means all the way to seat which seems too big. Looking for more suggestions
There's such thing as heat protective trousers? I didn't know but yea thats like way way least of what I want.but everytime suffering a burn if I go somewhere other than nearby isnt fun and kills my passion for riding.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I said any panel will fit if you
'''can cut, drill and make brackets for''',
you can cut a suitable panel to the shape of the exposed engine area,
heat will stop burning your legs, but as said above it will have to go somewhere so it might get to you somewhere else,
if you can't do that then it might be better for you to look for a different bike because the heat will always be there while riding

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
N
I said any panel will fit if you
'''can cut, drill and make brackets for''',
you can cut a suitable panel to the shape of the exposed engine area,
heat will stop burning your legs, but as said above it will have to go somewhere so it might get to you somewhere else,
if you can't do that then it might be better for you to look for a different bike because the heat will always be there while riding
I'm only not open to cutting as i dont have all the tools needed with my handicraft skills down on the dump...
If it could be deflected behind or down I dont think it would be as bad as now? As I own a high heat vfr. Heat is one thing. Another thing is it burning me in pain.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Since this is in the particular location next to the exhaust pipe, why don't you buy and install something like this:

You can install it wherever, and move around if necessary. Search on ebay, or alibaba, or whichever service fancies your nancy, for "motorcycle exhaust heat shield", and hundreds of options pop up (mostly from China).

·
Registered
386 Posts
Since this is in the particular location next to the exhaust pipe, why don't you buy and install something like this:

You can install it wherever, and move around if necessary. Search on ebay, or alibaba, or whichever service fancies your nancy, for "motorcycle exhaust heat shield", and hundreds of options pop up (mostly from China).
Sorry, I can't imagine it will work. The idea about that and other heat shields is that you don't touch any hot parts so that you don't get burned. The problem with the Duke in standing traffic in hot climate is that the hot air comes up from the exhaust pipe and engine. Hot air will always flow up and never down. The Duke has already a strong and noisy fan. How big and noisy should an extra fan be to remove that hot air from there? Such a fan wouldn't fit anywhere.

The only option which I see at least in theory is rerouting the exhaust pipe to under the bike. And then maybe the legs won't get burned anymore but the feet. The engine and exhaust will always produce that heat and it has to go somewhere.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Since all suggestions so far have been shot down, without even trying them, I will support the member before me who suggested buy a different motorcycle that suits your needs better!!

or fashion a nomex leg guard and wear inside or out of your riding gear.

Reactions: varroa

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Am I looking at the wrong place as I thought the heat comes from radiator area as its in the inner thighs/knee area while bearing in mind im tip toeing as im very short.

Wow if its exhaust area there's a few cover I saw that is available for duke

Sorry, I can't imagine it will work. The idea about that and other heat shields is that you don't touch any hot parts so that you don't get burned. The problem with the Duke in standing traffic in hot climate is that the hot air comes up from the exhaust pipe and engine. Hot air will always flow up and never down. The Duke has already a strong and noisy fan. How big and noisy should an extra fan be to remove that hot air from there? Such a fan wouldn't fit anywhere.

The only option which I see at least in theory is rerouting the exhaust pipe to under the bike. And then maybe the legs won't get burned anymore but the feet. The engine and exhaust will always produce that heat and it has to go somewhere.
I'm a bit confused now... so the heat isn't from the radiator area that the fan blows away but from the exhaust?

I think feet is a much better option as I can't see how the feet will be burnt with a thick sole. But I had my sole of shoes melt at exhaust pipe before as a pillon on a 2stroke bike. Idk if this would be as hot as that to melt a sole? What do you think

Maybe thats why this bike isn't too popular in tropical areas..

Since all suggestions so far have been shot down, without even trying them, I will support the member before me who suggested buy a different motorcycle that suits your needs better!!

or fashion a nomex let guests and wear inside or out of your riding gear.
All suggestions? Really?

Some isn't worth trying because of the location at where i am. Also im putting out what I will face. And if I were to use lousy materials wo more knowledge on it, I will only see stuff melted causing more issues.

And if I have zero knowledge. May I repeat. Zero knowledge and skills on cutting wood , plastic panel and not even the tools which is in few hundreds for buffing, cutting etc. I do not see how is it a better idea in thinking of finding a panel that i can just drill a hole, and cable tie it? May not work 100% but I'm sure its much better than me doing all sort of thing to it ruining it.

Also please again bear in my mind my location and temperature. Ty.

My last resort is to selling but if I could salvage it to use i would rather so as i just gotten the bike less than a week or two.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I edited the spelling in my last post.
Maybe there is a sort of leg guard that can be worn, rather than fashioning something for the bike?

·
Registered
386 Posts
As far as I see this exhaust pipe is very hot - a lot hotter than hot water.
And the fan from the radiator blows the hot air from the radiator over that very hot exhaust pipe.
Result: Lots of hot air. If the bike is moving that is not a big problem. But if the bike is standing in traffic, sometimes several minutes, that area get very hot.
As I mentioned above I put my left leg as far away from the bike as I can. But I am a lot taller than CuteNSmall. And my leg still gets hot.
I don't see what kind of cover should be able to remove the heat from the leg. Lots of wind removes the hot air, nothing else.
To give you an idea about the temperature: On my bike the internal air temperature sensor in the air-filter-box measures from time to time over 50 degree Celsius air temperature.

·
Super Moderator
1,235 Posts
Hi CuteNsmall,

An interesting point you posted.
Although I live & ride in the tropics (mainly Laos and Thailand) I have so far bot been bothered by this.
Must say I mostly ride open roads and hardly ever cities.
I don't know where you ride and do not know your budget but a solution can be what Ede suggested, re-route the exhaust to under the engine.
A beautiful solution could be this fantastic design from TYGA Performance:

·
Registered
378 Posts
The exhaust pipe is about 300 degrees celcius, if I remember right. The heat one feels on their left leg is not the air from the hot radiator, blown by the fan or what have you.

Most of the heat one feels is from the exhaust pipe, which is several times hotter than the radiator will ever be.

Hence my suggestion for the heat shield. It's not to avoid getting in contact with the exhaust pipe.

It is to reflect the radiant heat back inside the bike, and prevent it from grilling one's leg.

Am I looking at the wrong place as I thought the heat comes from radiator area as its in the inner thighs/knee area while bearing in mind im tip toeing as im very short.

Wow if its exhaust area there's a few cover I saw that is available for duke
Indeed, I'd bet the heat is coming from the exhaust area, not the radiator. These heat shields are super cheap, try one and see if that improves anything.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts